• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Any US Collegiate ruggers out there?

Hey Gents,

Just wondering if there are any US college rugby players on this forum (or just anybody who plays rugby in general), to talk about conditioning/plays/whatever.

I play on the North Dakota State University men's team. We are going to regionals this spring, playing Southern California in the first round. Anyone else gonna be there? Or Maggot fest?

My brother in law plays for University of Arizona.

Upvote 0
I played at college - St. Catz, Oxford - for what it is worth. Quick and willing to hit hard (and a shade late), but the ball-handling skills of a snake. Also played for my local team at home. But the standard was awful - I refused to play again after the oppo centre clothes-lined me and didn't get sent off. Was a ringer for the local Army team a couple of times - that was fairly hilarious.

Upvote 0
I thought you meant people who wear (or should wear) a wig when I saw the thread title. When I saw that Alan had posted, I took it as confirmation. :p

Actually, given my Skeletor-like build, I surprisingly once managed the best rugby 'takedown' ever seen at my school; stopping a guy twice my weight who was running full pelt at me....

I stuck out my index finger and, I kid you not, he ran eye-first onto it. He went down like he was pole-axed.

The ref didn't see it, so I spent the rest of the match trying very hard to be at the opposite end of the pitch from that guy, ball or no ball. He spent the rest of the match looking for opportunities to grind me into the mud.

Upvote 0
Actually, given my Skeletor-like build, I surprisingly once managed the best rugby 'takedown' ever seen at my school; stopping a guy twice my weight who was running full pelt at me....

Haha! Good story! It's funny how the little guys always seem to make the most spectacular tackles.

I'm not very tall/big at 5'8" 175 lbs, but I play blind-side flanker. I had a not so spectacular tackle early this fall season, I tried to tackle the biggest guy on their team (his nickname is Frankenstein) and ended up piggy back riding him for about 10 meters until some of our players could get him. It was kind of fun. hahaha

Me in green jersey and pretty yellow scrum cap :D

65970_1669895552200_1381707146_31758125_4197203_n.jpg

Upvote 0
I played on the Furman team for 2 years. (tiny private school in South Carolina). Two of our greatest moments were 1) Beating a team 117 (maybe it was 113 I can't quite recall, but it was over 100 for sure) to 7.
2) Beating USC (University of South Carolina)... a school with over 40,000 students, while ours had 2500.

But...

We lost the state finals by one point.

Ya. :(.

We won it the year after I left though (decided I wanted to transfer to a giant school in California loaded with cuties... still raising money for that... probably UCLA)

Best sport there is. Really wish it was our "national sport" instead of American football. I can still remember the exhilaration of running with the ball, getting tackled, pushing the ball back, and then covering my head so I didn't get tramped to death. Likewise, making tackles was an incredible feeling. I was one of the few that didn't have a major injury over the entire season (roughly 60% of our team did... a lot of those broken bones). Surprising considering I weighed 165lbs. at 5'11''. I was playing wing, but still got pummeled plenty of times.

EDIT: Tried to find a pic of the team... but I can't seem to find it. It's out there floating on facebook somewhere :D.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I played on the Furman team for 2 years. (tiny private school in South Carolina). Two of our greatest moments were 1) Beating a team 117 (maybe it was 113 I can't quite recall, but it was over 100 for sure) to 7.
2) Beating USC (University of South Carolina)... a school with over 40,000 students, while ours had 2500.

But...

We lost the state finals by one point.

Ya. :(.

We won it the year after I left though (decided I wanted to transfer to a giant school in California loaded with cuties... still raising money for that... probably UCLA)

Best sport there is. Really wish it was our "national sport" instead of American football. I can still remember the exhilaration of running with the ball, getting tackled, pushing the ball back, and then covering my head so I didn't get tramped to death. Likewise, making tackles was an incredible feeling. I was one of the few that didn't have a major injury over the entire season (roughly 60% of our team did... a lot of those broken bones). Surprising considering I weighed 165lbs. at 5'11''. I was playing wing, but still got pummeled plenty of times.

EDIT: Tried to find a pic of the team... but I can't seem to find it. It's out there floating on facebook somewhere :D.

Furman, huh? I'm entirely too familiar with your football team. We - Citadel - lost to them far too many times from 95-99.

Upvote 0
Yup, I played wing, fairly light at about 170Lbs and 6'. Quick in a straight line, couldn't turn corners :)

And there shouldn't be that many major injuries - should shoot your coaches. When done right, tackling hurts the other guy far more than it hurts you!

Upvote 0
We had two guys smack heads, cheek bone to the cranium. The dude's face was caved in, it was a pretty crazy looking injury. He has titanium plates in his cheek now. That was just a fluke, random injury, not even on a tackle, they just ran into each other.

Here's another photo from when the Marine Corps team I was on played the French Foreign Legion team in Djibouti, Africa. I'm the one getting lifted in the green (for some reason I seem to end up on green teams always).

n195700152_30075245_2181.jpg

Post some rugby pics if any of you guys have any

Upvote 0
Yup, I played wing, fairly light at about 170Lbs and 6'. Quick in a straight line, couldn't turn corners :)

And there shouldn't be that many major injuries - should shoot your coaches. When done right, tackling hurts the other guy far more than it hurts you!
Hey, what can I say... the guy took the school to 2 state championship wins ,1 state championship loss by one point, and one NATIONAL championship win in 5 years. Pretty good if you ask me for such a small school :). But then again, we did have some incredible players. One dude was set to join a professional team. Dunno which, haven't been in contact with him.

And sorry to hear that Peter... whenever I watched a game we got our asses whooped. Guess Citadel just really really sucks hahaha. I'd expect more out of dudes who have to wake up at 5 AM and do push ups facing up against essentially a bunch of preppy rich kids. (with exceptions of course, like me, who only got in because I grew up overseas lol and was at the lowest income level, so got a huge scholarship)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And sorry to hear that Peter... whenever I watched a game we got our asses whooped. Guess Citadel just really really sucks hahaha. I'd expect more out of dudes who have to wake up at 5 AM and do push ups facing up against essentially a bunch of preppy rich kids. (with exceptions of course, like me, who only got in because I grew up overseas lol and was at the lowest income level, so got a huge scholarship)

Thing about football scholarships is that the people who are good enough to get them usually try and pick a school that doesn't make you get up early and do pushups and all the other retarded stuff that you do at military academies. That's why Army, Navy and Air Force usually suck the donkey schlong too. :p

Upvote 0