• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery ideas

Nimsky

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Elitist Prick Nude Beach
Artillery was great in RO:O, it looked and sounded menacing and dangerous, but it can always be better! :) So here are my artillery ideas:

• The impacts should produce a lot of kicked up dirt, smoke, sparks and a cloud of sand (much more than what we've seen so far in the gameplay vids).
  • Camera shake while close to the explosion (RO:O did this well, but it could be enhanced a little).
  • Sound effect of dirt falling on the player's helmet (same thing goes for raindrops).
  • Fragmentation. Just because you're out of the explosion's range doesn't mean you're safe. The explosions should model high-velocity fragmentation that can wound or kill the player, depending on where the fragment hits him.
  • Soldiers becoming dirty after sitting through an artillery barrage. Kinda like in the first Ghost Recon where if you wade through a stream of water, your character's pants become wet. Nice detail, but not very important.
  • Sound of explosion temporarily deafening the player; not one of those annoying 'ringing ears' sounds but more akin to BFBC2 where all sounds get muffled for a while after a sound of 'overpressure'. Example here @ 0:19:

Last edited:
I like those ideas, especially the fragmentation part.

I really would like there to be shrapnels in everything explosive that can give away shrapnels... because you can actualy survive standing close to a grenade because the shrapnels misses you (atleast I think so :eek:). And contrary, you can die by standing far away from an explosion. And I guess you can be lucky to survive relatively near an artillery strike too?

So, yes to shrapnels! :D

Upvote 0
A few comments on this...

I dont understand why Airpower or Calling in Arty like Guns or Howitzers are even remotely in a skirmish game like RO2.
If anything, keep the idea of random Arty on some maps like in RO...that I did like.
- Airpower and Arty have generally taken place before a battle begins ( not during ) and probably should be limited to Mortars.
- If there is going to be Arty it should take a few minutes to arrive after calling it in, and not just one minute.
- The blast effect should last alittle longer ( debris & smoke lingering around ).
- Heavy Buildings do not get blown-up or damaged quickly, as it would take several Arty barrages to do so ( several minutes or hours ). This is also a reason why heavy buildings should start the game either in good order or already damaged ( not during game ). However, small rural buildings can be damaged after several rounds of Arty in just a few minutes.

Joe

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I dont understand why Airpower or Arty like Guns or Howitzers are even remotely in a skirmish game like RO2.
- Airpower and Indirect Gun/Howitzer Arty have already taken place before a battle
begins ( not during ) and probably should be limited to Mortars.
- Arty should take a few minutes to arrive after calling it in, and not just one minute.
- The blast effect should last alittle longer ( debris lingering around ).
- Heavy Buildings do not get blown-up or damaged quickly, as it would take several Arty barrages to do so ( several minutes or hours ). This is also a reason why heavy buildings should start the game either in good order or already damaged ( not during game ). However, small rural buildings can be damaged after several rounds of Arty in just a few minutes.

Joe

In RO1 it was not available all the time on every map, and most of the time it was limited.

Upvote 0
Another thing to add...

I think Arty in RO is already leathal enough against soft targets ( burst & fragmentation already factored in the blast radius ), but way potent against Armor.
Just about every tank in an Arty zone is KOed after the first barrage or two.

In RL, Arty took several minutes to an hour to have a chance to destroy Armor, if it did at all.
ex; There were reports of German Armor under an Arty Barrage for several minutes. The crews would just wait in the tank until it was over, then move again.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think tanks should hear the HE shells explode / ping of the tank chasis, it should maybe disorientate the crew thus stopping the tank for a moment. No serious damage, maybe possible to destroy the gun?

Also I like the way dirt debris is created from Arty in Red Ochestra ostfront, I see no reason to change it, maybe alittle more however.

Sturm

Upvote 0

I dont understand why Airpower or Arty like Guns or Howitzers are even remotely in a skirmish game like RO2.
- Airpower and Indirect Gun/Howitzer Arty have already taken place before a battle
begins ( not during ) and probably should be limited to Mortars.
- Arty should take a few minutes to arrive after calling it in, and not just one minute.
- The blast effect should last alittle longer ( debris lingering around ).

Joe
Unless TW's goal is to make a real time armed conflict simulater and not a game for the masses, then there are some concessions that have to be made. I'm not argueing for or against the ideas presented. I'm just suggesting that not everything in a game based in reality has to be done as is in real life. Events that happen in the game don't necessarily have to correspond in a 1:1 ratio to their real life counterparts . Battles and skirmishes over territory, for example, generally last for more than 5-20 minutes. So some battle events that occured often have to be compressed to be brought into the game. RO:HOS is compressing events that happened over days/weeks down to a few minutes (or perhaps hours in campaign mode).

Upvote 0
I think Arty in RO is already way potent against Armor.

In RL, Arty took several minutes to an hour to have a chance to destroy Armor, if it did at all.
ex; There were reports of German Armor under an Arty Barrage for several minutes.

You are wrong. Of course can real arty destoy a tank - it just depends on the caliber!
A small mortar shell wont destroy a tank, but real arty like 88 or soviet guns of same size could rip a tank to pieces.

Dont forget: arty always strikes from ABOVE - and the tank has the thinnest amour at the top!

Upvote 0