Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 02-05-2014, 12:20 PM

Default Potentially revolutionary Ironsights/ADS idea of absolute brilliance :P

One of the main problems gameplay wise and authenticity wise when aiming down the sights is that the sights block out a large amount of the players screen.

E.G. You are aiming up into a window but you can't cover the door beneath the window because your sights are blocking it.Type 99 anyone ? :P

In real-life a solidier with both eyes open would be able to cover that door because when you have both eyes open you can "see through" a large amount of the sights depending on the weapon model.

You can try this by holding your hand infront of you, your thumb facing your nose, simulating an ironsight infront of your eye

You will see that you can actually "see through" your hand until you close one of your eyes = new feature in-game: holding breath also activates closing one eye

By giving the ironsights a slightly blurred transparency effect when not holding breath/zoom this effect from real-life could be portrayed in the game.

= Shouldered weapon with both eyes open to scan the surrounding.

When pressing "hold breath/zoom" the iron sight picture gets solid again as you know it because your soldier would close one eye and hold his breath.

By portraying this effect RO2 would put yet another level of depth and authenticity to the genre and players who prefer guns with larger ironsights would have less of their screen blocked. E.g. Type 99 user would benefit a lot from this.

The MG gunner could have ironsights up, seeing a large portion of the covered area infront of him and when he wants to take a shot he holds breath/zoom = new feature which means he closes one eye and has solid ironsights to aim.

Last edited by Sight; 02-05-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:10 PM

While I would welcome changes that address having 2 eyes....not the fps standard of 1 eye in your forehead. The issue comes that now it is different from every other fps. I know...whats wrong with that? Except this sizable number of players that just can not seem to adapt from whatever fps they first learned to play. Which is propbably why every fps handles gun play generally the same way. Cyclopes shooters.

Why not simply offset the guns sight model to right (assuming right eye dominate)? Why does no game I know do this? Honestly don't know. My guess is that it probably seems strange after years of playing fps as cyclopes.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:09 PM

I am glad you are seeing the benefits that this change would make both gameplay wise and to even add a little bit more authenticity.

As you said this feature is so new and hasn't be done in any other fps to my knowledge an option to enable this feature would make everybody happy.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM

This is one of these things that just has to be tried in order to judge if it will work.. so no idea really.

By Dibbler & Team

Support the IOM - Join unranked IOM servers - Join the IOM group
Signature:©Kleist productions
Old 02-06-2014, 10:17 PM

I'm on board. But I'd rather have the rear sight always partially transparent and blurry for more of an out-of-focus effect than an opening and-closing-one's eye effect.

There are actually some pictures of mine here somewhere showing a concept for the modified sights.

If I had any idea how to reskin weapons in this game...

This is a still from my current project, War According to Video Games-
Preview of "War According to Video Games" - YouTube
Old 02-07-2014, 02:16 PM

while this idea would probably help a good amount, for me the issue this game has that's especially frustrating for machineguns and deployable weapons in general is that while deployed, you are forced looking through the ironsights and can't look around without moving the gun.

this is especially bad with type96/99, because while in reality the top mounted magazine isn't really interfering with your vision, ingame it takes chunk of your already extremely narrow field of view, adding a pretty significant artificial disadvantage compared to other weapons.

arma solved this simply by having a "look around" button, and something along the lines of holding a key and being able to look 90 degrees to the sides without moving your moving would help immensely.

combined with your suggestion it would definitely add not only to immersion, but give player better vision and make everything feels more "alive"