• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server ucc vs in-game dedicated server

Skater901

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 22, 2011
So I'm hesitant to post this, as I'm sure the information is out there somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it.

Basically, my question is what is the difference between running a dedicated server from within KF, and downloading the server files with hlds then running a ucc server? I much prefer the console I get when I run a dedicated server from within KF, and I don't seem to be able to actually enter commands into the ucc server...

Also, what does ucc stand for? And what is the name of the server you get when you create a dedicated server from within KF?

I'm also after general information about the pros and cons of the two servers, how they're different, which one is best to use, etc. etc.

I've not tested this although I would imagine that the UCC will use less resources than running a dedicated server through the game. Also most servers don't have a graphics card so you can end up running into issues there when using RDP.

Additionally if you have a linux box then most server providers setup the build as command line only which again is to reduce resource usage as there is no GUI to render.

I always prefer using an out of game dedicated server as they are usually more reliable, functional and when updating you only download the required files.

With regards to UCC I can only imagine that it stands for something along the lines of "Unreal Command Console"

Hope that helps a little bit :)

Upvote 0
do you mean running a listen server within kf?
No, I mean when you click the Host button on the main menu, you then click the Dedicated button to host a dedicated server.

@Shnooter:
Thanks for the info. I guess I don't mind using a command line dedicated server - it'd certainly stop people thinking I'm in KF 24/7 as well as racking up hours on Steam when I'm not actually playing - but I'd like to know a) how I can actually enter commands via command line, as when I tried I couldn't type anything in, and I seem to recall I wasn't getting as detailed messages in the ucc dedicated server.

Also, has anyone noticed when hosting a dedicated server through KF, the console gives a LOT of errors? I keep seeing an error relating to Crawlers jumping, and things like that.

Upvote 0
No, I mean when you click the Host button on the main menu, you then click the Dedicated button to host a dedicated server.

@Shnooter:
Thanks for the info. I guess I don't mind using a command line dedicated server - it'd certainly stop people thinking I'm in KF 24/7 as well as racking up hours on Steam when I'm not actually playing - but I'd like to know a) how I can actually enter commands via command line, as when I tried I couldn't type anything in, and I seem to recall I wasn't getting as detailed messages in the ucc dedicated server.

Also, has anyone noticed when hosting a dedicated server through KF, the console gives a LOT of errors? I keep seeing an error relating to Crawlers jumping, and things like that.

When using the ucc, you can enter commands via the webadmin, under server console

Upvote 0