• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rolling grenades and throw back grenades...

The_Emperor - I don't think the animation should be the same. Someone throwing a grenade in panic isn't going to do so with the same accuracy they would normally.

O'Shannon - I don't think that's a throw back screen. He's a German throwing a German grenade, and I doubt it was thrown back twice. I do agree though that cone nade fire or free aim fire with grenades would mean that TKing with nades would be over the top. Not good :-\

Bobdog - I don't think that it will really come down to that. If you're comparing it to hipfire then let me refine that example; it's more like hitting someone with the first shot fired when hip shooting. Which isn't all that common.

Flogger23m - Look man, I don't think it'd be that bad. First of all, it'd only be in a limited circumstance that players would throw a grenade actually back at an enemy. More commonly what would happen, I think, is that people would thow a grenade throw a doorway, a window, down a manhole, or anyother place where it will explode without killing them. I doubt it would make grenades obsolete, since most people will simply run away from it anyway instead of risking the chance that someone cooked it for a second or two.

That being said, I think the best thing to do is to remove the "hand aim" animation and replace it with something else less accurate, or have nades be free aim. But only for throw back grenades. I have absolutely no problem with the way grenades are thrown now. You should be able to thow a grenade accurately, just perhaps not when you're throwing it back.

Upvote 0
I'd give a STRONG no vote to an animated sequence of throwing back a nade... seriously, it's too annoying and frustrating when control is taken away from a player during game-play. Apparently the new Aliens vs Predator is a prime example of this, during certain kills as a Predator you are forced to watch a drawn out kill animation during game-play which u cant end even if you are being attacked... taking control away from a player is always frustrating and annoying and unnatural and should never be implemented... look at the reload animations, they annoy the crap out of me that you can't cancel reload when someone jumps u, u stand there continuing to load ur rifle... u should be able to cancel by using melee so u can beat him down.. this game is about realism and there's nothing realistic about a forced animation and loosing control of your actions. I'm sure there were many times during combat when there was nothing left to do but either face the nade or scramble to throw it away, whether you had 1 second or 3..

Upvote 0
I'd give a STRONG no vote to an animated sequence of throwing back a nade... seriously, it's too annoying and frustrating when control is taken away from a player during game-play. Apparently the new Aliens vs Predator is a prime example of this, during certain kills as a Predator you are forced to watch a drawn out kill animation during game-play which u cant end even if you are being attacked... taking control away from a player is always frustrating and annoying and unnatural and should never be implemented... look at the reload animations, they annoy the crap out of me that you can't cancel reload when someone jumps u, u stand there continuing to load ur rifle... u should be able to cancel by using melee so u can beat him down.. this game is about realism and there's nothing realistic about a forced animation and loosing control of your actions. I'm sure there were many times during combat when there was nothing left to do but either face the nade or scramble to throw it away, whether you had 1 second or 3..

So just make it interruptible.

Upvote 0
With UE3's physics there's no doubt that grenades will behave more realistically when colliding with objects.

As far as throwing them back? Big negative on that.

Didn't these things have fuses that lasted about 5 seconds or less? That's just enough time to fly through the air and explode in somebody's face.

The last thing I'd be doing with my few seconds of time after a grenade lands near me is REACHING TO GRAB IT. I'd be getting the hell out of the way, or at least making a serious effort to.

Also, since grenades will be rolling around more, you won't always be just picking the thing up anyway.

Upvote 0
the major thing for picking up a grenade is when it lands right on your face while prone.

When prone you cannot get up on time and get the hell out of the building, and then you end up just staring at that grenade ticking down for sometimes enough of a time to get it as far from you as possible.

As when you are crouched or standing (if there are interruptible animations) you can just always run away quickly or dive over a wall or whatever. I think that a good compromise would be the ability to throw away a live grenade off the ground only when prone.

Upvote 0
With UE3's physics there's no doubt that grenades will behave more realistically when colliding with objects.

As far as throwing them back? Big negative on that.

Didn't these things have fuses that lasted about 5 seconds or less? That's just enough time to fly through the air and explode in somebody's face.

The last thing I'd be doing with my few seconds of time after a grenade lands near me is REACHING TO GRAB IT. I'd be getting the hell out of the way, or at least making a serious effort to.

Also, since grenades will be rolling around more, you won't always be just picking the thing up anyway.

