• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How am i supposed to use Sharp?

Maddoxx

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Earth
Like the title says.

Even when playing solo, i find it bothersome to score kills because i need headshots all time.

I feel like freezing all zeds on screen, so i can pop their heads one by one.

I tried on Hard solo and i was suprised how many bodyshots i needed to kill a simple gorefast if missed a headshot. It was like putting down Hulk or something.

To me it seems that Sharp is not a strong perk if alone and he is best using the Xbow-weapon in team.

I dont know what else to do with Sharp and what else weapon to use besides Xbow? Him getting headshots rapidly on multiple incoming zeds seems a bit too hard, unless partial bodyshots also are accounted for!?

Also, why dont i see anyone using the M14 in KF? If i see a Sharp, they usually have Xbow.

Sharpshooter in Multiplayer is usually tasked with taking out the big zeds(Fleshpounds, scrakes, husks etc) so the Xbow is the natural choice for big spike damage. LAR can be useful on scrakes but takes a few shots to take them out. M14 is not used as much due to its lower damage and for some, awkward sights. Basically, you want to take out the heavy zombies fast and xbow does it best.

For single player, Not much else to recommend besides practice hitting heads. Your 9mm will level you up fairly quickly and is fairly effective, as you level up, it will be able to decap in one hit, sometimes kill outright, trash zeds.. If you can line up many zombies at once, you can use xbow to take them all out(Infinite penetration).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You absolutely have to do headshots with the sharpshooter if you want to do good damage. Heck, everybody should be doing headshots.

Commandos absolutely should be doing headshots.
Medics doing headshots.
Supports doing headshots with shotguns.
Berserkers gotta do headshots with their melee and ranged sidearms.
Firebugs should do headshots with mac10 and husk cannon.
Even demos are rewarded with double damage if they get a headshot with explosives.

You're finding it bothersome because it's difficult for you right now. Just keep playing and you'll eventually get terrific aim.

And you don't see m14 on lower difficulties because crossbow's just ridiculously powerful on hard and lower. As you go to suicidal, it's not as powerful in comparison to an m14, and you might see more of them there. M14's more of a veteran's weapon too. You absolutely need to be good at headshotting if you want to use it as the body damage is terrible.

Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
Sharpshooter is a perk that takes some practice and getting used to. It's really all about learning the feel of the weapons and the head shot hit zone. Here's my strategy for playing sharpshooter:

Solo:
- 9mm, Handcannon, or .44 magnum as my primary weapon. These weapons don't weigh much and they are fairly reliable at dealing headshots.
- Xbow secondary. This is for the big stuff like scrakes, fleshpounds, and the patriarch.

Multiplayer:
- LAR. This weapons fast rate of fire and high damage output makes it ideal for covering teammates.
- Xbow. Once again, good for taking out the big things. However, expect team mates to mess up your shots by raging the scrakes and fleshpounds.

Reactions: Dub
Upvote 0
Yeah, sharpies are for the top-priority targets. Such as bloats, sirens, scrakes, husks, and fleshpounds that are in the crowds. Pretty much everything else will take care of the rest. Just stay within a group that works well together and you shouldn't have to worry. Pack a backup weapon aside from the crossbow, though. You may or may not need it.

Upvote 0
I dont know which perk is harder to master: Berserk or Sharp?

My first thought was Berserk, but headshotting multiple fast approaching moving heads in and from different directions and with different elevations......uhhhhhh.

Besides, since a TWI-dude stated in a post that KF is semi-realistic, then why have the M14

Upvote 0
It depends, I think. It's counterintuitive to use swords on zombies with blades or chainsaws for arms. However, Berserker is one hell of a perk. IT does take a lot of practice, though, since you're getting into of zed attack range when you're swigning your weapons. Knowing when to run and when to fight, strafing, and 360-awareness are essential to mastering the perk,

Sharpshooter takes a lot of practice as well. You have to learn and practice with his guns a lot. I'm a pretty decent shot with the 9mm and the handcannon, but I'm still marginal with the .44, since it's a new weapon. Usually, the thing I tell to the newbie sharpshooters it to stay calm and take your time. The Clots and Bloats and whatever are as slow as sin, so you don't have to blaze away when you miss your first shot.

