• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] Restrepo

I saw Restrepo on tv two nights ago. I was very entertained but to be honest expected something more. Something I thought was strange was how the base was named after the soldier Restrepo and everybody loved him but there was barely any actual information on him at all. Basically over the course of the whole movie all I understood about him was that he liked guitar, was pretty funny, and got shot in the neck. I understand the movie wasn't about him specifically but they could have elaborated a bit more.

Also I don't think they did a really good job of showing just how dangerous it is there. They built up how scary of a place it was and then just kinda showed the soldiers walking around and firing off into the distance. The interviews of the soldiers were much more informative in this regard and I think it would have served to make a better impact if there was video footage to back that up.

Still, the soldiers were interesting dudes and the difference in their personalities was cool to see. I also thought the interactions with the locals was pretty fascinating. And it was just interesting in general to see the situation over there.

Upvote 0
I saw Restrepo on tv two nights ago. I was very entertained but to be honest expected something more. Something I thought was strange was how the base was named after the soldier Restrepo and everybody loved him but there was barely any actual information on him at all. Basically over the course of the whole movie all I understood about him was that he liked guitar, was pretty funny, and got shot in the neck. I understand the movie wasn't about him specifically but they could have elaborated a bit more.

Also I don't think they did a really good job of showing just how dangerous it is there. They built up how scary of a place it was and then just kinda showed the soldiers walking around and firing off into the distance. The interviews of the soldiers were much more informative in this regard and I think it would have served to make a better impact if there was video footage to back that up.

Still, the soldiers were interesting dudes and the difference in their personalities was cool to see. I also thought the interactions with the locals was pretty fascinating. And it was just interesting in general to see the situation over there.

Yeah, I agree. Also, in the trailer one of those dudes said "First friend I lost was Restrepo...", but in the actual documentary he mentions an entirely different name. Why they edited that I don't know.

Armadillo is much better in every way. Give it a watch :)

Upvote 0
watched restrepo first and then armadillo, at the same day. i liked armadillo better, even if danish language really is something you've got to get used to :p why do they all have to have these high pitched voices :troll:? and did they really use that many anglicisms (i understand that sometimes they were talking english over the radio, because they cooperated with british forces) or are danish and english that close ("compound" as an example)?
i think armadillo managed to get the tension across better, although luckily nobody of the "protagonists" (kinda hard to seperate people into protagonists and antagonists when you are talking about a real life scenario) died. the imagery was better (it looked cinematic at times, not like a documentary at all (you cant blame restrepo for looking like a documentary, though - it is a documentary) and death was always "in the air". as someone pointed out, in restrepo you mostly saw them shooting at distant hills. i understand that filming under these conditions is near suicide and i dont expect anybody to wield any big telephoto lenses in these situations. but much of it didnt really touch me to a degree that i expected. when the other guy in restrepo got killed (not restrepo, forgot his name), it was the only situation that really hit me. it was hard to see the men literally collapse on the battlefield when they found him. this guy who fought on with his uniform completly soaked in one of his comrades blood was really haunting and something you'd rather expect from a screenplay. i didnt really sympathize with the soldiers that much, though. i wouldn't say they were more or less stupid than their danish "counterparts" in armadillo, but the way they got things sorted with the locals didnt really make me wonder why things seem to be that hopeless over there. if anybody told me that much crap face to face in a way the platoon leader did (i suck at this army-rank stuff. you know, the guy who was the commander of the outpost) i wouldnt be to eager to cooperate, either. he promised all and nothing (and probably that is all he could do. poor guy, dont want to be in his shoes). the the elders of the villages seemed to be rather braindead (or at least pretended to be), too.
all in all both movies showed very well first hand how f***ed up the situation in afghanistan is and no matter what you do (stay there, bail out, shoot, dont shoot, promise stuff, build stuff, dont build stuff, arrest somebody, whatever) you'll end up doing the wrong thing.
both movies were pretty impressive while armadillo was a little more immersive. seeing those dead taliban and how the different danish soldiers reacted to what they just did was really, well... i'm ran out of words. i dont think "exciting" fits the situation, because it got a few people killed in a rather not so nice way...
blame it on my english and watch both movies instead!

Upvote 0
AO = Area of Operations.

