• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How to not get hit?

Vaecrius

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Burnaby, BC
members.shaw.ca
All this time I've played with the assumption that attacks work like they (more or less) work in Doom - once a zed's attack animation has reached the point where it makes its attack, it shoots out a hitscan that with rare random exceptions has no chance of missing and at that instant you're either out of its range or getting hit. But every so often I hear stuff about people "dodging" say the scrake's chainsaw or whatnot, and a few times I have noticed that a scrake seems to be sawing right between two players in melee for several seconds without anyone getting hurt. Can someone who knows what's going on explain to me how this all works?

I don't know for sure, so I can only assume: ;)

I think there is no "real" dodging mechanic in the game - a mechanic like that would be just a % of being hit or not being hit when in damage range, say like in a rpg.

Or actively via a "dodge" movement which can be triggered by key, say like in common 3rd person action games.

When people say "dodging" I can only imagine they mean "moving out of the damage range" like stepping backwards.

For the scrake example, yes, there is a glitch I think that when the scrake is charging and you stop it e.g. with the stunlock, the sounds plays along as if the scrake is butchering you. Not sure about the animation, though.

Upvote 0
On a few occasions recently, solo and multiplayer, I've been able to crouch while the scrake was already in the middle of his attack animation, and watch his saw move right over my head. With and without a high ping. I've also seen players with 400+ ping or those who disconnected for a few seconds simply backpedal and do nothing else, manage to keep fleshpounds from doing anything but walking into them.

Try using a cheat mutator on solo that lets you enable ZED-Time at a keypress or something, and duck right before a "high" attack hits you (like the scrake swing).

Gorefasts are particularly annoying with the false stun animation though. You can tell they're about to swing if they simply stand in an idle pose. When they recoil back it seems that they can't hurt you.

Upvote 0