• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

not for me - sorry

first, could i suggest haters reply elsewhere. my post is not meant to slam anything or anyone. i read alot of CoD comparisons on here, and putdowns of people who played it (but i take it as CoD set the bar, why else would it be referenced?). i love WW2 shooters and CoDUO/CoD2 had TONS of loyal players and servers - for YEARS, not months. and because so many people came to like that style of play because it was fun for them, don't knock them for it. for me and my friends - we had a blast. plus, you could tweak server files till the cows come home - which enabled everyone to have a server of their own personality. all in all, it was a blast to play and experience.

anyway, the sounds in RO aren't exactly overwhelming for sure. and the nade explosion fx and blast radius fx is very elementary visually. toss a nade so it will time to burst in the air and see what i mean. the graphics/engine/whatever used don't compare to what else is out there right now. disappointing? yes but i as i said, i love ww2 fps and THAT is why i bought it. realism aside - it's simply not as fun as i had hoped. and say what you want (and i know i will rustle some feathers) but if they were to redo CoDUO as it is - without all the this's and that's and addons and unlocks and perks, etc etc of the todays games - with the new engine (not the ro one however), a zillion people would buy it. and (maybe) half the people playing RO would leave to get their WW2 fix where it started for them.

BF2, etc will be out soon and i will move on. but i tried. i really did. but the first time i saw the sorry nade fx, that was it for me. realism also includes that, if weapon sway, etc are so important. plus the weapon sounds need alittle help also.

have at it! :D remember, this is my opinion. try the original half life if you want to shoot AND think. it was the best!

Different people like different things.

CoD is what it is, a successful franchise based off a winning formula that is easy to pick up and play.

People should not expect all shooters to be like that. RO2 is actually doing something progressive by breaking out from the percieved standards that other shooters cling to as a safety net.

Upvote 0
first, could i suggest haters reply elsewhere. my post is not meant to slam anything or anyone. i read alot of CoD comparisons on here, and putdowns of people who played it (but i take it as CoD set the bar, why else would it be referenced?). i love WW2 shooters and CoDUO/CoD2 had TONS of loyal players and servers - for YEARS, not months. and because so many people came to like that style of play because it was fun for them, don't knock them for it. for me and my friends - we had a blast. plus, you could tweak server files till the cows come home - which enabled everyone to have a server of their own personality. all in all, it was a blast to play and experience.

anyway, the sounds in RO aren't exactly overwhelming for sure. and the nade explosion fx and blast radius fx is very elementary visually. toss a nade so it will time to burst in the air and see what i mean. the graphics/engine/whatever used don't compare to what else is out there right now. disappointing? yes but i as i said, i love ww2 fps and THAT is why i bought it. realism aside - it's simply not as fun as i had hoped. and say what you want (and i know i will rustle some feathers) but if they were to redo CoDUO as it is - without all the this's and that's and addons and unlocks and perks, etc etc of the todays games - with the new engine (not the ro one however), a zillion people would buy it. and (maybe) half the people playing RO would leave to get their WW2 fix where it started for them.

BF2, etc will be out soon and i will move on. but i tried. i really did. but the first time i saw the sorry nade fx, that was it for me. realism also includes that, if weapon sway, etc are so important. plus the weapon sounds need alittle help also.

have at it! :D remember, this is my opinion. try the original half life if you want to shoot AND think. it was the best!

The game won't be for everyone. Hope you like whatever game you wind up in.

Personally, I'm having a great time with RO2. I have to question whether or not 4 days is enough time to give a fair assessment, especially given the fact that wrinkles are still being ironed out. But hey, I don't presume to try and make the call for you.

Again, enjoy whatever game you wind up in.

Reactions: Rhym3z and Witzig
Upvote 0
I never really played COD or any of the other AAA titles, at least not for long

if this isn't your game then it isn't, but to have critic on the gun sounds?
I know what TW did to make these sounds, I can only conclude that what you expected is based on the arcady fake sounds that other shooters use.

Which says more about the other games then on RO ;)

Upvote 0
it's simply not as fun as i had hoped.

Same here. i feel the same way,
and i came from absolutely loving RO1.

There so many disappointing problems with this game, and we all know what they are, weather we decide to see them or not.
To me it still feels like its a beta, which i was in when it started.
I will keep my thoughts of why they should have released this later to myself, but i will say that they have really dropped the ball.

