• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

More historical loadouts for Realism mode

• Yes

Votes: 658 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 4.9%

• Total voters

SiC-Disaster

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 16, 2005
Netherlands
www.tangodown.nl
Alright, so there have been many discussions going on about various things.
The two most prominent (apart from bugs etc) that come to my mind are the overpresence of the AVT and MKB weapons, and that Full Realism and Relaxed Realism are not very different from one another except for some HUD changes.

Considering the design team decided to focus the game more on semi- and fully automatic weapons instead of bolt action rifles, and on top of that decided the make the prototype weapons available for every Assault trooper instead of just Heroes, that seems unlikely to change.
But considering the fact that many fans are upset about these decisions (to put it lightly), would it not be possible for TWI to make a concession, and add onto the Full Realism mode with a more historical loadout?
That would mean less semi and fully automatic weapons, MKB and AVT available ONLY for Heroes, and with a bigger focus on the trusty bolt action rifle?

This has multiple upsides imo.
First of all, there is a bigger difference between Relaxed Realism and Full Realism.
But more importantly, the fans who want a more historically authentic game can now have it without resorting to mods and mutators, which imho is a very bad thing to make us rely on.
At the same time, people who do not care so much and want to use all the weapons (as if they couldnt in Firefight mode, but that aside) can still play the game as it is now in Relaxed Realism mode.

There are ofcourse other things people are arguing about, like the lack of sway after you are done sprinting. This is however not such a clearcut thing we can all agree on i think.
The upside of the no sway after sprinting is for example that it makes it easier to attack an objective, which can only be good for gameplay i think considering how many people like to hang back. There are two sides to that particular coin.
However, i think we can all agree there is an overabundance of semi's and assault rifles, with the MKB and AVT particularly offending.

So, i think a poll is appropriate. Vote yes if you agree with me and want a more historical loadout and prototypes for Heroes only for Full Realism mode.
Otherwise, gtfo. (just kidding, just vote no)

Well I do not think you guys relay want real load outs...
The German players would be screaming at you 24/7.

As their will be a noticeable number of players who are officially armed only with a pistol (no their not MG gunners or leaders).

Both teams historically should have at lest 5x SMGs, 4x LMGs and the rest rifles.
Though Semi autos and extra SMGs are an unknown veriable due to various situations in it's use. As such supply demands, and rate of issue, and is this a adhoc assault unit.

Though it also depends on what dose one want for the default loud out, one could give the Russian players 32 SMGs and that would be realistic (each regiment was supposed to have a company at regimental level entirely armed with them with nothing else (sans grenades).)....

As such I think whats wanted is roughly half the assault and semi auto slots removed. So that theirs only ~10 automatic weapons per team (sans MGs). Which should give each team at lest 18 bolt action rifles on a full server.

Upvote 0
Why did you even put "no" on the poll?

Didnt think a poll would take just 1 option :p
Maybe i should have made it yes/yes? ;)

Kidding aside, lets get as many votes as possible to show TWI that we would like them to make this happen.
After all, they were the ones who said options were good and never hurt anybody...

Upvote 0
I am learning to enjoy the game a little more after the immediate feeling of let down in the first few days.

A lot of bugs have been fixed and the game is a lot more stable.
Anyway i'm still a bit deluded, i can't be 100% happy with a game where every noob could easily score hits from >150 meters where in RO you had to have your weapon rested, possibly prone, you had to compensate for distance and opponent direction and speed and that was not enough...you had to be a good marksman also.

I still hope in an harsher level of realism, more RO1 style.
Otherwise i see myself playing this game for a pair of spare hours every week in the following few months and then waiting for something else or going back to the classic RO.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Be careful what you wish for.

While bolt-action rifles were more prevalent than automatic weapons, rifles were not the weapon of choice for storming bunkers, buildings, or strong points.

As far as I know, the Germans would organize squads armed with automatic weapons, a lot of grenades, and possibly flamethrowers to clear buildings.

While having riflemen as support makes sense for maps such as Redoctoberfactory and Spartanovka, Apartments and Pavlov's house would almost certainly be assaulted by soldiers armed mostly with automatic weapons.

I assume the Red Army would operate in much the same fashion, preferring sub-machine guns and grenades for clearing buildings.

Upvote 0