• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Suppression, and why MG tactics aren't what they should be

Have you ever fired a mg42? at all? because by the look of it, i really doubt you have, and all your so called knowledge stems from ww2 war movies.

Not an MG-42. But I carried the C9 Minimi (M249) and have observed a GPMG heavy support crew in operation. I bet you haven't even done that. I am telling you how I was trained to use the MG in the New Zealand Army. Once again, its the man not the machine.

Get back to me when you have participated in an assault on an enemy position as the gunner in a real infantry unit. I have done it many times using MILES gear and I'm telling you what you THINK it's like is not what its really like. The gunner feels like he failed if the enemy isn't dead when the assault troops get there. Scared just doesn't cut it.

Yes there are some training differences, like the one hand running thing... but don't try to tell me no German EVER used two hands, and no Russian EVER used one. Common sense says otherwise.

Reactions: Yellonet
Upvote 0
To have any kind of supression, the MGs would need to be belt fed. Nobody is scared of an MG that has to slowly reload after only 50 rounds.

How is the person on the receiving end supposed to know whether an MG34 is fitted with a drum or taking belt? It's going to be firing in bursts either way.

Either way, and not speaking from personal experience, I suspect I would be good and truly terrified even if I knew it was a drum or a pan on the MG shooting over my head.

Upvote 0
Not an MG-42. But I carried the C9 Minimi (M249) and have observed a GPMG heavy support crew in operation. I bet you haven't even done that. I am telling you how I was trained to use the MG in the New Zealand Army. Once again, its the man not the machine.

Get back to me when you have participated in an assault on an enemy position as the gunner in a real infantry unit. I have done it many times using MILES gear and I'm telling you what you THINK it's like is not what its really like. The gunner feels like he failed if the enemy isn't dead when the assault troops get there. Scared just doesn't cut it.

Yes there are some training differences, like the one hand running thing... but don't try to tell me no German EVER used two hands, and no Russian EVER used one. Common sense says otherwise.

Now you are just trying to drag the conversation out, in hopes of your stupidity not showing.

You answered my question by telling me stories of modern day weaponry, pretty fail if you ask me.

And yes to answere your question, i have indeed seen war with my own eyes up close, but i don't see the need to brag about it, since it was the most horrific experience i have ever had and will probably stay with me forever.

Upvote 0
Wasn't mg42 later in the war?

You may see it modded perhaps

The MG42 was in Stalingrad. There were roughly twice as many MG34's (probably even more) but the MG42 was there.. would make a good unlock.

And I mean really, we have the Mkb 42 which in all likelyhood was not in stalignrad, so how come the MG42 (which probably was) isn't in there? My first guess would be because the Russians have no unlock counterpart.. nonetheless the MG42 should be implemented

Upvote 0
The MG42 was in Stalingrad. There were roughly twice as many MG34's (probably even more) but the MG42 was there.. would make a good unlock.

And I mean really, we have the Mkb 42 which in all likelyhood was not in stalignrad, so how come the MG42 (which probably was) isn't in there? My first guess would be because the Russians have no unlock counterpart.. nonetheless the MG42 should be implemented

Hugo Schmeisser was manager for the Haenel Company. They designed MKb42 (H). [The

Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0
To have any kind of supression, the MGs would need to be belt fed. Nobody is scared of an MG that has to slowly reload after only 50 rounds.

They are when I'm killing one man every 5 rounds. That's another reason for short bursts. If I pause between short bursts every now and then, I can stop the enemy from figuring out when I'm reloading.

Now if only I could stop my dude from yelling "I'm reloading" I'd be all good.

Reactions: Yellonet
Upvote 0
Now you are just trying to drag the conversation out, in hopes of your stupidity not showing.

Bahaha. Your ad hominem shows the opposite is true.

You answered my question by telling me stories of modern day weaponry, pretty fail if you ask me.

No one is asking you. If they are, they aren't going to get a good answer. You don't know what you're talking about.

And yes to answere your question, i have indeed seen war with my own eyes up close, but i don't see the need to brag about it, since it was the most horrific experience i have ever had and will probably stay with me forever.

I never asked if you had seen war up close. I asked if you had used a machine gun in an infantry unit to assault a position. I have done exercises, but never the real thing. I doubt you've even seen an MG in person.

So why did you feel the need to give me your horror/war story? I don't care about it. Tell me about how you were trained to use an MG and we'll see who knows what.

Upvote 0

^thats why.

it's pretty clear to me that you made it sound like you have attacked an enemy position in real war, wich you now admit is utter bs and it was just excercise.

Last edited:
Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0
I think they do already.
i notice the bullets don't have to be hitting that close to me to give me the suppression effect.
Yes but this don't avoid that you aim and kill the Mg... it has happened to me more the once.

IMO the suppression effect like we have now it's quite ineffective.

Then we can talk about what we want in the game: arcade vs sim? player's skill rewarding more than tactic rewarding?

Look if there was a thing that I hated in RO1 it was the guys running in open ground throwing nades in a bunkers or trenches (kamikaze?) or entering alone in a building full of enemies klling 3 of them and, of course, dying in 2 seconds.

A guy with a bullet flying next to him should only think about his survival and this needs to be simulated to tell the difference from a game like CoD.

A guy alone surrounded by enemies should only think to escape from capture/death.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M60.jpg

That's an awesome looking MG34.

Upvote 0