• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Clarification please.

You just have to wait for all the randoms to pick a role and then ninja-unlock it for your friends.

How do you know that Altus? Can a tank be locked AFTER it has its multi-human crew of choice?

If so I can forsee a right palaver ensuing...grab a tank, lock it, drive away from the spawn, get your mate to come over while making sure no other humans are nearby (hijackers :D ), unlock it, mate gets in, lock the tank again and go.

Last edited:
Reactions: triple25mm
Upvote 0
because when a tank is locked the randoms will just pick some other role, and eventually your guys can get it.

If it's impossible to lock it without spawning then it might get problematic I guess, but hopefully the devs have thought of that

If there are a number of tanks available with crew-slots to match there will always be human tank-crew respawning. If it's not possible to lock a tank AFTER accepting a multi-human crew of choice it means dedicated crewing will not be possible in this game.

Upvote 0
The way I understand it, tankers don't respawn until the whole tank respawns. It would be very weird otherwise since in RO2 killing crew is a way to disable the tank. PzB rifles would be pretty useless otherwise as someone mentioned earlier.

Hence the original post. After seeing speculation that tank-crews will be able to randomly respawn into any tank already in battle I was hoping for clarification. Dedicated human crews who work exceptionally well together will not appreciate randoms popping into their tanks in the middle of a battle and screwing up their well-oiled action.

Upvote 0
I think when you select the tank commander role and unlock the tank during spawning, you get a mini-roster and can ready up/lock it whenever you're ready. So you could technically roll out with one or two individuals of your choice that always respawn with you, with AI filling in the gaps. I don't think you spawn in a tank that's already in-battle. That'd be a bit odd.

But I'm just speculating based on the spawn menu screens we've been given.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Excuse me,
Guys, I think I've worked out what may happen, although a dev coming on and explaining will help me understand this matter.

Dead crewmen respawn as common infantry right, but as soon as the crewman's tank is destroyed (and he was killed inside it earlier) he will respawn after his next death as the original role he selected, in the same tank. Until he dies, an AI crewman will take his place.

This is more of an idea, but I think it works out better than spawning more tanks or the player waiting until the first tank is destroyed.

Upvote 0
If so I can forsee a right palaver ensuing...grab a tank, lock it, drive away from the spawn, get your mate to come over while making sure no other humans are nearby (hijackers :D ), unlock it, mate gets in, lock the tank again and go.

You don't run up to a tank and enter in RO2. You either spawn in it or not.

PS: BUt yeah, I also would like to see the question answered, but no word from Devs in my thread, i guess they are too busy :/

Upvote 0
You don't run up to a tank and enter in RO2. You either spawn in it or not.

PS: BUt yeah, I also would like to see the question answered, but no word from Devs in my thread, i guess they are too busy :/

Well what would make sense is dare i say what the BF series had. If you want to spawn on someone inside a vehicle you had to be in their group/squad in order to do so.

Any organized dedicated tank crew would be in a group together to begin with so there shouldnt be any problem unless you can't lock your group/squad.

Upvote 0
This is how I have pieced together tank system, DO NOT TRUST MY WORD FOR IT.

Map starts, say 3 tanks available, 3 tank commander classes available.
People jump into "tank commander" and get the option to open or close their tank, if chooses open, tank crew will be able to be selected in spawn menu, if closed, they won't. They can spawn into the AI bots as long as they are alive, if not they have to wait for tank to respawn.

I saw the tank spawn menu once and it looked like it worked this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is how I have pieced together tank system, DO NOT TRUST MY WORD FOR IT.

Map starts, say 3 tanks available, 3 tank commander classes available.
People jump into "tank commander" and get the option to open or close their tank, if chooses open, tank crew will be able to be selected in spawn menu, if closed, they won't. They can spawn into the AI bots as long as they are alive, if not they have to wait for tank to respawn.

I saw the tank spawn menu once and it looked like it worked this way.

I would rather have it that tank commanders are not able to "lock" a tank. Instead they should be able to operate alone, but when a teammate wants to participate, the bot has to go.

Upvote 0
if it's just a general crewman class that you pick, then there's no way of choosing which tank to spawn into though

There are 2 ways to pick a role. If you look at the spawn screen, there's a "class view" and "squad view" buttons at the bortom. One is for generic role picking , the other one gives you an overview of the squads, allowing you to join a specific role in the squad.

Upvote 0
There are 2 ways to pick a role. If you look at the spawn screen, there's a "class view" and "squad view" buttons at the bortom. One is for generic role picking , the other one gives you an overview of the squads, allowing you to join a specific role in the squad.

This.

I remember seeing it I think when Alan was playing, I'll look through the videos later if I have time.

Upvote 0

Makes sense. However, it looks like squad view is selected in the video I linked, and I don't really see any visual representation of separate squads on there. It looks like a role selection screen even though it's supposed to be squads?

Perhaps the SL has to spawn for a squad section to show up on there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting ideas but all stabs in the dark unfortunately. Well, not completely dark, there are clues in the various vids. All I'm concerned about is randoms spawning into my tank in the middle of an action and griefing it. I have some faith that TI would be aware of this issue however, it would just be nice to have a confirmation one way or the other. Me and my bud have both pre-ordered now, but if the tanking is going to be subject to griefing we won't be playing it and would prefer to know in time to retract our orders.

Upvote 0
Interesting ideas but all stabs in the dark unfortunately. Well, not completely dark, there are clues in the various vids. All I'm concerned about is randoms spawning into my tank in the middle of an action and griefing it. I have some faith that TI would be aware of this issue however, it would just be nice to have a confirmation one way or the other. Me and my bud have both pre-ordered now, but if the tanking is going to be subject to griefing we won't be playing it and would prefer to know in time to retract our orders.

Dude, they have clearly stated that you can lock the tank for only you and your friends, nobody has to be afraid that anyone is stealing your tank unless you suspect one of your friends to do that.

The real question that remains is, how does human player respawn for tanks work.

Upvote 0
Dude, they have clearly stated that you can lock the tank for only you and your friends, nobody has to be afraid that anyone is stealing your tank unless you suspect one of your friends to do that.

The real question that remains is, how does human player respawn for tanks work.

Er...wut?:confused:

Go on then, clarify whether or not I can lock my tank AFTER my buddy has got in, whether or not he can respawn into it if it remains locked, and so on and so forth.

Yes, I know the tank can be locked...and that's ALL anyone in this thread is certain of so far.

Upvote 0