• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

free aim

free aim

• Free aim movement should be lessened

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Free aim movement is fine the way it is

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • Free aim movement should be increased

Votes: 19 32.8%

• Total voters
If anything I'd like to be able to aim freeer. Like in OPF when you press the "look around" button and you can move your weapon without moving your view at all. That would be nice. I don't know if it would be helpful or not, but it would certainly be cool and I often do it in OPF, even if it doesn't help me.

It helps to be able to look around without moving so much so people can't spot you as easily (movement is easier to detect) but that's only a minor advantage in a video game.

It would be great for imersion purposes though.

Upvote 0
I think it's fine as it is. SMGs are supposed to be capable of operating at the hip. Rifles are supposed to have a harder time. If that bugs you, either (a) shoot the SMGer at longer range, or (b) don't hang out where an SMGer can catch you off guard.

I don't think the degree of movement really has anything to do with it, though. People's problems with SMGs are not that they don't move enough in free aim, but simply that you can spray and pray with them at close range effectively. That's the nature of the weapon, though, not the free-aim system itself.

And remember, increasing free aim movement would screw the bolters just as much because now they'd have to contend with more wavy free aim, too. If the issue is SMG ease of use, then you'd want to ONLY change SMGs and not the free aim system as a whole.

But as I said, I think it's just fine as is.

Upvote 0
I say it should be increased even more, but the gun shouldnt get to much in the way...
It would definitely help against the growing number of spraying and praying smg'ers. GOD that annoys me to HELL and BACK!:mad:

The weapon should simply move around much more when moving. In my opinion hipshoot accuracy STANDING STILL is as it should be, but moving and shooting is way too easy.

Upvote 0
The weapon should simply move around much more when moving. In my opinion hipshoot accuracy STANDING STILL is as it should be, but moving and shooting is way too easy.

Agreed if this implemented we could also reduce smg ironsight recoil in standing to realistic levels to counter balance this but then again these measures would slow the game down slightly and im not if TW want to do that unfortunatly.

Upvote 0
Don't hold your breath on SMG recoil being reduced. I think it's higher than real life standards on purpose, although how MUCH higher may depend on the user.

In the mod, the PP* series of weapons were highly accurate to the point where people complained about PPSh snipers. (not REALLY snipers, but they complained that it felt like you could easily kill at long range)

In fact, the PPSh had good range (as most people here know, I expect), but most RO infantry maps are NOT long-range. I'd say the longest range engagements we have in stock RO for infantry are maybe 400m at the outside, and that's on maps like Odessa when firing down the alley from the tower. Even that may be shorter than 400m.

So, for the most part, you're finding out what most armies in WWII found out: full-size rifles are disadvantaged in modern combat. An SMG or assault rifle is just as good if not better.

Upvote 0
Don't hold your breath on SMG recoil being reduced. I think it's higher than real life standards on purpose, although how MUCH higher may depend on the user.

In the mod, the PP* series of weapons were highly accurate to the point where people complained about PPSh snipers. (not REALLY snipers, but they complained that it felt like you could easily kill at long range)

In fact, the PPSh had good range (as most people here know, I expect), but most RO infantry maps are NOT long-range. I'd say the longest range engagements we have in stock RO for infantry are maybe 400m at the outside, and that's on maps like Odessa when firing down the alley from the tower. Even that may be shorter than 400m.

So, for the most part, you're finding out what most armies in WWII found out: full-size rifles are disadvantaged in modern combat. An SMG or assault rifle is just as good if not better.

IF, and ONLY if, the idiots will actually move up once the enemy is suppressed and get into killing range. In reality this is why MGs are actually the best, but they are heavy and not as good at close quarters.

Upvote 0