• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

World War 2 Online vets?

I started playing in 2004 and quit couple a years ago because AOs, HC system, amount of equipment and spawn delays really broke the game for European players. Lack of new content and bug fixes on old content (109 flight model anyone) was also a deciding factor. Well, that wasn't surprising since in the later years they haven't had any real coders in the company, just bunch of management and PR personel and Australian drunk who spends his time insulting players on forums.

I had around 1600 hours played or almost 1 hour per day during those 5 years.

Upvote 0
I started playing in 2004 and quit couple a years ago because AOs, HC system, amount of equipment and spawn delays really broke the game for European players. Lack of new content and bug fixes on old content (109 flight model anyone) was also a deciding factor. Well, that wasn't surprising since in the later years they haven't had any real coders in the company, just bunch of management and PR personel and Australian drunk who spends his time insulting players on forums.

lol, at the drunk Australian reference. Yes he can come off heavy handed, but only after years of listening to wikiexperts tell him he doesn't know his job. The guy is a simflight expert and knows more about ww2 aircraft then the entire hanger forum knows put together.

Upvote 0
lol, at the drunk Australian reference. Yes he can come off heavy handed, but only after years of listening to wikiexperts tell him he doesn't know his job. The guy is a simflight expert and knows more about ww2 aircraft then the entire hanger forum knows put together.
Well, he banned some members who evidently knew more (Penttiku comes to mind, definitely not a wikiexpert).

Upvote 0
Wesreidau here. Good times driving a Panzer 38 and flying Stukas. In fact, I'd say flying a Stuka was my favorite part of that game, since you were actually providing air support to an actual ground battle, not just plinking targets in a canned mission.

I also knew how to properly execute a dive-bombing attack, sirens and all. I like to think I was terrifying.

Unfortunately the gameworld itself is of such low resolution I could never really enjoy infantry fighting. They need to get microterrain, not 128x128 meter pool tables, for land combat to really be fun.

Upvote 0
I loved how the game had after action reports. You could actually go read some stories of great games people had (if they decided to do an AAR).

I've had some great times hunting tanks with my satchel charges. I was also good at hunting down AA traps (5 shots to the back of the head...) and being a machine gunner. Was always fun setting up a MG just in the right spot and completely hold down an area of a town.

Or moving a small flak gun inside a town and using it like a machine gun! That was fun! Could knock out any light armored scout vehicles and cause mayhem on enemy infantry.

I remember one time the brits had about 8 AA guns defending a town against an initial wave of Germans. It was one of those towns that had a long road with a house every 50-100 yards along the road. Well the AA was POUNDING the road.

We had about 50-60 germans all bunching up behind each building, all avoiding the road. People stack up on the walls. You would then see a couple germans pop smoke and over chat tell everyone to run. A mad dash of a few dozen german soldiers ensued...all running to the safety of the next building up the road while trying to avoid flak bursts. Once in cover the process started all over again. It was amazing!

Upvote 0
I played WW2ol for a little over a year. Played allies, since axis was always overpopulated.

Played infantry a little bit, but mostly flying planes, all kinds... Large bombers, interceptors, fighters, well, every allied plane in the game :) There was nothing more fun that strafing armored cars or infantry.

I quit the game when it seemed like all the players had quit the game.

If there ever comes a WWIIOL sequel, it's a must-buy...

EDIT: Actually, the funniest thing were the short campaigns after big ones... Torpedoing enemy destroyers with a Belnheim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LW Pilot Kami232 reporting for duty. JG 51 representing the ground war in RO2!!

S!

Edit: I'm Axis locked. I love my speedy 109s too much. Plus it's hilarious when my Penguin Brothers go Allied for a campaign and we shoot them down like it's nobody's business. Any of you flyboys around the RO2 scene? I don't know too many of the WWIIOL Ground Pounders... sorry for partying. hehe. S!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was in the 2.FJ when I played WW2OL. We fought almost exclusively in the Zealand Islands. No real armour support, very little air cover... lots of sneaking through the hedges and sniping. I think I cancelled my account shortly after they added rifle grenades. My computer had very little RAM at the time and I didn't think the monthly fees were worth it.

There were good times though. One time we loaded up two ships with about 80+ men and tried to penetrate deep down a river, but some Spitfires showed up and things turned sour. All those poor Landser swimming back to shore... :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Played for a few years, been off it for over a year now. Player count was just too low and the map too big. Some times there were big fights, most of the time it was pretty mediocre. I especially liked to tank but with the miniscule player numbers it was hard to avoid getting sapped because there was no one to guard unless you placed yourself in the MSP swarm, which is a good way to catch an AT round.

If I ever do come back, it will likely be with the fabled TEII and redesign of towns which are just too similar and not even remotely similar to how actual 1940's towns were setup.

Upvote 0