• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad System in RO2

Wilsonam, but what about my idea of getting rid of fixed ammo boxes with infinite ammo, and instead giving certain riflemen the role of supplying MG ammo. This means that there will only be i.e. 300 rounds per MG, and if you equip the whole squad with them, then the ammo limitation will be immediately felt, because the number of support riflemen will not increase, but possibly even decrease as some of them will pick up MGs and be forced to drop spare ammo due to weight limitations?
There is no "infinite ammo".

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
Thanks Sasquatch for the clarification!

I know this is Red Orchestra but, will there be any UI indications that your squad mates are near you (icons on minimap?)? Will there also be a way to distinguish (on screen) squad mates from regular friendlies? Like a different color on their names or at least an icon on top of their heads?

Upvote 0
Yes, your squadmates tags have a different color to distinguish them from the rest of your team.

wow that's awesome, I've always wished there was a better indication among your friendlies in RO and it always lacked that teamwork beacuse of that. I wouldn't mind even if the name slightly blinked or lighted up or something if someone shouts a voice command so it's easier to tell who's saying it and more oriented what's going on around.

Upvote 0
A question and a suggestion

A question and a suggestion

I had another question for you. If the server is experiencing a gradual increase in players, how are the teams/squads increased in number?

Lets say you have 13 people playing on one side. That is 3 teams of 4 men (plus SL). As more players join, first the individual teams will get an extra player each. You will then reach the max limit of 5 men in each team.

At this point if one more joins, the teams are reduced back to 4 players and all the removed players are moved into a new team. So in the end you have 4 teams of 4 men. This one large squad of 4 teams can automatically split into two squads of 2 teams.

Note: Now as there are two squads, there are two mobile spawns.

Upvote 0
The Squad Leader system is very similar to Battlefield 2, which was great.

And if any of you have ever played Battlefield 2 you would know that Squad Leaders really encouraged teamwork. I'm very glad this system is being added to RO2.

If you like the BF2 system you should try the Project reality system, now that is a good system.

Looking at RO2's system with healthy caution, but I trust its going to be decent, if not great.

Upvote 0
Teams have no significance for spawning. Its the squad leaders that do. When the server reaches 17 players on one side, the next joining player will automatically split this squad into two smaller squads of 9 and there will now be two SLs that can be spawned on, depending on which squad you are in. The class limits should gradually widen as players join so that mg:rifleman ratio stays in a historically accurate proportion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How are fireteams implemented? Do fireteam leaders get to give orders to their fireteam of 3 other guys in a similar manner to commanders and squad leaders, or is it just a case of the squad leader saying "right, break up into groups of 4, X Y and Z lead their respective fireteams, listen to them over VOIP".

Upvote 0