• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Assualt/Commander hero

Rhym3z

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
hi all.

Just wanna point out that i had the option in a match to either chose between
an assault hero or commander hero.

Its said that if i chose these class's i would have access to elite weaponry and some sort of stat bonus.
Also that i would give nearby teammates suppression resistance.

The weapons were the same as normal.
I looked the same as normal too.

I dont know why or how i got this option.
Maybe it was because i was 1st on 2 maps in a row?

im not sure?

anyone else shed some light on this?

How do you know how you looked?

The Hero's appearance is actually pretty subtle. I expected guys running around in long coats, peaked caps and stuff....no. They look like the normal dudes only even dirtier and more torn up. The idea is that new players are fresh to the line. They're clean and young-looking. "Heroes" are really just guys that have survived countless battles. They're filthy, their clothes are ragged and they look aged.

My friend got a hero commendation a couple nights ago and he said he had access to the German assault weapons as a Russian hero, but it seemed buggy and he couldn't pick them. He didn't give it much time before just picking a PPSh and going.

For reference, he was level 80 honor or something and his assault class was pretty experienced too (at least as the game told it.) I think you at the very least need to have a high honor level to be eligible to become a hero.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah but looking back, that's actually pretty unrealistic. And the last person I would want to be in a game of RO2 is a guy that says "Shoot me first!"

It's just the effect is a little too subtle to notice most of the time. Without the badge above their head, you wouldn't know they're heroes unless you actually stopped to look.

Upvote 0
Yeah but looking back, that's actually pretty unrealistic. And the last person I would want to be in a game of RO2 is a guy that says "Shoot me first!"

It's just the effect is a little too subtle to notice most of the time. Without the badge above their head, you wouldn't know they're heroes unless you actually stopped to look.

Agree and Disagree.

I think Hero skins do need a 2nd look over, when Im running to the front line or see a Russian / German pass me and he is a Hero, i want my eyes to be able to go OH HEY hes a freaking hero! I would never ever have taken the time to stare at their uniform and look at the extra dirt, I would have noticed it, but wouldn't have thought thats the hero model though.

Needs a tad bit more difference in uniform between Hero vs Non-Hero IMHO. Give russians a trench coak, idc. Germans, well actually, i havent seen a German hero skin, only Russian.... There are German hero right?

Upvote 0
I think Hero skins do need a 2nd look over, when Im running to the front line or see a Russian / German pass me and he is a Hero, i want my eyes to be able to go OH HEY hes a freaking hero! I would never ever have taken the time to stare at their uniform and look at the extra dirt, I would have noticed it, but wouldn't have thought thats the hero model though.

That's the rub. You want heroes to inspire you visually too, so you'll get up and follow them to your death...but that comes at the cost of their own survivability. To me a guy with a trench coat would stand out like MG tracer fire. The badge certainly satisfies the need to locate them....but not the awe which we kind of require as well.

I agree they could use another pass. But whatever is done needs to be subtle. I'm kind of against anything that would give heroes a more pronounced silhouette, because that's a dead give away. And to be honest, I kind of like their honest, realistic portrayal of heroes...instead of the Hollywood hero we all kind of expected.

Upvote 0
I saw 2 German heroes for the first time last night and I have to say I was very underwhelmed by the experience. The best bit was probably the golden rank insignia by their names :confused:.

I run the game mostly on ultra with a couple of settings on high so maybe I'm not seeing heroes in all their ultra glory but still I'd expect more than what I saw.

I have only seen Axis Assault heroes so can only comment definitely on them but I'll make suggestions for all classes anyway:

• Snipers, could have cloaks and/or camo netting on their weapons? As featured in a lot of the RO2 art.
  • Commanders and Squad Leaders could look a lot more stately. As in fancier hats insignias, holsters etc.
  • Assault are the 2 heroes I saw already but I thought they needed much more than just a dirty jacket and trousers?
  • Riflemen I'm not really sure but something more than just dirt would be better.
  • Machine Gunners could go all out rambo look with ammo belt bandoliers and such :p
  • Engineers and AT well I'm not sure really :confused:.

Upvote 0