• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Who wants gigantic DH sized maps?

And UE2.5 is? That would be a step backwards if UE3 didnt... it has something more with "detail" doesnt it?

Can you think of any game that uses UE3 that has multiplayer levels as big as RO2? Homefront is the only game that comes to mind, it had pretty big levels but they weren't as big as RO2's and they were only meant for 32 player, not 64.

Homefronts graphics weren't that great and the performance wasn't the best either, although it does perform a lot better than RO2 (Hopefully TW gets that fixed though). I just don't think UE3 was designed for giant 64 player maps, more for small maps on consoles with only 10 to 18 players.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't want the kind of tank maps we've had in RO and DH. Most of them are pretty much pure tank battles with ridiculous amounts of heavy and uncommon vehicles. Then you have the ones that only have AT soldiers and snipers for infantry roles, which - while somewhat understandable in terms of expectations of gameplay - are rather pointless to have on a map made up mostly of armored vehicles.
Those maps were inherently strange, anyway. Tanks going in en masse to seize towns and other objectives over long range from other tanks, with no regular infantry to speak of. Large combined arms maps can be fun, but you have to limit the amount of tanks active at a time to ensure that the infantry can have some fun too.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Gumrak as it is right now. If made into a combined arms map with a bit more cover in the objective zones, it'd be great. Many tank engagements involved infantry in some capacity or another, especially if they involved the seizure of urban areas. Since Gumrak is somewhat reminiscent of Arad to me anyway (The layout is somewhat similar), I think infantry support for the armor would spice up the battles on the map.

Upvote 0
DH has some very large infantry focused maps that are really great. In general I like the giant maps that have actual landmarks and villages, bridges, realistic terrain etc. to fight over. On a lot of these maps even though the overall map is huge the objectives are close enough together that you usually aren't going that long without being in action. (most of these maps have copious troop transport as well)

Not a big fan of the giant open tank maps with terrain from some alien planet and giant plaeutus for tanks to fire across the entire map on.

Upvote 0
Bigger maps are always good, supporting teamwork and tactics, however the mapper has to make sure to allow enough posibilitys for attacking and defending positions to force movement in different directions.

OMG Kiwi :D long time no see

Maybe you remember me from the Frontlines Mod Team.

@topic:
yeah, I really want to have more DH like maps (not the panzer maps but the great panzer/infantry based maps). Maps like Barracks isn't what this game makes it up for me.

Upvote 0