• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tripwire, why did you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I play violent video games and it doesn't persuade me to go out and kill in the real world. Yet the laws in Germany that censor the games seem to imply that it does. I can understand the censorship of Nazi propaganda and what not due to the past wars and political turmoil but I think the censorship of blood is a bit overboard.

Why don't they censor it so when you get a cut or go into surgery, they put a little black box around it too. Its like the German government over reacts to everything. I heard a while back that they tried to get paintball banned because someone involved in a shooting just happened to play recreational paintball in the past. :rolleyes:

Edit: PS Why is the fire censored in KF too? Shame because when zombies take over the world, Germany's gamers will be helpless when they don't realize that fire can be used as a weapon.

Rather than pasting a wall of text as I usually would, I'll simply respond by noting that in the Japanese release of Bethesda's Fallout 3, the mission where you can detonate a nuclear bomb in the middle of a city rather than disarming it...has been completely removed. It was apparently too similar to the real life events of World War II: the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Laws of today exist due to events of the past, and given Germany's dark past, I can see why the current government is so stringent on censoring violence.

Reactions: PvtHudson
Upvote 0
Cutting DS would also effect the gameplay too much, because strategic dismemberment is THE most important gameplay mechanic in this game.

Well, in KF the gore has also an impact on the gameplay. Headshots indicacte that a zombie is going to die soon, that he can't use his special abilities anymore and they show you directly how many headshots you scored for the sharpshooter perk. Headshots are even required to upgrade that perk!

@all

I usually download games (you know what I mean), because I can't wait that long for an import of the game AND I fear it's censored in Germany. I got friends who bought a German version of a game in stores and then download an English warez-version. This can't be normal. It's so f ucked up.

Reactions: gusone
Upvote 0
Headshots are still there in the cut version , but I have to admit it looks strange. they look like somebody broke the zeds' neck and the head is half hanging on the shoulders IIRC

I also admit it is not such a clear headshot indicator like a missing head on a zed's shoulders, but you are still able to do headshots. and the zeds loose also their special abilities, die soon and you can still level your sharpie ;)
The german version has lowered violence but gamemechanic still works the same.
The headshot mechanic is silly, but not as gamebreaking as zeds that don't visually burn when shot with a flamethrower

Upvote 0
Well, in KF the gore has also an impact on the gameplay. Headshots indicacte that a zombie is going to die soon, that he can't use his special abilities anymore and they show you directly how many headshots you scored for the sharpshooter perk. Headshots are even required to upgrade that perk!

@all

I usually download games (you know what I mean), because I can't wait that long for an import of the game AND I fear it's censored in Germany. I got friends who bought a German version of a game in stores and then download an English warez-version. This can't be normal. It's so f ucked up.

Read The Guns of War by George Blackburn Mr Pirate Games Downloader. If I had my way the Germans would not be shooting Zeds at all but at big yellow bananas, juicy red tomatoes and stringy runner beans after what they did.

Upvote 0
Stop saying things you "don't mean", then?
Hey whoa, I meant it, I may just have exaggerated it somewhat. Possibly by using too extreme an example during the process.
You asked for a reason, I gave you a *good* reason that doesn't involve the irrational need just see blood like you implied to be the only reason to want gory games.
I wasn't asking anyone in general for a reason, I was asking theFleshpound for their reason. You never came into the equation at all, but merely wandered in by accident.
What is your point or are you just giving out random lessons on how the world works?
This. And the purpose of doing so was to bring to light why Germany may have censored it. Simple.
I'm not sure who in this thread needed an explanation for the "reasoning" behind those laws as
Well the title of this thread is "TripWire, why did you..." "...release Killing Floor in Germany?" followed by a rant that reeked of misunderstanding. There's your answer.
by somehow also bringing freaking peadophilia into this.
I could have used anything illegal as an example. Again, I may have picked one more on the extreme. The actual nature of the example is not important, it is only an example. One which you seem to have taken a little worse than others. I was in no way condoning any of these activities. That's for the government to do I guess.
But sure, I "lose" because that rubs me in ways I simply do not like.
That's not what I was saying at all.
lern 2 internet
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/You_Laugh,_You_Lose

Upvote 0
If I had my way the Germans would not be shooting Zeds at all but at big yellow bananas, juicy red tomatoes and stringy runner beans after what they did.
If you had your way then you'd have those of us whining about how we can't get the awesome crazy German version.

