• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single player missions?

Just based on general Unreal Engine knowledge, it should be wholey possible to do this.. if you want some custom mission/objective types (like sniper), you'd probably have to make some custom code to handle priority targets. Everything else I'm pretty sure is possible to do in general.

Save games are the hard thing, iirc UE3 wont let you write anything besides inis.

Upvote 0
Save games are the hard thing, iirc UE3 wont let you write anything besides inis.
By default, no, but with an engine licence I have no doubt that John could add the functionality if desired. That said, the impression I get from interview snippets is that the SP won't be the sort that will require saved progress. But we shall see I guess.

Upvote 0

True, but for a ww2 FPS type game something like like 'lastlevelfinished=14' is fine, since you can read that in and start the player on map#15.. or use the typical 'checkpoint' style format that is also common place.. if you want to make persistant XP, you can save that out to an .ini..

Upvote 0

By default, no, but with an engine licence I have no doubt that John could add the functionality if desired. That said, the impression I get from interview snippets is that the SP won't be the sort that will require saved progress. But we shall see I guess.

For what its worth this has been in Xienen's linkedin since around the announcement of heroes of Stalingrad. Stated under the part stating the work done for tripwire interactive.

Worked independently on assigned tasks to upgrade existing game using Visual Studio 2003.NET and Unreal Engine 2.5, and built systems from the ground up for an unreleased project using Visual Studio 2005 and Unreal Engine 3. My tasks included fixing many existing bugs which required quickly understanding existing systems and performing debugging operations on them to pinpoint and correct the issue, developing an extensible artificial intelligence system which was further extended by other programmers within the team, and developing a multithreaded authentication server utilizing TCP/IP and UDP communication as well as SQL database interactions for long term and fast access data storage by multiple servers. Also designed and developed an extensible heads up display system, save game system, and special interactions system for taking cover, climbing ladders, entering vehicles, etc. Also collected and discussed requests for new features and bug fixes from the community to ensure our limited programming resources were used as effectively as possible. Due to excellent work ethic, dependability in many facets of the job, and ability to guide other developers, was quickly promoted to Senior Programmer. The new title included a slew of extra responsibilities, particularly in leading the development and QA efforts on a new project called “Killing Floor”. Once the project was shipped, responsibilities shifted to interfacing with a growing community to improve the product on a monthly basis. Daily progress reports were either submitted via a bug tracking software or in person to the Lead Programmer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0