• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

We should have non-toggle options for Aim/crouch/prone etc

We should have non-toggle options for Aim/crouch/prone etc

• Would you like Non-toggles as well as Toggles

Votes: 50 51.5%
  • The game is fine with only Toggles

Votes: 47 48.5%

• Total voters
Their is no advantage in using non-toggles, their is also no reason why it has to speed any thing up if implemented correctly, most top esports players tend to use toggles, especially aim.

I asked Yoshiro ages ago on twitter if they were implementing it and he replied, saying It was one of the things on the list to do or at least look into.....

Is It too much to ask guys and girls ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Non-toggle would be much appreciated on my side.

Rob, in some cases non-toggle is significantly different to toggle.

Lets say that you have these buttons with toggle:
C: Toggle Crouch
CTRL: Toggle Prone
Spacebar: Jump

Lets say that you have these buttons with non-toggle:
C: Crouch
CTRL: Prone
Spacebar: Stand/Jump

######## 1st example ########
I want to stand.

With toggle:
"Am I at prone or crouching?" If I'm at prone, press CTRL, otherwise, press C.

With non-toggle:
Press Spacebar

I know you don't really ask the question when you use toggle, but somehow you do, and it definitly slows your reaction time.

######## 2nd example ########
I want to crouch. (Let's say I don't want to popup the tactical overlay to know that, who wants to do this anyway?)

With toggle:
-Press C. Oh dang, it goes higher, I was already crouching, press C again.
-Press C. Pheewww good one.

With non-toggle:
-Press C.

That said, like others have said earlier, there's no reason why not to allow everyone to feel comfortable with the game. Basic controls are probably the most important aspects of a game, because you constantly use them. For people that are used to play non-toggle, playing toggle is like if the axis of the mouse were inverted...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Only slightly biased examples, THOR eh? :rolleyes:

Hehe, actually, it's the only cases that i found, where non-toggle is more interesting. Anything else seem equivalent. I haven't found any case where toggle is faster (in thinking time). For example, going to prone from standing or crouch is equivalent in both cases (press CTRL).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bump!

After nearly a year and half, I still feel uncomfortable with toggles. 'Hold' (which has been added to the game) *is* a non-toggle, but not the non-toggle I was looking for. I'd like this:

Alt: Goto Prone
C: Goto Crouch
Spacebar: (Goto) Stand/Jump (if standing)

Can you guys think of any way to tweak the config/create a key binding to get this behavior?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you can rebind keys within a toggle and obtain what you want

You're totally right. I never looked at how they implemented the Toggle Crouch/Prone. They added individual functions for crouch/uncrouch and prone/unprone, so I was able to create the bindings I was looking for:

Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Prone")
Bindings=(Name="C",Command="Crouch")
Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="UnCrouch | UnProne | Jump")

Now it works perfectly :)

Upvote 0
You're totally right. I never looked at how they implemented the Toggle Crouch/Prone. They added individual functions for crouch/uncrouch and prone/unprone, so I was able to create the bindings I was looking for:

Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Prone")
Bindings=(Name="C",Command="Crouch")
Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="UnCrouch | UnProne | Jump")

Now it works perfectly :)
just so i get this straight, you now have it set so "left alt" makes you prone, "c" makes you crouch and the space bar makes you stand from those positions and jump if you're already standing?
if i got that correct, i like it and will have to bind the keys that way as well.

Upvote 0
just so i get this straight, you now have it set so "left alt" makes you prone, "c" makes you crouch and the space bar makes you stand from those positions and jump if you're already standing?
if i got that correct, i like it and will have to bind the keys that way as well.

Exactly. I got that habit from playing CoD UO, which is pretty much the first FPS I played. (sharpened forks thrown at me XD)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having space make you stand up from any position is a great option to have. It makes the controls feel less clunky, and more streamlined.

Definitely, spacebar was the most important part of the issue for me.

I just discovered a conflict with the mantle though, when pressing the spacebar to stand, it would trigger the mantle action if there is a nearby mantle marker. So modified the bindings a bit and now it works like a charm.

Code:
Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Prone | SetSpacebarNoJump")
Bindings=(Name="C",Command="Crouch | SetSpacebarNoJump")
Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="Jump")
Bindings=(Name="SetSpacebarJump",Command="SetBind Spacebar Jump")
Bindings=(Name="SetSpacebarNoJump",Command="SetBind Spacebar "UnCrouch | UnProne | SetSpacebarJump"")

Upvote 0
Damn, found another problem due to the quotes. Here's the final solution:

Code:
Bindings=(Name="LeftAlt",Command="Prone | SetSpacebarNoJump")
Bindings=(Name="C",Command="Crouch | SetSpacebarNoJump")
Bindings=(Name="SpaceBar",Command="Jump")
Bindings=(Name="SetSpacebarJump",Command="SetBind Spacebar Jump")
Bindings=(Name="SetSpacebarNoJump",Command="SetBind Spacebar DoSpacebarNoJump")
Bindings=(Name="DoSpacebarNoJump",Command="UnCrouch | UnProne | SetSpacebarJump")

Last edited:
Upvote 0