• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

General Firearm Discussion

The lure of cheap steel is just too strong heheh.

DUDE THAT IS SO COOL! It looks to be in good condition for a gun that old.

But anyway, I'm turning 18 soon, my Uncles range has a Romanian WASR 10 for sale, its a Romanian AK-47 (most of Romania was part of the Soviet Union), and it has a black polymer handguard and a fold able butt stock.

Its selling for $350 and comes with a few magazines, I want to get it as my first gun, do you guys have any experience with WASR 10's?

Upvote 0
That is a good price.

Just make sure it is a double stack and not a single stack (pretty rare).

Also check the sights for canting and the mag well. Make sure steel or Bulgarian polymer fit in properly. These are common issues with WASRs. Stay away from Promag AK mags, they suck.

My AK was problematic, though it wasn't a WASR. The magazine would get stuck in the well, and it was very difficult to remove. It also had plenty of failure to fire issues as well as double feeding issues. Not sure what it is called, but a "wire" thing got stuck in the safety internally. This meant I could not put it on safe. I used a large screw driver to pry it out.

WASRs can be hit or miss from what I am told.

I've heard good things about these:

http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-with-bayonet-and-pouch-50p10.htm

They are checked for any issues and come with a warranty.

Don't be like me and get a crappy AK as your first gun! At least the wood looked pretty.

But still, $350 is good for a WASR. They go for $500-550+ here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a good price.

Just make sure it is a double stack and not a single stack (pretty rare).

Also check the sights for canting and the mag well. Make sure steel or Bulgarian polymer fit in properly. These are common issues with WASRs. Stay away from Promag AK mags, they suck.

My AK was problematic, though it wasn't a WASR. The magazine would get stuck in the well, and it was very difficult to remove. It also had plenty of failure to fire issues as well as double feeding issues. Not sure what it is called, but a "wire" thing got stuck in the safety internally. This meant I could not put it on safe. I used a large screw driver to pry it out.

WASRs can be hit or miss from what I am told.

I've heard good things about these:

[url]http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Century-Certified-AK47-with-bayonet-and-pouch-50p10.htm[/URL]

They are checked for any issues and come with a warranty.

Don't be like me and get a crappy AK as your first gun! At least the wood looked pretty.

But still, $350 is good for a WASR. They go for $500-550+ here.

Do you have any idea.... How AWESOME that is!

I'll check that WASR out, if it feels wrong I'll probably order one.

Upvote 0
DUDE THAT IS SO COOL! It looks to be in good condition for a gun that old.

But anyway, I'm turning 18 soon, my Uncles range has a Romanian WASR 10 for sale, its a Romanian AK-47 (most of Romania was part of the Soviet Union), and it has a black polymer handguard and a fold able butt stock.

Its selling for $350 and comes with a few magazines, I want to get it as my first gun, do you guys have any experience with WASR 10's?
My brother-in-law got a WASR 10 at a gun show. Right out of the box there was a serious problem. The magazine would not fully seat and when you chambered a round it would hit the top of the chamber so hard that there would be metal shavings inside the chamber. The bolt would also not fully close with a magazine inserted either (both polymer and metal mags). He returned it and got a Yugo M-70 instead, no problems with that one so far.

After a little research it appears that a lot of single stack versions of WASR 10's were converted to double stack, and sold as "new". Unfortunately, the parts used for the conversion are not of the best fit or quality. Therefore, I recommend that you do a little research on WASR 10 problems so you are able to tell the difference between the factory new double stacks and the "new" conversions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My brother-in-law got a WASR 10 at a gun show. Right out of the box there was a serious problem. The magazine would not fully seat and when you chambered a round it would hit the top of the chamber so hard that there would be metal shavings inside the chamber. The bolt would also not fully close with a magazine inserted either (both polymer and metal mags). He returned it and got a Yugo M-70 instead, no problems with that one so far.

