• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What the hell happened?

TheGameexe

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2009
I left probably two weeks after launch because of how poorly optimized RO2 was, went to play Battlefield 3 for a little while, got mixed in with some competition in that game, I'm kind of nearing the end of it, I just came back to RO2 tonight and it seems to me this place is almost a ghost town compared to what it was a few months ago. ROLadder was booming, servers were filled to the brink, and now I can barely find a server that's not using bots. Did TWI really bomb that hard? I heard the patches made the game a bit smoother and what not (not that I can tell on Ultra anyway) but it doesn't seem as if it made any difference.

I'll still play but this is a bit depressing after such high hopes.

Maybe cause it's 4:00AM EST. Which is where most of the decent full servers are often located for me.

Usual playercap is around 1000+ a day, so I don't know why it's a ghost town.

Well, taking that into account, the clan section is dry compared to what it was, considering I was looking for a Soviet-type of unit but they're either dead, deactivated or non-existant. I don't know, maybe it'll be better tomorrow.

Upvote 0
(...snip...)I just came back to RO2 tonight and it seems to me this place is almost a ghost town compared to what it was a few months ago. ROLadder was booming, servers were filled to the brink, and now I can barely find a server that's not using bots.(...snip...)

This above maybe because of the below

I left probably two weeks after launch(...snip...)

Upvote 0
The bots are ruining this for me.

Most servers that arent the one or two max capacity ones available just consist of a handful of dudes farming bots or just mucking around in the chaos.

Admins really need to cut down on it, it keeps me and probably quite a few others away from the game. It wouldn't be a problem at all if they didn't fill in 50 slots.

Reactions: Amerikaner
Upvote 0
@OP game is well optimized now however gameplay isn't that what many have expected.
Regarding clangaming: my clan had ~25 active people in release day, guys from RO:O, CoD and BF section of my clan really wanted to play the game and were looking forward for active competitive as well as public play.
At the moment we have barely one squad (8 people) because no one really enjoys gameplay. HoS feels as lame and cheap clone of CoD and because of that game isn't original or interesting (like RO:O was). Those guys who didn't enjoyed RO before, they came back to their games (why they would pick HoS over MW3 or BF3 when HoS doesn't have good graphic or anything interesting for them? Game feels boring?) and have fun there big time. RO players was waiting for successor of Ostfront and Darkest Hour, game that could continue success of RO series with improved gameplay, new graphics, animations (not carbon copy like some think), but they got arcade and run'n'gun fast paced gameplay with tons of SMGs, rambo MGs, unrealistic unlocks and prototypes so they doesn't like HoS at all too.

TWI said that HoS is going to be:
- tactical game (no it isn't, it has same tactical level as CoD)
- historical accuracy/realistic (Mkb and AVT weapons in Stalingrad, PPsH w/ 30 round mags as default loadout, soviets spawning with Mkbs... CoD: WaW had same historical accuracy level)
- WWII shooter (read above + game has post WWII elements like winter trigger)

2-3 months after RO2 release clan community was less active than RO:O years after release, GJ TWI! Most important you sold more copies than RO:O, game with 0$ commercial budged and hype.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
VERY low level of historical accuracy (from weapons to uniforms, and from tank combat to voice commands... in english!) Arcade style of limited and rather silly unlocks, that you can't even revert?! The list is endless. All that the people were waiting for is RO1 with better graphics, proper, HISTORICALLY ACCURATE uniforms and weapons and major annoyances fixed (like MG deployment system etc.)

TW tried to appeal to both CoD iBoyz crowds and failed because for them the game is still too difficult. While doing that they tried to appease the old fan-base of realism-lovers. Failed here miserably as well. Why? Because if you try to sit on two chairs at ones, sooner or later you will rip your *** apart.

Ende.

Reactions: Depulsor
Upvote 0
I left probably two weeks after launch because of how poorly optimized RO2 was, went to play Battlefield 3 for a little while, got mixed in with some competition in that game, I'm kind of nearing the end of it, I just came back to RO2 tonight and it seems to me this place is almost a ghost town compared to what it was a few months ago. ROLadder was booming, servers were filled to the brink, and now I can barely find a server that's not using bots. Did TWI really bomb that hard? I heard the patches made the game a bit smoother and what not (not that I can tell on Ultra anyway) but it doesn't seem as if it made any difference.

I'll still play but this is a bit depressing after such high hopes.
Welcome back! To the new forums, that is. If you go back and follow the track of developments over the last couple of months, you'll see pretty clearly why people have jumped ship.

That population actually includes me, since I haven't played the game for a serious period of time in at least 2 months myself. I just post here to keep up on new stuff and give my thoughts when I feel it's necessary. I guess even I am not totally sure why I still bother with posting and have Ro2 installed ... I guess it's still some crazy hope that RO2 will eventually at least partially reach what I thought it could have been. And I have plenty of hard drive space ...

Upvote 0
Same maps over and over again...

There isn't even an option to download maps from the server...

There's no true compass or anything which would indicate directions on the map... makes teamwork harder then it already is, especially on public servers.

Still the lockdown which is frustrating. A NKVD commissar coming up from behind to shoot all remaining Russians after the timer ends would be fun though if there's no option to remove it.

Upvote 0
It's like this game was released a year too early.

I agree with that... 4-5 months after the release, many features are still missing or buggy, and the updates we have are mostly bug-fixes and performance improvement (though they are welcome!)...

TWI admitted that they released too soon. If they had released in 2012, they would have had the same rocket-launch, but people would have stayed. I guess it's financial reasons that pulled the release date. They have to pay their staff...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still the lockdown which is frustrating. A NKVD commissar coming up from behind to shoot all remaining Russians after the timer ends would be fun though if there's no option to remove it.

This brings me the idea that maybe a penalty in players Hero or Rank status will force them to teamwork and fight for the bloody objective instead of staying behind popping enemies to gain more weapon experience.

So with every lost game due lockdown all your points gathered the previous three games is down the drain.

Still its better to get totally drop any hero, ranking and lockdown.

Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
This brings me the idea that maybe a penalty in players Hero or Rank status will force them to teamwork and fight for the bloody objective instead of staying behind popping enemies to gain more weapon experience.

So with every lost game due lockdown all your points gathered the previous three games is down the drain.

Still its better to get totally drop any hero, ranking and lockdown.

With your suggestion the camping players on the team would then actually be capable of severally punishing the few players actually trying to do something constructive, since the objective going players would have more to lose since they always have the most points. It might even quickly turn into a trolling tactic for some, to make their teams lose in order to make everybody lose all their points. That is not a very good idea.

Upvote 0
Welcome back! To the new forums, that is. If you go back and follow the track of developments over the last couple of months, you'll see pretty clearly why people have jumped ship.

That population actually includes me, since I haven't played the game for a serious period of time in at least 2 months myself. I just post here to keep up on new stuff and give my thoughts when I feel it's necessary. I guess even I am not totally sure why I still bother with posting and have Ro2 installed ... I guess it's still some crazy hope that RO2 will eventually at least partially reach what I thought it could have been. And I have plenty of hard drive space ...

basicly this^

game as it is right now is a joke. theres so many things wrong with it AND YET the devs are so blind that they cant see that the game they have worked so hard to make is practically dead and full of bots 3 months after it was released.

time they took a step back and looked at the big picture because its a complete mess.

Upvote 0