Upvote 0
Forget every weapon but the LAR, master that weapon as a sharpie and it's godly. (ok, before I get flamed yes don't forget the xbow or m14, but the xbow has a whoping scope and m14 is wick)

Sharpie is easy to level.

Always ALWAYS go for the headshot. Remain calm and don't spam. That's the best advice for any sharpie.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Oh and another thing about leveling: they have to be headshot kills. For example, when you're at a lower level, your 9mm will just decap a Clot without killing him instantly. He'll wander around until he bleeds out. However, if you plant one in his chest, then tap him in the head, he'll die from the headshot.

At higher levels you'll do insta-kills with 9mm headshot, but still keep that in mind.

Upvote 0
I tried all of SS-weapons on Hard.

Sorry to say, but the beatiful and powerful looking M14.....is useless....unless zeds are lined up nice and still on a shootingrange!!!

I dont understand the M14. It feels kind of...meaningless!?

Also, i do understand the concept of balance in a game...but the M14 is somehow very awkward and feels somehow underpowered and useless due to the fact that it is unpractical to kill with unless being close up.

It fits more as a weapon for the berserker, being close up doing headshots.

There is a reason i dont see Sharps use M14 and i understand why now. It is impractical.

And the rare occassions i have seen the M14 in use, it is at close-up, just like i thought. Noone seems to use it for sharpshooting far away.

M14 puzzles me. Should it even be part of the arsenal?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh and another thing about leveling: they have to be headshot kills. For example, when you're at a lower level, your 9mm will just decap a Clot without killing him instantly. He'll wander around until he bleeds out. However, if you plant one in his chest, then tap him in the head, he'll die from the headshot.

At higher levels you'll do insta-kills with 9mm headshot, but still keep that in mind.

That's not actually true anymore. It use to be true when the game came out, but they changed it so all decaps count quite a while ago.

Upvote 0
Hmm, maybe you just haven't played with enough people yet. I actually like the M14, and I do take medium to long range shots with it. It just takes some getting used to.

Oh, also, there's a laser on the thing. Hit alt-fire to toggle it.

I almost always iron-sight anyway, but hey, a laser is a laser.

That's not actually true anymore. It use to be true when the game came out, but they changed it so all decaps count quite a while ago.
Hmm, is that right? I'll hop on a solo HoE game real quick and see if this kills count. I could've sworn that they don't.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Deagle's right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm, maybe you just haven't played with enough people yet. I actually like the M14, and I do take medium to long range shots with it. It just takes some getting used to.

Oh, also, there's a laser on the thing. Hit alt-fire to toggle it.

I almost always iron-sight anyway, but hey, a laser is a laser.

Hmm, is that right? I'll hop on a solo HoE game real quick and see if this kills count. I could've sworn that they don't.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Deagle's right.

Medium to long range shots: you mean with single zeds and you have time to aim like on a shooting range? How about multiple zeds close range using the M14? Missing a headshot and trying bodyshots is almost futile.

Upvote 0
Medium to long range shots: you mean with single zeds and you have time to aim like on a shooting range? How about multiple zeds close range using the M14? Missing a headshot and trying bodyshots is almost futile.
Kinda-sorta. Long range means I can pick off Husks and Sirens before they becomes a threat to the team. They can be part of a crowd or by themselves.

Close range I don't have much problems either, and I tend to use irons and not the laser.

Upvote 0
Only laser using the M14?

skills :p

only gun i use iron sight in is X-bow(and law but it has to be shot from iron sight) long range rest is just fire from hip. master unscoped scout killer in cs and css so i know were my aiming retical should be on screen instinctivly, besides the game shoots 100% accuratly from hip anyway, it's not like RO were it does not so rifle fire from hip is more luck based then skill.

Last edited:
Upvote 0