• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What makes you stop playing RO?

i never remember dreaming of games (surprising considering how much time i spend on them) so i had the unusual occurrence of waking up having been playing RO1 ( i was actually running around in the maps)
Made me think of playing again.
If i thought i could recapture anything like the magic of the pre 50 player wild bunch days of '06 on maps like Lazur and wateveroko i would be back there in a shot.

Upvote 0
I don't like the change in overall gameplay compared to the RO mod and Roost.

Long range fighting seems similar to ww1 trench warfare, or any modern game where classes aren't limited and half the team picks a sniper scope. Everybody plays as if they are a sniper rather than go for objectives, perhaps it is realistic but its too campy for my taste :p.

Where as short range doesn't require any tactical awareness you can just fully sprint into a building, and instantly fire your gun from the ironsights on sight of an enemy. In roost you had to stop sprinting before entering a building and had to go into ironsight pretty much before going in (if you wanted to fire from ironsight instead of the hip).

Next to that I don't like the overall control of my character.

Controlling a character in Roost while limited was really simple and similar to any other game. It got its limitations but those limitations were easier to grasp than in HOS.

While somewhat buggy when you need to go prone you could hit the button and go prone, in HOS you often get a message that you cannot prone there. If you wanted to run away you could just run away, in HOS you could get stuck to the cover system if you're using it. Now beside regular buttons you have all sorts of features added to the game, but you cannot even customize the controls to your liking.

You do not want to change your weapon with the scroll wheel but you do want to change the range with the scroll wheel too bad you cannot separate them. You want to pick up a weapon with a key, too bad you just went into cover mode against the wall. I have no issues with having to learn even 30 keys by hearth, but I hate it when I personally want to do a certain action and the game does something opposite. If I hit sprint key I want to run away I don't want to darn zoom in with a nade 3 meters next to me. I personally don't like toggles yet there is no real way to have iron sight on hold.

And finally there is free aim. As I've been a pc gamer for a long while my mouse responsiveness is important for me. If I move my mouse 10 centimeters to the right I want to move a certain angle to the right. If a game takes away my ability to use my real life experience in controlling my own hands and requires me to learn everything again (or if a game imposes mouse acceleration or a big delay) then that game is lost for me.

Free aim in first person view, makes me feel disconnected in the control of my characters hands. Using your hands in real life is the most easy thing to do as you've trained your entire life time, if you see a mug on your table, and you close your eyes you are able to grab that mug without looking.

In this game you are required to continuously look where you are actually pointing. While normally you can both sense your position, as are able to use a life's worth of experience in just going somewhere. Having to learn something as basic as moving your hands in a game is frustrating for me. With smg's its a non issue as you can just correct, but with rifles it simply becomes annoying.

So in short summary for me the worst things that happened to HOS were, the implementation of zoom. And next to zoom free aim in iron sight was a horrible thing to happen for me, as it removed the ability to use important sensors and experience in controlling your arms for controlling your character.

I could understand free aim for hip shooting so people couldn't tag a dot in the centre of the screen, but when firing from the iron sight there is no need for free aim it just makes controlling your character more difficult than it should be (for all I care add a massive sway or other things to make it more difficult, but making the connection between your hand's input and the screens output variable is game breaking for me).

Last edited:
Reactions: REZ and Ricky(SCO)
Upvote 0
I played RO1 for a long, long time, and I love the game. With the arrival of RO2 of course the player base is dispersed, and there are few RO1 players left. I've noticed the Russian servers can be fairly busy in the afternoon (US time), and they actually have some nice custom maps available. The problem for me is the ping is HIGH, most of the players seem to be speaking Russian (go figure!), and there seems to be a lesser degree of team play and just all arround fun factor that we had on the TWB servers (at their height of activity). Besides, at times some of the tactics and gameplay seem (rarely) a bit suspicious. So, sadly, the TWB servers are usually empty, and our RO1 choices are 24/7 Danzig :){) or the far away Russian servers. As I have a limited amount of time to play, if the Russian servers are slow/empty, I go play RO2. Now, as an old (literally, I'm 60 yrs old) RO1 player, I still prefer the slower, less complicated RO1 gamestyle, although RO2 is slowly evolving in a positive way (IMHO), and with the upcoming mods/maps it is the future, like it or not. I also like my controls uncomplicated and I'm sure I don't use/need all the RO2 "features", probably never will. Sorry to ramble on, but the fact is RO1 has run it's course, but it's nice to go "retro" and play it sometimes. A big thanks to all you guys who helped me find hours of fun in RO1, especially on the TWB servers. GGS, TWB*SlowBull

Upvote 0
Not that I won't go back and play it again sometime, but

I haven't played ROOST in awhile because of a couple of things. It is just older and I had played it for over 5 1/2 years as my main shooter. Also with the remaining servers out there, there are very few of the custom maps (out of all the great custom maps) in the rotation and the odds of me playing when they are on are slim indeed; I am burned out playing mostly the stock maps after so long.

