• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What am i doing wrong

I can prove it if you really want? I have always used this tactic for commando for longer distances. I also have found the code for it while I had been looking around in the KF source.

Oh I totally believe you mate, it sounds like the type of thing that Tripwire would do, I'm just saying that there are very few occassions that I've needed more accuracy since just shooting while standing has always been sufficient, but it is something thats handy to know ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, as everyone else said, the "AK47" (or Romanian Draco pistol, if you want to be specific) and the FN SCAR-H Mk17 Mod0 are the weapons of choice for most Commandos. The 30-37 round magazine has quite a significant impact upon ZED populations, and if you fire in bursts it's easily controllable. The AK is the best weapon for serious Commandos to use as their main weapon.

The SCAR-H is a nice backup weapon for when the AK is empty, as having it on S/A allows for accurate and powerful shots with its 3 MOA red dot. The follow-up shots are just as accurate, but the 20-25 round magazine isn't ideal for sustained usage.

Upvote 0
Am I the only one who doesn't like the SCAR sights? Rifles take so long to adjust after firing a shot, so the dot is off-center for a few seconds.. It's really more of a distraction than anything, and it covers up whatever you're looking at in the distance - plus I'm used to bad dot sights anyway, so I tend not to trust it (Battlefield 2).

The AK has really nice irons and visibility while firing, can pretty much spray an entire mag with near perfect accuracy if you hold down both mouse buttons.

Upvote 0
Its not about knowing the place of the perk, its about knowing what that perk can do. This guy isn't talking about teamplay if you read his first post, so he needs the ins and outs of the perks abilities, telling him to let an SS take the FP's on solo aint gunna help mate.

Now see, thats a bad way to look at it, thats a know it all way. You must always respect the difficulty. During the halloween event, the achievement was beat Bedlam on Hard, I watched level 6 after level 6 get destroyed attempting that acheivement.

Just because you're a level 6 doesn't make you god on Hard and below, it gives you an advantage, but if you can't utilise that advantage, your doomed.

Know the perk, not the level.

Yes u'r right that he was talking bout solo, i somehow after reading bout part with playing with friends mistook it with a online game.

If its solo hard u can take anything u like on AK and SCAR :p

Yeah there are many not that good lvl 6 players who have problems with 6ppl hard games, i did not had this problem, did Bedlam 3 times in a row and there wasnt any problem.

True that besides of lvl 6 perk u need little bit of skill on hard, but diffrence between perks 0-4 and 6 are big deal, really big advantage (u can get tier 3 in a 2nd wave).

What more can i say to creator of the topic: Commando is not good chouce to lvl up on solo, u need plenty of stalkers to kill, better start to farm them on 6ppl games on hard and camp on stalker spawning points (for example bridges on westlondon, fence near back doors or bungalow on manor, or respawn on foundry), u will make damage while playing but stalkers will be a pain to get for u. Other advice is to carry bullpup when u play other perks and switch on it when u see stalkers, it helps much, on hard for zerker u dont need axe so instead of it u can take bullpup and kill some stalkers while playing.

Upvote 0
edit : after all, the thread is asking what i am doing wrong. if crouching works, its something i do wrong, and that i should correct.
Basically mate for a more efficient ranger shot, crouch. This doesn't affect semi-automatic really unless you're shooting quite a bit but it mainly affects automatic. Try it out mainly when you are comfortable sitting there for a second or more.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies.
i'm reading the debate very carefully. Please go on , its interesting. i'm literraly drinking your experiences of all.

Something just tickle me : does crouching increse accuracy realy?
I thought it didnt, unlike game like CS etc.

If crouching does improve your accuracy I've never noticed it, its not really enough of an improvement that you can't get along without it.

It reduces the cone of fire. An example of making good use of it would be... If you need to drop a husk or siren at distance quickly. Crouching will make your burst hit a tighter spot. Thus you are less likely to waste ammo by making more shots count. Somewhat redundant as the game isn't that unforgiving. When I play commando I tend to crouch out of habit, lets the Sharpies behind me have a clearer shot.

Upvote 0
Does other things can alter it?

i mean moving, walking, standing still....?

Thanks in advance.

Walking alters accuracy, as you walk the gun moves side to side, up and down.