And soldiers from almost every (Western) country use a lot of English in their speech, for several reasons:

1. Communication with allies is in English anyway;
  2. Many of the tactics and procedures are based on British and American SOP's
  3. Everyone and his dog knows English
  4. Makes communication easier
'Compound' for example is a word used to describe a collection of buildings or houses, often surrounded by a barrier like a wall. This for example can be called a compound: http://www.michaelyon-online.com/images/stories/compounds/_y4q1771a-730.jpg[url]http://www.michaelyon-online.com/images/stories/compounds/_y4q1771a-730.jpg[/URL]

It's also a word us tactical gamers frequently use, among other English words like roger, copy, arrowhead, etc.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know what a compound is, but I was just wondering why they were using this word also when talking danish. As I mentioned above, I am aware that it makes sense to talk english there (especially over the radio and when british troops are involved), but when the whole sentence is in danish, it doesn't help the english-speaking guy to only understand this one word (and there was no one around, anywway).
There has to be a danish word for "compound", though. I don't speak danish at all, but i know it's close to english and german in a way. These languages are all interconnected, so there are a bunch of words that sound alike or are at least written the same way, so i wouldn't be surprised if it really was "compound" in danish, as well. It would be rather odd, though...
In general I can understand some bits of swedish here and there since I know some english and my mother tongue is german. But danes speak so funnily ( :troll: everybody's making fun of them) that I would be really surprised if the only clear word they use would be compound - exactly as in english :p. Thats why I'm asking. I also know that you tend to pick up words from a language that surrounds you all the time, as english does in their case, so whatever. It just made me curious. Wonder if people not affiliated with the military use that many english words in danish, too. This one guy's mother used some english in her everyday talk, too, for example.

Back to topic....

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know what a compound is, but I was just wondering why they were using this word also when talking danish. As I mentioned above, I am aware that it makes sense to talk english there (especially over the radio and when british troops are involved), but when the whole sentence is in danish, it doesn't help the english-speaking guy to only understand this one word (and there was no one around, anywway).
There has to be a danish word for "compound", though. I don't speak danish at all, but i know it's close to english and german in a way. These languages are all interconnected, so there are a bunch of words that sound alike or are at least written the same way, so i wouldn't be surprised if it really was "compound" in danish, as well. It would be rather odd, though...
In general I can understand some bits of swedish here and there since I know some english and my mother tongue is german. But danes speak so funnily ( :troll: everybody's making fun of them) that I would be really surprised if the only clear word they use would be compound - exactly as in english :p. Thats why I'm asking. I also know that you tend to pick up words from a language that surrounds you all the time, as english does in their case, so whatever. It just made me curious. Wonder if people not affiliated with the military use that many english words in danish, too. This one guy's mother used some english in her everyday talk, too, for example.

Back to topic....

Actually, no, i can't really think of any Danish word that directly translates to "compound".

And yes, we do use a lot of english words, and the reason for it is that we're constantly hearing english in our every day lives.

Why? Because Denmark is a nation of only about 7 million people, who speaks a language unique to thouse 7 or so million people.
For this reason, it's pretty hard to produce entertainment in Danish, it's an extremely limited market, you can only sell a movie/song/TV-Show or anything else spoken in Danish to Danes (and only a percentage of thouse will be interested in buying it), nobody else will buy it, so not all that much gets produced, it's just not profitable.

Instead, most of the entertainment we get is imported from the UK or the USA, because allmost all Danes speak and understand English.

So it's all around us, the TV and movies we watch, the music we listen to, etc, most of it is in English, and thus, it's hardly supricing that bits of English finds it's way into our language, especially when the English word for something is more conveniant than the Danish word, or there just isen't a Danish word for it.

But it's also about mindset, we're hardly the only nation in this world who gets constantly bombareded with the pop culture from a differen't language, but Danes are nothing if not laid back, and we don't really find things like language important, we just don't care what word is used for something, why not just say "Computer", it's easy, why bother inventing a new Danish word for it?

We're certainly not like the French, who seem to think the French language, she is how you say, le sacred! And she must be le protected!

Pfft, nuts to that, i'm not getting out of my compfy chair unless beer and sex are involved :p

Upvote 0