• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Relaunch when everybody is happy

If Rising Storm is released as an expansion pack I'm sure the major review sites will pick it up. With that, reviewers will get a chance to see the major changes to RO2 since it's release. We can hope, anyway !

I think a re-launch would be pretty extreme, but as a follow-up to my previous thread - i wouldn't mind seeing RO2 released under a new name: Red Orchestra 2: Stalingrad 42' - 43'

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What freaks me out most is to think about what could've been:

Imagine, RO 2 would have been released next week...
- RO 2 could have been more polished and bug free
- the game could have a proper realism mode
- RO 2 would have less bugs because a long beta would have helped not only in bug finding, but also for design adjustments
- it would be more optimized on different computer systems

Besides all that, RO 2 would have avoided to compete with MW3 and BF 3 on sales, plus, skyrim would have cooled down a bit so that players would use their breaks from that game to play fps.

To make a compromise and not offend anybody: after the ship has sunk, everybody knows better...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A re-launch might not be bad idea (assuming it would be free to anyone who allready owns Ro2), it would be a chance to wipe the slate clean and start fresh, and the game really could use that, not only with the public at large, where Ro2 has a tarnished reputation, but with all of TWI's lost fans aswell, to say that it has a tarnished reputation with us would be an understatement.

But then things would really have to change, a bit of spit-polish here and there just won't do it, the game would have to be absolutely solid first, and if you want all the old RO fans on that bandwagon it's must come with a realism mode that would be basically an appology letter to them.

And lose the damned maskot whilst you're at it, you know, that German SWAT-Ninja holding his pimped out MKb, that stands there like Ramm's extended middle finger to all his old fans.

Showing a little good faith to your community by unbanning the people who were purged from this forum, might also be a good start if you want the community back in your corner.

Upvote 0
I certainly think a relaunch would be good - anything to bring in new players and build the brand. It upsets me that I can't get a half full server to play on when the game has only been out a few months (in Aus admittedly, but still...). I had such high hopes of blissful days evenings and nights playing this game, just like I had with ROost.

Upvote 0
And lose the damned maskot whilst you're at it, you know, that German SWAT-Ninja holding his pimped out MKb, that stands there like Ramm's extended middle finger to all his old fans.

Showing a little good faith to your community by unbanning the people who were purged from this forum, might also be a good start if you want the community back in your corner.

Amen to that.

I found it incredibly distasteful to ban long time loyal RO fans. The reason they are so brutal in their criticisms is because they love the game, and want to see it bloom. Unfortunately, some egos tend to be too sensitive to criticism.

The mascot is silly; it clearly tries to emulate BF3 or some **** which isn't RO.

Reactions: Sojuz
Upvote 0
I don't think it will happen. Only half the TW team is working on RO2, and I think it's safe to make the assumption that they are the more inexperienced half of the team. Even with new content and some bandaid solutions to gameplay problems not much will change.

I guess they are working on Killing Floor 2 or other game. I wonder if they are going to screw that great game too by releasing KF2 as lame L4D clone :p

Upvote 0
I dont see why people complain so much about this game when in fact now that I look back the only game worth playing in 2011 was red orchestra 2 and Dead Island. Trust me I played battlefield 3 and if you want to check go ahead I go by OVERKILL_FTF. I played the hell of it till rank 45 and with ration of 3.2 and I think battlefield 3 is nowhere near as fun as red orchestra 2. I have to admit when red orchestra 2 got released I was expecting too much of it cause I was already waiting for too many games at the time. But, in the end when all the games where put on the table and I saw what they all had to offer, red orchestra 2 was the one for me.

Upvote 0
What are the chances that "everybody" will be happy with RO2?

I'm pretty sure giving Zetsumei a game that will make him happy, will make some people unhappy.

As I said nobody will ever be happy, but there can be a certain point that the general concensus of the community still alive at some point is that its a great game.

Patches so far have primarily been focused on performance, not all original content is in the game, and gameplay oriented tweaking hasn't really started much yet.

The moment for a rerelease would be pretty difficult to pick correctly, but I think when well executed could give a nice boost in player amounts for TWI. The main thing is basically starting a big new marketing campaign at some point and getting the game out to reviewers again.

Upvote 0
What are the chances that "everybody" will be happy with RO2?

I'm pretty sure giving Zetsumei a game that will make him happy, will make some people unhappy.

It's pretty telling when;

RO1 1-2 years after release
Small but dedicated pub community
Active competitive community
Active realism community
Iron crescendo
Active mapping community

RO2 currently
tumbleweed/crickets/distant mkb sounds

If TW doesnt realize this then Yoshi isnt doing his job correctly.

Upvote 0
It's pretty telling when;

RO1 1-2 years after release
Small but dedicated pub community
Active competitive community
Active realism community
Iron crescendo
Active mapping community

RO2 currently
tumbleweed/crickets/distant mkb sounds

If TW doesnt realize this then Yoshi isnt doing his job correctly.

They probably wonder why their version of CoD isn't so popular as original.

"but CoD sold in 100000000000000 copies!"

Even a year ago RO:O (so 4 years after release) community/playerbase was more active and happy than it is now with HoS. Plus something what might be called real successor or expansion to Red Orchestra - Darkest Hour added many long months to RO counter.

Upvote 0
I proposed this in a post myself. With MP games, it seems that once the player base is low, it can never reach very high levels in the future. A cheap price, say $10, and include fixes, gameplay tweaks and much more content (8 or so maps, some vehicles, weapons) might work though. Make the game entirely separate.

Perhaps the game can be $30 if you don't own RO2, and $10 if you own RO2.

Upvote 0
So would it be like an expansion?
Red Orchestra 2.5: Death of the Heroes of Stalingrad?

Alone for the title, I could imagine buying your 2.5 version. There were no heroes in Stalingrad. At least not those kind of heroes most of the movies and (up to now) all games are portraying.
ESPECIALLY in the fighting in and around of Stalingrad, I doubt that any soldier felt like a hero. A bullet that killed a soldier was just another bullet from another 08/15 normal soldier. And the guy who shot would quickly notice that he might be the next victim of a bullet out of a gun of another poor dude trying to survive.
There was no such thing as "heroism" in Rattenkrieg.
The title from Nazarov "Red Orchestra 2.5: Death of the Heroes of Stalingrad", shipped without any upgrades, unrealistic weapons and heroes, would even make sense in education: the battle of Stalingrad was dirty and fought by people whose only intentions were to survive and escape from this hell on earth.

Oh man, how much I would like to play a map like Station simply without AVTs and Mkbs...

Make RO go back to it's roots. And in my eyes, the one most important point, maybe even educationally wise was: survival of the fittest and survive is all that's needed. In that regard, RO made me enjoy playing war, but also taught me that I never want to participate in one.

Where RO 2 still has failed is to teach me why I should care about stats and progression. Maybe that was the intention of TWI and I simply can't see it.:confused:

Upvote 0
1st rule of making multiplayer FPS games: don't make CoD clone
2nd rule of making mulitplayer FPS games: don't ever make CoD clone.
It just doesn't work - Medla of Honor tried to be like CoD and it failed, Crysis 2 had CoD-a-like mp gameplay and it failed. Even those korean f2p mmo FPS games which have CoD mp gameplay are often reviewed as "free CoD clones, good as long as you don't have money but oitherwise get CoD". And as we know, RO2 failed. EA has learnt from mistakes - BF3 is somehow different from CoD (no kill streaks, no stupid "customize your holo sight - put sweeet pink heart instead red circle, big recoil, bullet drop, etc.) and I hope that TWI has learnt something too from RO2.

Reactions: Sojuz
Upvote 0