• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Zoom Poll

Zoom Poll

• Zoom when Aiming Down Sight only. Similar depth as now. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 41 18.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. ADS zooms, button controls breathing only

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Similar depth as now. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Zoom in ADS only. Shorter zoom depth. Can zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Zoom any time. Similar depth as now. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath (now)

Votes: 71 32.4%
  • Zoom any time. Shorter zoom depth. Zoom further than regular ADS mode and control breath

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • No zoom at all

Votes: 55 25.1%
  • More zoom

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 3.7%

• Total voters
I find the zoom button spoils my sense of immersion. Now I see where people are coming from with using a screen to simulate what our eyes are capable of IRL, but it still feels wrong to me. When I press the zoom key I don't feel like i'm in the game focussing on a far away target, but instead like I brought invisible binoculars to my eyes. It might be to do with what we're used to in games, it just doesn't work for me anyway. Another thing is that when you zoom the area to the top right of the screen is shown in the same detail as the bottom left..If I were focusing on something far away I wouldn't see things at different distances as clearly as it wouldnt be in focus

From a gameplay perspective, I would rather the zoom was mostly influenced by the gun you choose or to have a uniform zoom level (none).

I used a sniper for the first time yesterday, and it was odd that zooming without looking in the scope actually zooms in 90% as far as the scope does, while at the same time giving you more peripheral vision than the scope. I actually ended up coming out of scope mode to survey the area and if I saw someone while zoomed I would then go to the scope and fire. It just felt wrong on too many levels.

It makes the sniper class less important, because everyone virtually gets the same level of magnification. It encourages players to play statically/passively too.

Anyway thats how I feel about it, I don't hate it, it just doesn't sit well with me

Last edited:
Reactions: aop and Flogger23m
Upvote 0
IMO the buttons are one too many.

It's a huge pita to try and take cover, pop around and aim, and then zoom.

It just feels weird for my hands, pressing 3 buttons simply to aim/shoot, feels like one button too many.

IMO if there's zoom, it should be done automatically when you aim (at least let us have the option). It shouldn't be done when you aren't aiming.

On top of this I agree, the zoom is a bit too far, it should be brought back a little, as it is now it detracts from the important aspect of having a sniper.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMO the buttons are one too many.
Yeah I'm not really sure why you can zoom a bit further after going to iron sights mode. I guess so you have more peripheral vision for closer range shots. Would be better with just less zoom in that case then

If I focus on something in the distance I see the object I'm looking at, but everything else is in less focus. But ingame I can move my eyes to look at the things that wouldn't be in focus irl. Maybe if they keep the zoom it could be blurred except near the centre of the screen

Upvote 0
Thought I would do a breakdown of the results so far. I know 120 odd voters don't represent the whole playerbase but anyway:

36% want zoom only when in iron sights mode, in 1 way or another
20% No zoom at all
4.8% for zoom anytime but reduced zoom total
2.4% more zoom in one way or another, 1.6% other
35.2% Remain as it is now

Needs more voters I guess, but so far its pretty split

Upvote 0
Voted other because that poll is really, really unfocused. It also doesn't cover why you zoom in the first place: To mimic focusing by constricting your field of view while enhancing the target location. Since they can't actually do this with a computer screen, they have a zoom. Just blurring the edges(as was suggested) would pretty much do the opposite of focusing on a spot. It would be equally hard to make out, while you'd lose peripheral vision, just like if you had been drinking heavily. Natural selection would have a field day with anything that used that method of spotting things.

Try looking at something, then shifting your vision to stare at something nearby. The apparent resolution(clarity actually) increases dramatically when you do that. Now someone explain how to make that happen on a monitor and have it work with your human eyes that are already doing this as you scan the screen. Without vision tracking hardware, it's impossible.

Upvote 0
Voted other because that poll is really, really unfocused. It also doesn't cover why you zoom in the first place: To mimic focusing by constricting your field of view while enhancing the target location. Since they can't actually do this with a computer screen, they have a zoom. Just blurring the edges(as was suggested) would pretty much do the opposite of focusing on a spot. It would be equally hard to make out, while you'd lose peripheral vision, just like if you had been drinking heavily. Natural selection would have a field day with anything that used that method of spotting things.

Try looking at something, then shifting your vision to stare at something nearby. The apparent resolution(clarity actually) increases dramatically when you do that. Now someone explain how to make that happen on a monitor and have it work with your human eyes that are already doing this as you scan the screen. Without vision tracking hardware, it's impossible.

This is not the purpose of the zoom. The zoom is there to bring the game world back to a realistic scale. What you're talking about is DOF. You have to stop mixing the two up.

- Paas

Upvote 0
Thought I would do a breakdown of the results so far. I know 120 odd voters don't represent the whole playerbase but anyway:

36% want zoom only when in iron sights mode, in 1 way or another
20% No zoom at all
4.8% for zoom anytime but reduced zoom total
2.4% more zoom in one way or another, 1.6% other
35.2% Remain as it is now

Needs more voters I guess, but so far its pretty split

It's split because the poll is obtuse.

It's like voting in Florida circa 2000.

Upvote 0
Uh....

WTH does "depth" refer to?

What I want:
-No zoom when going into iron sights.
-Additional zoom on the press of a button (also out of ironsights)

Basically, the ArmA2 system.

Umm, you know that you can do that? Just set the weapons zoom to 0.1 and when you want to zoom press shift. Voila, you get the ARMA 2 system. That is how I did it at least.

Upvote 0
People don't want the shift zoom

People don't want the shift zoom

If you look closesly at the statistics the majority of people are against the additional zoom when pressing shift (just add the percentage of people that don't want zoom at all and the others that want zoom but with shift controlling breath only). I think that tripwire should remove this but retain the current zoom when aiming down sights. This will be the best compromise to appease both parties I guess. What do you guys think?

Upvote 0