I don't know about you, but I don't always lob my grenades as far as I can to the other side of the map using up the entire fuse time. I often will flick one through a doorway or into a window above me, meaning only two seconds of the fuse has been used (if I didn't cook the nade that is) leaving at least another two seconds for it to be thrown back out of the window or door way if it has landed directly at the enemies feet. If gives the player choices which is important. If you want to run, then run. If i am willing to die throwing back a nade trying to save myself and everyone else in a room or near by me then allow me that choice. It's realistic and I can't see what peoples problem is with this.
Besides all this the fuses shouldn't be exact, I'm sure they were slightly random. It just adds to the tension and excitement of the game. People seem to be worried about loosing their nade spam kills and having their nades returned to them... most of the time I'm sure the nade will explode in the air just out of range anyways... if anything this will help STOP nade spam, as players will have to think a little more when using their grenades.

Upvote 0
3 seconds still doesn't justify going out of your way to pitch it back when you could be taking cover.

I doubt real soldiers would risk their lives like that, and I don't want RO to give players another reason to ignore the consequences of death in the game.

When prone you cannot take cover, as standing up will take too long that you will die a certain death.

Upvote 0
Reise I don't think anyone in the game would actually run toward a grenade to throw it back if they have a reasonable option to run away or get through a doorway. They'd just be risking death. It's far easier, if you're able, to run away instead of trying to get to a grenade and throw it away. But there are cases when people (myself having been one of them) would benefit from having the ability to throw nades back. If it lands at your feet and there's nowhere to get to, if you're in an inclosed space, like a room with the door shut, or (wouldn't it be cool) if you're in a vehicle, either that or you can't run away because you're prone or your leg's been shot.
It's not that this is your only option when dealing with a grenade. I don't see why anyone would go out of their way to throw a grenade back. I mean, chances are that if it's "out of your way" then by the time you get to it, it will have already exploded. Throwing it back is only a viable option when running away or getting behind cover is not; people will recongnize that.

Upvote 0
When prone you cannot take cover,

You can't throw very far that way either, so you're SOL both ways.

As soon as you give players the option to toss grenades back, that's the first thing that's going to pop into their heads whenever they see one. Not something realistic like taking cover, or hitting the dirt. In-game deaths will be further trivialized when people say, "Hey I'll try and throw this back, if it doesn't work I'll just respawn anyway."

If they made the fuses random, people wouldn't bother trying at all because they never know when the thing's going to blow up in their face. If they were made too predictable, we would have a very gamey feature that seems like it belongs in a hollywood movie.

Maybe a handful of real life soldiers actually managed to toss a grenade back in their time. I really think the exception should not become the rule.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't throw very far that way either, so you're SOL both ways.

If they made the fuses random, people wouldn't bother trying at all because they never know when the thing's going to blow up in their face.

You can throw a nade probably far away enough to survive like behind a rock or or outside a doorway. And that's all that is needed. No need to throw it in the face of an enemy, just get it the hell away from yourself.

If people then generally don't try at all then its success, as people should only try it when the only other option is a certain death. A small chance of survival is always better than simply awaiting death.

For me it's not a big point but I think that with random fuses that throwing back wouldn't become a big issue, of course this would probably need to be tested as would be the case with every feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you throw back smoke grenades ?

I hope this question brings to light for everyone else why there shouldn't be the option to throw back grenades. If a regular grenade can be thrown back (for realism/whathave you), then smoke grenades should apply the same way.

How dumb would it be when a SL throws a smoke to hide his team, that 3 near-by enemies can easily throw it back and disrupt the SL's tactical throw. It would render smoke grenades almost useless.

Grenades should be left as is. I'm sure the vast majority of soldiers, upon seeing a grenade would first RUN AWAY in an attempt to save their own skin. They don't know how long the grenade has been cooked, etc., so best bet is to get out of there as fast as possible in order to survive. Which is what every soldier wanted to happen to them in this war. Survive. We don't want every RO player's first instincts to throw back every nade he sees. That would just be commical...

No WWII soldier ever thought, "hey, if I manage to throw this back, I might kill the German who threw it at me! I'd love to see the look on his face when he sees his own nade sailing back at him. Hur hur. Fun times"

And yet for anyone playing RO with this feature, this is exactly what would be going through their heads.

Much better IMO to run away, let the grenade explode, and prime your own grenade to throw back at that evil nade lobber.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When prone you cannot take cover, as standing up will take too long that you will die a certain death.

exactly what I was going to say. I can't count how many times I've been laying prone when a nade has landed in my face and all I could do was lay and watch it as I thought about my loved ones back home for what seemed an eternity until it blew up in my face. More often than not trying to stand up and run isn't even worth attempted as it takes too long.

What if you are in cover receiving heavy enemy mg fire? A nade lands at your feet, what are your options? Run out of cover and be mowed down or stand and take the blast? In such a situation I would be wanting to try and toss the grenade back or away at least

Upvote 0