After a little research it appears that a lot of single stack versions of WASR 10's were converted to double stack, and sold as "new". Unfortunately, the parts used for the conversion are not of the best fit or quality. Therefore, I recommend that you do a little research on WASR 10 problems so you are able to tell the difference between the factory new double stacks and the "new" conversions.

That's why I'm going to check it out before I buy it. If it was messed up I would consider another AK or a better WASR 10, I do know alot of people with good WASR 10's though.

Upvote 0
It seems like the newer WASRs are better.

If I didn't live in CA, I would look into getting a Chinese AK. They seem to be the best bang for your buck AK.

A local shop wanted $1100 for a Norinco underfolder in 5.56.

I almost laughed when I handed it back to them. They do nothing my WASR can't for 1/4 the price.

They stopped importing them a while ago hence why they're so expensive, they're not necessarily "better" than the WASR 10's, the WASR's just have that mag well problem but they're only cheaper because they're more numerous.

Upvote 0
Hey, here's a question: I'm working on my liscense but does anyone know if it's possible to buy guns online in the UK? I know that registered dealers can make orders and deliveries for others, but I look at american sites and it looks as if you can just buy them online right off the bat. :confused:

They have to be shipped to an FFL.

That is unless it is a C&R gun and you have a C&R license.

Can't help you with UK laws though.

Upvote 0
Hey, here's a question: I'm working on my liscense but does anyone know if it's possible to buy guns online in the UK? I know that registered dealers can make orders and deliveries for others, but I look at american sites and it looks as if you can just buy them online right off the bat. :confused:

When you buy guns online it ships to FFL dealer, but theres not many guns you can get in the UK, honestly just move to the USA.

Upvote 0

Apparently the AR 15 lower is considered a weapon, so you can get the uppers mailed to you.

America is a truly gunderful place :)

Upvote 0
Just got back from the local gun show. No pics allowed or I would have taken some.

Aside from the vast array of pistols, and modern assualt rifle copies, there wasn't a whole lot there. At least nothing that interested me.

I did see and lay hands on my first M1D Sniper Garand. It looked to have the original flash suppressor, but the scope mount definitely was not original. The scope however was authentic for the era. Aside from the newly parkerized scope mount it was pretty gun. Complete with original leather cheek pad. As the scopes on these weapons are side mounted, my guess is the original was broken. I wasn't interested, so I didn't bother trying to dicker with the seller, but the price tag had $2,400. Too steep.

There were two other M1-Garands there. One was junk, the other appeared to be a 'one owner' weapon. Metal was in good shape. It was well cared for. The wood matched but was a little rough. Could the seller have documented that it indeed was all original, he could have asked his own price! He said he bought it from an older gentleman 15 years ago and that is all he knew about it. (rriiiiggghhhtt). He was asking $850. Not a bad price, especially if he'd known a little more about it, but one can probably get a better looking rifle of the same grade for the same price through CMP.

Saw a couple of SKS's. And a beautifal Carl Gustaf rifle. The seller was an older gentleman. It was tagged as a 1900 Navy. It may have been a Navy issue, but I don't think its a model 1900 or made in 1900. I was so enamored by the beauty of this rifle, I looked them up on the interenet just now. It appeared to be an m/1896. The rear sight was really unique. He only wanted $475 for it ($575 and he'd throw in a bayonet.....that didn't look like it fit...lol). Really pretty weapon. I may buy it just because it is so pretty.

Wish I could have taken pics.... :(

Upvote 0
My first firearm was Savage Mk.II, a fun little plinker, and the my dad and I got a Ruger 10/22 a few years ago. Then I saw a refurbished Ruger Mk.II at our gun shop, and it was priced a $200, we talked to the guy and although I can't remember why, but he said it came in really rusted, but you couldn't tell now and was works perfectly.

Then, I started getting into larger caliber (plus an interest in WWI/II era firearms), late 2009 we got a 1943 Mosin Nagant 91/30 because it was a cheap shooter and last year we got a 1953 Polish TT33 variant.

At the moment, I'm saving up for either a Gewehr 98 Variant or a Czechoslovak Vz. 58...

Upvote 0