• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

October update killing my modem

PondLife65

FNG / Fresh Meat
Oct 27, 2009
My first post here so please be gentle!

I have been playing KF pretty much since it came out and am a great fan. I have two computers using steam, depending upon which one I can get access to when other family members want a computer for email etc. Up to the last update everything was fine on both computers except for the longstanding BT Homehub connection issue which happened everytime and was quickly resolved by 'reconnect' twice in the console. One computer is on Vista 32 bit, the other was on Windows 7 RC 32 bit.

Since the update, the Vista computer is fine and no longer needs 'reconnect', so good progress.

The other computer plays online no problem with other steam games e.g. L4D, plays KF solo with no problem and shows achievements and perks, but as soon as I go to the internet multiplayer screen to play online it reboots the homehub every time without exception. So I cannot play KF online and it is somewhat disruptive when I try.

I wondered if it was a windows 7 issue and have installed the proper version as I had it pre-ordered, in both the 32 bit and 64 bit flavours. No difference at all - the modem keeps rebooting immediately. Clearly some sort of magic bullet is issuing. The hardware is identical to before the update, and I was running Windows 7 RC anyway. So as far as I can tell therefore, the only thing that has changed is KF.

I know the homehub is a pain but other than the reconnect issue it was not presenting any other problems before the update, so whilst it is clearly part of the problem in combination with the update (and of course many other people are playing online without a problem) in my case it seems to be the update. I have tried putting my Dlink 655 router outside the DMZ, set and removed the KF ports in both devices, and it has no impact.

Specs of the problem computer are a core i5 in an asus P7P55D motherboard with 4 Gig ram, and an Nvidia 8800 GT GPU. On everything else it runs without any problems.

Grateful for any ideas on tackling this - I have run out of them!

Update

Update

Have since tried Windows XP professional on the same pc - no change at all so would not appear to be an OS issue; have reset BT Homehub to default - no effect either.

What is weird is that it works on one computer (which is a Dell Studio) with no problem) so I wonder if there could be some combination of hardware and KF - but the same hardware was OK before the update.

Upvote 0