But in all seriousness, though, while I haven't read the book I wouldn't put it beyond anyone not to do amazingly awful charm and wit to their fellow human being [EDIT: under highly polarized, stresseful, life-and-death situations], whatever depictions of violence they have or have not seen in fiction.

Depictions of casual violence and abuse between people, the sort you honestly can see yourself doing to the people around you, I think is much more toxic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Read The Guns of War by George Blackburn Mr Pirate Games Downloader. If I had my way the Germans would not be shooting Zeds at all but at big yellow bananas, juicy red tomatoes and stringy runner beans after what they did.
Those Germans who were inhuman, cold-blooded, brutal bastards during the war are either dead now or at least have seen enough real-life gore and don't care about KF's - and those who were not you have no right to patronize.

Upvote 0

Yes, because all living current-day Germans participated in the brutalities of WWII, right? They all condone and are proud of those atrocities, right?

You make yourself sound incredibly ignorant.

Upvote 0
I could have used anything illegal as an example. Again, I may have picked one more on the extreme. The actual nature of the example is not important, it is only an example. One which you seem to have taken a little worse than others. I was in no way condoning any of these activities. That's for the government to do I guess.
You compared pedophilia to cartoon violence.
That's what you did.
It doesn't matter if you condone those activities.
You compared 2 completely unrelated things and thought you said something smart.
Just so you know in case you still don't: the fundamental difference is, one thing doesn't hurt anyone in the world while the other one obviously does.
You might as well compare real war to halo and sound equally smart.

Why I didn't like that was because politicians and the press over here use the same moon logic but at least they have the excuse of obviously never having touched a "videogame" before.

This thread is now officially over and you have to work to get the credibility you just lost back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You compared pedophilia to cartoon violence.
That's what you did.
It doesn't matter if you condone those activities.
You compared 2 completely unrelated things and thought you said something smart.
Just so you know in case you still don't: the fundamental difference is, one thing doesn't hurt anyone in the world while the other one obviously does.
You might as well compare real war to halo and sound equally smart.

Why I didn't like that was because politicians and the press over here use the same moon logic.

This thread is now officially over and you have to work to get the credibility you just lost back.
Oh noes the thread police came in and locked this thread. It was just a flame war anyways.

Upvote 0
Some days I think 9_6 takes this a bit too seriously.
i_respectfully_disagree_with_your_position_on_this_issue.jpg

Upvote 0
The reason why this thread has not been closed is that TWI recognise that occasionally you just need to let the children come out and play. Which is why every so often you will see a long thread which they will generally stay out of unless it turns really ugly. This allows the angry uptight 'yoof' of today to run around the playground for a while arguing who is the cleverest, proclaiming that life isn't fair, shouting at the aging capitalists (me) for being bastards and getting their todgers out on the table to see who has the longest. TWI do this because the alternative would just be a lot of angry threads from young folk that would inevitably end up being slammed shut early causing more resentment from the community and giving more work for the Lords of Infraction.

I still think a vegetable and fruit mutator would work and I stand by that. There's more to life than being able to decapitate a Zed. I know I didn't buy KF for the gore - Team play/ co-op TWI seal of approval etc. Though the gore is nice eye candy anyone who calls no gore 'game breaking' is just being silly and emotional. Of course it would be a lot easier if these young folk went out at the weekend and got rid of that troubling wax dart and then they might actually lighten up but then you got to pity the poor lass at the receiving end of that crusty wad... now that is something that should be banned.

Upvote 0
Wtf man.
You brought ****ing nazis into this for no reason other than "lolgermany".
You're in no position to tell anyone to "brighten up", got a lot of that to do yourself.

****ing idiot.

Calm down. Gusone is a direct kinda guy and probably just an old codger who isn't going to take insults from young whippersnappers too seriously, so just move on from this thread, it's really for the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.