The only thing i recommend you do, as i am, is to wait and see what Mods get released.
Because as harsh as it is true, there is a high chance of the mods blowing the original game out of the water.
i've tried to like this game too. i play it everyday, just to come to the same conclusion that its plain dull.
like i said. finger's crossed for the mods tho :D

Upvote 0
I'm curious how many people that say "CoD" on this forum know that before Modern Warfare stuff, CoD was about WW2.

CoD and CoDUO were great games, CoD2 started to get "consolized" (nade indicator and other stuff) and Call of Duty: World at War was ... special :rolleyes:
Anyway, the best for me was CoD:UO. For the exception of crosshair and tanks it really gave me a WW2. Great graphics (for that time - remember it was 2004), 5 or 6 gametypes, nice maps and in a decent number, good weapons (mp40 had more recoil than the one in RO2 :p) ... fun times :D

Upvote 0

He obviously has yet to immerse himself in the Mkb(42) experience. :(

Upvote 0
I'm curious how many people that say "CoD" on this forum know that before Modern Warfare stuff, CoD was about WW2.

CoD and CoDUO were great games, CoD2 started to get "consolized" (nade indicator and other stuff) and Call of Duty: World at War was ... special :rolleyes:
Anyway, the best for me was CoD:UO. For the exception of crosshair and tanks it really gave me a WW2. Great graphics (for that time - remember it was 2004), 5 or 6 gametypes, nice maps and in a decent number, good weapons (mp40 had more recoil than the one in RO2 :p) ... fun times :D
While I didn't get into CoD until the Modern Warfare 1, I do think that particular title was a good one. I'm afraid that the franchise, at that point, became a victim of it's own success. Once it was seen how well the formula worked the series devolved into it's current pattern of annual re-skins devoid of any progress in game play. An unfortunate road to travel, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
re: switchblade

re: switchblade

i was not dishing the effort put into it, nor how it was accomplished. footsteps however, shouldn't be louder than a rifle shot in any game. it is a game isnt it?? cook/toss a nade in the air, and honestly ask yourself if it looks OR sounds remotely realistic? nahhh. the visual fx is poor at best. i'll agree the game is new, etc etc. but they chose to release it, not me. these are only my opinions. a huge majority of these posts talk about how ro2 is all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips...it is not. it's not for me.

and for everyone that do enjoy ro2...awesome for you! that's why there's a variety of games sold because we have our own tastes. but forums shouldn't be just for the sugar responses, and 'arcaday' CoD was not. as in here, you still have to aim. personally, i liked tuning the weapon/explosion sounds on any of my 3 CoD servers. my fav - the kar98 - sounded like an elephant guy. awesome. ;)

Upvote 0
plus the weapon sounds need alittle help also.

Gun sounds too realistic? I'm not saying it's your fault for thinking the gun sounds need help--I would blame every other shooter ever made as well as Hollywood. For some reason, people don't believe a real gunshot when they hear one, so what you actual hear in some games and movies and shows is not realistic. Go to a shooting range sometime or if you have a guns, go shoot them--you'll see what a spot-on job tripwire did with these sounds.

Upvote 0
I think the original Call of Duty for the PC was a ground breaking game. The experience was unparalleled compared to Medal of Honor Allied Assault. I remember playing the demo and watching anti aircraft guns go off into the sky, planes crashing, squad leader yelling over the mg42's pinning us down in a field of dead cows that was reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers, fantastic.

And the game ran really well on mediocre systems!

There were many realism servers for CoD 1 and 2. Cod 2 made up the bulk of my WW2 gaming experience until I found RO1 and Company of Heroes.

As to the sounds discussion, the first thing I noticed when starting up RO2 was how fantastic the weapon sounds were. They aren't overbearing, but they are powerful and I think perfect.

Upvote 0
i served in us army...Headquarters Company, 2nd Brigade (home of the 1/12th and 1/61st mechanized infantry, 1/70th armor battalions, 4th Infantry Division...guns were a big deal. and artillery was absolutely deafening. so yes, i have heard a few guns in my day. are you referring to shotguns for duck hunting? or pistols fired inside of building at a target 25 yards away?

Upvote 0