• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Award Points for Dying in an Objective Area + Supplementary Rules to that Effect

=HighXplosive=

Aug 22, 2006
Award points for dying in an objective.

- Gives a further incentive for players.
- Rewards those who make the effort to get inside the capzone, but by some stroke of bad luck die.
- Encourages players who enter a capzone to fight through it and clear it, rather than find a corner and wait out in the hope it will cap and get the points for doing so.

Additional Rules

- The points awarded for dying in an objective should be equal to the amount for capping an objective, to give make the incentive to fight through realistic.

- There should be a multiple deaths on objective bonus, much like the multiple player capture bonus.

The bonus should be removed from suicides.

Supplementary Rules

- Subtract the same amount of points (10 for capping) from team killing a player IN an objective.

- Subtract double that amount for players team killing a player IN an objective who are NOT in an objective themselves.

Addition Points to Note

Adding this feature will favour an aggressive team, particularly on attacker scenarios (Russians on CommissarHouse, for example), more than defensive play. This is intentional as incentive and to reflect the challenge of attacking on some maps.

Last edited:
Just want to say I love these ideas. I was coincidentally playing Apartments earlier and died while taking Propaganda House just before we fully captured it. I said to myself "Hey that's bull****" or something to that extent. I believe rewarding points to people for dying in objective zones would draw more people to the objective rather than them running off rambo style doing their little thing.

Upvote 0
Hmm. A constructive criticism:

I like the spirit of your idea; more incentive to get in cap zones; more reward for having been there.

But, as much as I dislike getting no reward for contributing to a capture I died contributing to, I positively dislike the expression of this idea as you have put it in rewarding the same points for dying in a cap zone as capturing said cap zone.

Giving the same points to the guy who died as the guy who got in there, got the kills he needed to and was alive at the end of the capture? With all respect, it makes no sense. Because when you die in a objective zone, your death makes it harder for your team to capture or hold that zone. That's the bottom line, and the fact that the guy that killed you gets extra points for doing so is a pretty clear reflection of that. It's a failure to die while capturing; you are letting your teammates down. The only way you contributed to that capture was when you were alive being counted as a body in the zone. Dead you are worth nothing...often less than nothing because you may have failed to stop the guy that killed you.

So I would tweak your idea a bit by saying if you die during a capture effort (defined as any time there is some progress on a capture bar without reverting to 100% enemy control) that succeeds (the objective gets captured by your team or reverted in the case of defending it), then you get credit for an "assist" of that capture equal to half the points of an actual capture. Or even a fraction of the capture value based on what percentage of the capture bar progress was made while you were in there (getting complicated, I know).

Reactions: [SM]Fluttershy
Upvote 0
As others have said, laudable to come up with ideas that promote the idea of getting into the caps. "Try it, you might like it," as a certain server advises from time to time. ;)

As far as getting pegged moments before a cap is completed, as annoying as it is, I'm not so sure that this is creating a points imbalance that needs to be redressed via (probably convoluted) points award tweaks. After playing for about 90 hours I can look back upon my gaming and fairly reliably say that for every time I got pegged mere moments before a cap was taken there was another time where I jumped into a cap mere moments before it completed and picked up full points for doing very little indeed.

If the notion is to instead have rewards reflect effort then we

Upvote 0
And then you will also have people trying to switch teams right before match end
Good point, it would be too easily abused. Switching teams doesn’t even enter my thought process when losing (I only play Allies anyway) which is probably why the thought didn’t occur at time of posting.

I'll default back to my original summation: the point system alone probably can't be finessed any further in order to offer incentive for people to cap objectives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0