• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Faster Bolt Actions

Reactions: THunter and Nylle
Mosin Nagants have a problem known as "sticky bolt". They often almost jam to a point where you have to kick the bolt to get it to come back. I don't know what causes this but shooting a Mosin Nagant after being in the field for god knows how many months will never be easy.

2 reasons:

Lacquer coated steel cased ammo and refurbishment. Sticky bolt was never a problem in WW2 with the Russians or Germans.

Not all Nagant bolts are exactly alike. When they got refurbished post war the parts were simply thrown into huge bins/piles. They then assembled complete rifles using random parts from those bins. The result of this is tolerances out of wack for reciever to bolt mating. Fire a few shots, the metal expands from the heat, combined with ****ty laquer coated ammo = sticky bolt. Try different bolts and brass cased ammo and the problem goes away.

The reason why the guys bolt is "sticking" in the video is hes too concerned about looking cool and shooting fast like an idiot to properly feed and eject the rounds. If I saw that guy shooting like that at my local range id report his dumbass to the rangemaster. I was at a range one time next to a guy that decided he would show off infront of his friends by bump firing his Garand. Well his friend tried it, nearly lost control of the rifle and nearly shot a hole through the roof at at one point the muzzle was pointed in my direction. Luckily the rangemaster saw it and threw those guys out at gunpoint. Being stupid with live ammo around other people isnt cool.

If you wana shoot that fast buy a damn self loader or do everybody else a favor and shoot yourself in the process looking like a tool.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm willing to bet he didn't have any sort of accuracy or grouping firing like that.

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield said:
The fast-operating Lee bolt-action and large magazine capacity enabled a well-trained rifleman to perform the "Mad minute" firing 20 to 30 aimed rounds in 60 seconds, making the Lee-Enfield the fastest military bolt-action rifle of the day. The current world record for aimed bolt-action fire was set in 1914 by a musketry instructor in the British Army—Sergeant Instructor Snoxall—who placed 38 rounds into a 12-inch-wide (300 mm) target at 300 yards (270 m) in one minute.[9] Some straight-pull bolt-action rifles were thought faster, but lacked the simplicity, reliability, and generous magazine capacity of the Lee-Enfield. First World War accounts tell of British troops repelling German attackers who subsequently reported that they had encountered machine guns, when in fact it was simply a group of trained riflemen armed with SMLE Mk III rifles.

From which I'd say that :
1) Potential Accuracy with a rifle worked at speed can be good enough for RO2 purposes (I can't even see people at 270m most maps).
2) the SMLE is probably faster bolting than many other bolt action rifles, and that you can't necessarily generalise from the SMLE to the Mosin Nagant or the Kar98
3) 38 rounds from a bolt action in 60 seconds includes loading clips of 5 after the first 10 - that's just stunning levels of profficiency!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am surprised that no one has corrected the OP yet on his choice of gun.

I know of no quicker rotating bolt action rifle in existance, some straight pull's might give it a run for its money.

The reason why the enfield is THAT fast is due to its design, *cough* made by a Canadian *cough*, one of these design features is that the bolt handle sits directly above the trigger. The user does not have to let go of the bolt, and one finger can extend down to tap the trigger each time the bolt closes. This is exactly what this shooter is doing.

Where this falls apart for the Mosin and the K98 is for two main reasons. The first is that the bolt handle is too far away, so the hand must be moved from the handle to the trigger. The second is that even if it was close enough or you had a very large hand, the MN and K98 are both mauser pattern actions, and the cocking of the bolt happens while it rotates open, this means that you need a full handed force to do this, not just one or two fingers.

Just to clarify the enfield cocks on close, so the user can build up momentum as they slam the bolt forward.

Also just to point out as I <3 the enfield. the world record for enfield shooting was set in 1914 by alfred snoxall. 38 hits on a 12 inch target at 300 yards in one minute.:eek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_minute

i would have a hard time doing that even with a garand, never mind a bolty.

edit : blinde beat me too it...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And how is an enfield related to RO2??? Last I checked there wasnt any enfields or Brittish in Stalingrad and wikipedia isnt a reputable source of correct information.

The OP referenced a Lee Enfield SMLE in the video. I agree that it's not necessarily relevant to the Mosin or the Kar98, in fact I said
Blinde said:
2) the SMLE is probably faster bolting than many other bolt action rifles, and that you can't necessarily generalise from the SMLE to the Mosin Nagant or the Kar98

I had read the information about best ROF with the SMLE in another source, but chose wikipedia because I can search that at work. (If I was at home, I'd be playing Ro2, not reading this forum). The particular fact about the Mad minute is available from other sources, some of which are listed in the footnotes on the wikipedia page.

Upvote 0