Sorta like hearing Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd on the radio... I like them but I have heard them so much over the years that when they come on I have to instantly change the station or skip over them in my iPod :D

Upvote 0
Sorta like hearing Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd on the radio... I like them but I have heard them so much over the years that when they come on I have to instantly change the station or skip over them in my iPod :D

I've been listening to Beethoven...Since 1799...heh
I guess it's just nature to like older things.
I have 80+ minutes of RO2 now, but I can't go beyond it anymore after trying.
I think I may be just done with gaming for the better part with the death of RO1 :(

Upvote 0
Work and girlfriend (time management) makes me stop playing ro and ro2 in general sadly.

Answer to the thread is RO2 makes me stop playing RO1... I find RO2 great.
There are quite a few things I find better in RO1 such as getting in or out of tanks, attaching bayonets and simple things like that. But in the end, I like RO2 move for the new features.

I still play RO1 as my laptop or work computer doesn't run RO2.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I don't like the change in overall gameplay compared to the RO mod and Roost. . . . .

I agree with everything in that post Zet. After seeing the way RO2 is now, I would settle for Red Orchestra 1 with better graphics (and the bugs fixed).

On top of all that was previously said -- RO2 really does not seem to possess any end-game challenge in the same way RO1 did. whether that was intentional design or not, it is what made me stick around for so long. games get stale whenever you can no longer challenge yourself. Ro1 had the free-aim hipshooting masters that altered the meta-game of RO1, same thing goes for long-ranged precision Anti-Tankers :D . After putting in over 100 hours between Beta and RO2 release there did not seem to be any of that in the new game, at least not until drastic changes to the game and very different maps are introduced. It felt very rinse and repeat with no lasting power, for me at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Pixel hunting killed ROOst for me. Getting popped by a gun barrel sticking through a wall and a bullet flying out the top of someone's head is just not fun, at all. I'm OK with getting killed by the better player, I'm not OK with getting killed by the player who knows at just what angle they can make their bullet register as 'over the wall' while they're still physically behind the wall. I also want to play my games at a good resolution and not have to squint to find a target past 80 meters.

Shame because I never really played Darkest Hour as much as I wanted to because of that. Love me an M1 in game.

ROOst is a legend and I played it since I saw it in an article about Make Something Unreal. It's just very badly showing its age. Kinda like Rainbow Six in that regard.

If there was a magical 'content port' button to make all the maps and vehicles in ROOst ready for RO2, I'd go ahead and uninstall ROOst, MN, and DH. The only reason it stays installed is for when I want a change of scenery from RO2.

Upvote 0
I never had an issue with pixel hunting in RO.
My vision became super sensitive to slight changes on the horizon after playing RO.
For some reason, I feel like a blind man in RO2 because I don't even see where someone's shooting at me which is yet another reason that makes me not want to play the game.

I logged on yesterday and that same feeling of emptiness was there when I was playing RO2. I haven't tried Ogeldow yet...I might maybe...
Damn Danzig.

Upvote 0
I never had an issue with pixel hunting in RO.
My vision became super sensitive to slight changes on the horizon after playing RO.
For some reason, I feel like a blind man in RO2 because I don't even see where someone's shooting at me which is yet another reason that makes me not want to play the game...

I never ever had a problem with pixel hunting in RO either.

Also, I don't have a problem with shooting or being shot by someone I can't see. A lot of the times I do, but so what if I don't? Maybe they aren't in my LOS or they are just better at not moving and making their presence known. I try to do the same thing on occasions. I personally never understood the big deal of two players spotting each other (near or far) and having a firefight until one wins.

:D

Upvote 0
I never ever had a problem with pixel hunting in RO either.

Also, I don't have a problem with shooting or being shot by someone I can't see. A lot of the times I do, but so what if I don't? Maybe they aren't in my LOS or they are just better at not moving and making their presence known. I try to do the same thing on occasions. I personally never understood the big deal of two players spotting each other (near or far) and having a firefight until one wins.

:D

It just come down to a point where you end up spending 10 minutes trying to spot the guy who killed you or to avoid getting killed.
Since I use bolt, I try not to just charge right into a capzone to get gunned down by autos.
For me, the game boils down to run and cap or get shot. Not so much firefight since aiming is pretty easy.
RO was some what similar, but had more ways to get around it since despite the pixel hunting, you can spot a distant shooter if you look hard enough. If you can't spot him, then you can avoid the shooter or outmaneuver him since aiming isn't that easy.
I just get a feeling in RO2, you're funneled into either sharpshooting or rushing into bullets. I just get a feeling that something's missing

Upvote 0
It is inevitable that RO2 will take over RO1 completely.
I've seen many games that were great came back with less than mediocre sequels.
One was console so there was no hope of fixing. The other was PC, so I lingered around until I came to a realization that the game will never be the game I liked.
So I am in the same situation with RO2. Having the experience I had, I am not expecting RO2 to be like RO1. I do provide feedback in the RO2 forums, but I don't expect them to be implemented to the same degree. That's why I can't really get into the game until I see what I wanted in full stride. I've already prepared myself to let RO2 go. That's why I am trying to maximize my enjoyment with RO1 as much as I could before it completely dies. I just want to play more than just Danzig. I want to play all the maps and such that's out there, but that hope is fading fast.

Upvote 0