• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Epithany About "Magic" Zoom. Read if you hate it.

Read: 300 yards.

Well within the effective ranges of these weapons and the distance most soldiers are trained to fight at.

In fact, the AK-47 was developed precisely BECAUSE most engagements took place within the 300 yard mark. They didn't need the incredible accuracy of a full rifle (that can hit a target well beyond 600 yards with ease) or the blistering RoF of an SMG. They needed a mix of both effective at the usual combat range.

And thus the assault rifle was born.

I already know this. I have a PHD in knowing.

Upvote 0
Obviously not, as you think it's bizarre and unrealistic that a semi-competent rifleman could hit a moving target at 300 yards.

The moving part has nothing to do with hitting a target at 300 yards. 300 yards isn't an impossible shot to make. In fact, I would say that any rifleman that is considered competent would be able to hit such a mark a high percentage of his shots.

Hitting a moving target however is in fact nearly impossible, but not because 300 yards is an abnormal distance. 300 yards increases bullet flight time, allows wind, humidity, temperature, gravity and etc to have a huge effect on a bullet's trajectory. Couple that with the fact that a human running perpendicular to the shooter is fairly thin. You have to calculate the flight time (Very little, but remember, you only have a 6 foot tall, 1 foot wide target, so inches matter.) and then calculate where the runner will be in when you fire, and etc. It's mind boggling in it's increased difficulty.

More to the topic. The Zoom function is actually fairly realistic in my opinion. In fact, I'd almost go as far as saying it's almost not far enough. For example, go out to your local (American) football field and send a friend to the opposite goal-line. He's not very small I'd imagine. Hold out your thumb and compare his size to it, I'd guess he's 3x as large?

Well, if that's the case, around 300 yards he'd be the size of your thumb. In RO1 a head at 100 yards was smaller than your front iron sight, at 200+ yards the entire body became smaller than your sight. Since I'd assume your iron sight is smaller than your thumb, you can judge the accuracy of RO1's views at distance.

In RO2 this is much better, I can accurately see a head at around 200 yards in good light, and can easily shoot with competency at 300 yards, which is a good distance. So, while I think perhaps it could be justified to zoom further, it DOES mirror reality.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree with my ranges and etc. :)

Reactions: Nezzer
Upvote 0
The moving part has nothing to do with hitting a target at 300 yards. 300 yards isn't an impossible shot to make. In fact, I would say that any rifleman that is considered competent would be able to hit such a mark a high percentage of his shots.

Hitting a moving target however is in fact nearly impossible, but not because 300 yards is an abnormal distance. 300 yards increases bullet flight time, allows wind, humidity, temperature, gravity and etc to have a huge effect on a bullet's trajectory. Couple that with the fact that a human running perpendicular to the shooter is fairly thin. You have to calculate the flight time (Very little, but remember, you only have a 6 foot tall, 1 foot wide target, so inches matter.) and then calculate where the runner will be in when you fire, and etc. It's mind boggling in it's increased difficulty.

Not particularly. As I said above, they realized that most engagements in WWII took place at or within 300 yards, ergo most of the killshots had to be within that range.

A skilled rifleman who knows how to properly lead a target to compensate for the motion of the target and the drop of the bullet (something you learn in basic training, though our Soviet comrades had a minimum of that. The Germans would be pretty competent at it by this point in the war, I'd imagine...) stood a good chance of hitting the target. Add in a few of his buddies all taking potshots at the guy in motion and you have a pretty good chance he's gonna get hit.

Upvote 0
In other news, a crazy guy was seen waving his gun around his room while every few seconds turning and and studying a video game before waving the gun around the room again looking at various objects.

:D

. . .

My ex-girlfriend's dad and I used to take period appropriate weapons (Garands and Springfields for WWII, Winchester repeaters and revolvers for Wild West, etc.) and play along with whatever movie we were watching. Whenever there was shooting going on, we would join in on the fun dry-firing the weapons at the TV...

Oh gods I'm such a redneck and it feels so good...

Upvote 0

More to the topic. The Zoom function is actually fairly realistic in my opinion. In fact, I'd almost go as far as saying it's almost not far enough. For example, go out to your local (American) football field and send a friend to the opposite goal-line. He's not very small I'd imagine. Hold out your thumb and compare his size to it, I'd guess he's 3x as large?

Well, if that's the case, around 300 yards he'd be the size of your thumb. In RO1 a head at 100 yards was smaller than your front iron sight, at 200+ yards the entire body became smaller than your sight. Since I'd assume your iron sight is smaller than your thumb, you can judge the accuracy of RO1's views at distance.

In RO2 this is much better, I can accurately see a head at around 200 yards in good light, and can easily shoot with competency at 300 yards, which is a good distance. So, while I think perhaps it could be justified to zoom further, it DOES mirror reality.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree with my ranges and etc. :)

Hiting a moving target at 300m isn't as hard as you think. By no means is it easy, but it is not "nearly imposible" I know a guy that was over in Iraq on a tour of duty with the Army, by no means is he the best shot in the world mind you but adiquit. He managed to shoot the nipple of an enemy who was running at 400m, most asuradly on acsident, but he did also land a round on target that gave his knee a new bend, the later being intentional; he wanted to speek with this man but the man didn't want to cooperate. At 300m wind, humidity, barametric pressure realy don't have much of an effect on accuracy; weapon and bulet cherichteristics have a much greater impact. Any compatant, millitary trained, shooter can make a shot inside of 300m with just the iron sights more often than not. I am sure that it was no differant back then.

As for you size measurments, you aren't that far off. A man sized target at 200m will apear about as wide as the front sight post on an M4. At 300m the same man will apear slightly narrower than the front sight post, perhaps only about 2/3s of the width of the front sight post, at that range IDing your target is your bigest problem.

With the zoom in game targets do in fact look about right in comparison to the suroundings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0