Standing still is standard accuracy

Jumping around you have almost zero accuracy

Crouching which is up for debate could give you more accuracy

If your being attacked accuracy will be almost slim to nothing

Sirens scream totally knocks accuracy out

Husks cannon shot sets you on fire, knocks out your accuracy and blinds your view

Bloats vomit shakes your accuracy and blinds your view

Can't think of many more, i think they're the main ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh yeah i forgot how being beat shake my poor guy.
I dont understand why though...:D
Well, i mean, he still reload very perfectly even underfire, why should some blade in the chest could prevent him from aiming, heh?
/joke

hope we will have the confirmation for crouching soon.

Kudos to you all.
So you actually want me to show some proof then? :p Once I get my files sorted i'll have a look as my PC is being a right pain at the moment.

Upvote 0
Hey Flux.

Well it's 2h35 am, so i'll just drop a message for everyone then going to sleep.
Week end tee hee.
hurm.

So, crouching increase accuracy.
Word.
i've done some test with the AK 47.
The test consisted of firing the gun during 2 seconde and watching how far i got in X and Y (like geometry) to judge how the recoil was

While moving : very far
Still : a bit less, but still far.
Crouched : less, less, very less :D

The cone of bullet spray was also tighter while crouched.

Its good to know that.

ALTHOUGH...it really only apply to commando...

Sharp : well handcannon is dead accurate, even in spam...crossbow is a single bolt...m14 is affected, but still, its semi auto and less prone to jump out of your hands...
perhaps double canon would benefit from it more.
Anyway, i wouldnt want to crouch as sharp, exept against crawler. one word : penetration.

Support : nothing to say...crouched or not, it wont make the shotgun shoot closer pellet. and since it has a low rate of fire, exept AA12 and the recoil is still poor, no need to be crouched.
And same as sharp, for the penetration, why would i crouch...

Medic : could be affected since its all weap are off perks...especially medic gun...but i'd rather heal as a medic, most of the time, affording the luxury to kill when everything is fine...and when everything is fine..well...it's fine.

Firebug : recoil is a non issue (edit exept off perk / very low level), and the flame have no cone

Demo : same

Berserk : lol. Lar could use it tho.

So, exept if i'm wrong, only the commando really use the boost from being crouched, to absorb the whole recoil from its weapon.
i've never had the need to crouch till i had played commando.

thanks for this info, it helped me a lot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh Hey.

I'm not better with commando. I guess.
I have one question wich is not related to commando, though, and i wouldnt bother anyone making a new topic for it.

The demolition perk have a bonus to explosive.
For me, grenades are explosives and by such have the bonus. But the support perk got bonus specifically to grenade.
So, are grenade totally independant for explosive?
or are they counted as explosives?

Thanks in advance.

edit bonus question :
Sometimes fleshpound dont appear.
I mean, for example, on my last hard long game (still solo, my friend is out for the week end) i got the 1st fleshpound on wave 7 as intended, then no FP on wave 8, 9, nor 10 (where i should have 2 usually).
Sometimes it also does it for scrakes.
but for the fleshpound, wich is a rare mob (i wont even notice if a clot would be swapped with a gorefast, for example) and by such also mandatory...what happened?
Is there some random factor to mob appearance?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh Hey.

I'm not better with commando. I guess.
I have one question wich is not related to commando, though, and i wouldnt bother anyone making a new topic for it.

For me, grenades are explosives and by such have the bonus. But the support perk got bonus specifically to grenade.

Thanks in advance.

edit bonus question :
Sometimes fleshpound dont appear.
I mean, for example, on my last hard long game (still solo, my friend is out for the week end) i got the 1st fleshpound on wave 7 as intended, then no FP on wave 8, 9, nor 10 (where i should have 2 usually).
Sometimes it also does it for scrakes.
but for the fleshpound, wich is a rare mob (i wont even notice if a clot would be swapped with a gorefast, for example) and by such also mandatory...what happened?
Is there some random factor to mob appearance?

Grenades are classed as explosives.

That match was on solo or with 6 man team? If a 6 man team then you are seriously lucky to not get anymore but if solo, this is probably due to not enough people to have a good chance of seeing another FP.

Upvote 0
-Thanks for the info about the grenade. bonus to grenade are OP imo, so its good that another than support have an OP thing.

-Nah solo.
And i did it again, on same map, same camp spot...BTW, there was also no bloat, and no husk (well, like 3 husk in 10 rounds) on the 2 tests.
happened to me / us (solo and multi) on some occasion...but it seems to be very dependant of the campspot :/ (and by such, the spawnpoint used by the mobs)
or perhaps the map is special, but its a whitelisted one and such, with nothing special in it. And it also happened on others maps...
On solo i always have one FP on wave 7/8/9 and two FP on wave 10.

Upvote 0

Support only gets bonuses for the hand grenades (frags), not the M32/M79 grenades. Both grenades do count for demolitions leveling though.

Upvote 0
Yeah i noticed that when since i leveled my demolition at first by throwing grenade (without noticing at first).
Now you mention it, its obvious, since demolition up with explosive damage.

I'm dumb.
Dumb.
DUMB.

Sorry for that :(

edit : i was talking about HAND grenades...now i understand why i could have been confusing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i'm not spraying like mad, i always do headhost as much as i can, but the killrate is very low compared to the perks mentionned above.

So is there something i must know to play commando well?

I play commando most, and very close to getting to level 6. If everyone on the server is playing as a team then I usually get the most kills or at least be a close second.

I usually play with the Bullpup and SCAR. With the Bullpup I don't bother going for headshots unless there's no pressure on the team or the specimens are in my face. I get the most kills when my team is surrounded and I just spray away all the small stuff. I ignore anything large unless I'm with weak players. I focus on stalkers and crawlers. Crawlers because they have the same spawn as stalkers. I'll go for Sirens if I'm with an inexperienced team since they will not kill them quick enough and Husks because they're easy targets with the SCAR if you can cope with the recoil. Bloats can be a waste of ammo, I'll take it's head off, but go for faster moving specimens first. I mostly use the Bullpup, but get out the SCAR when under pressure, or if I really have to deal with Scrakes and Fleshpounds on lower difficulties. Ideally ignore the Fleshpounds and only go for a severally damaged Scrake with a SCAR and put every round into his head.

The Bullpup is just a spray weapon, used correctly you won't burn through ammo compared with the number of kills, the SCAR I tend to go for headshots. But I think the Commando is more about acquiring and engaging multiple targets, especially where it's tight and/or dark. I'm always thinking about 3-5 shots ahead of what I'm currently shooting at. So I rarely looking at what I'm currently shooting at. With the exception of stalkers I'll tend to ignore single specimens and go for dense groups. Rather than thinking about heads to shoot off I'm looking for packs of specimens threatening the team which need thinning out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
never thought of bullpup + scar.
Oddly enough, i pair following tier weapon.

But isnt the bullpup weak at later difficulties?

Also, according to http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=45945
The spread bonus apply to hitscan weapon.
Sometimes,i notice bullet travel for the assault rifle, mostly the AK.

So does the accuracy bonuses works for the ARs ? :s
because even if the recoil is basorbed when crouched, sometimes, even the first shoot is awfully off. like i can miss a zed at 2meter away from me, and the bullet hit the floor while i'm aiming his head. /lulz.

Upvote 0
The advantage Commando has over Firebug is that it can be used as a tactical assault perk.

You're 100% correct, both are fantastic at crowd control, but Commando can be used as tactical assault. Firebug just sprays, anything it hits, it lights them up like a christmas tree. Commando can be used as a spray, or it can be used as a precise, tactical assault perk too, you can hit headshots from the same distance an SS can.

Again I have to go back to, it depends who is playing, for me Commando is far more effective overall than the SS, the only reason SS is useful is because the xbow can headshot FPs, other than that its down and out.

The all rounder is what you said though, Support, that perk is a one man wrecking crew, crowd control, blunt force, high damage, you just dont need to be tactical with support, just shoot.
This.

Commando is my favorite perk, I use it as a higher RoF and more accurate SS perk. I will only go for headshots and since I consider anything lower than a Skrake or FP part of the mob, I will try and decap it with slow precise shots. Sometimes I shake my head when I see other Commando players spamming 6 shots only to kill one clot when they could have killed six clots with one shot each. :(

I also love being in the front line and taking out as much of the mob as possible and 99.99% of the time I play on HoE so each zed that's taken out means more of a chance that will make it to Pat. With plenty of ammo I'm the guy who can take a shot at everything that isn't a Skrake or FP and not have to worry about reloading to often or saying I'm out of ammo give me a gun. :p

I'm not sure how many people I've played KF with from here but they could probably tell you that I just like to shoot digital monsters and kill them as quickly as possible and Commando fits my requirements perfectly.

Upvote 0