• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Warning: protected area!

SnowyOak

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2011
Chicago, USA
I've died to this a couple times; basically the game displays this message too you when you enter the enemy spawn areas. After about a second of the warning, you will die immediately.

I have a few problems with this. Not necessarily the mechanic itself but how it's executed.

Firstly, the delay after initially seeing the message before you get killed seems far too short. I literally see the message and before my brain can even understand that I'm moving into an enemy spawn area, I'm usually dead. I think 3 seconds should be the minimum time given. The current delay is so short that it leaves the player with no real chance to turn back. As it is now, the game might as well not give us a warning message and could simply kill the player to achieve the same effect.

Furthermore, the message should either be changed in color from white, which is easy to miss, or some other signal should show on the screen similar to the leaving combat zone warning method of a flashing screen and audible warnings.

Secondly, the spawn area can change as the game progresses. I've played territory and moved up into an area, trying to cap a point, while the enemy team begins to cap one of our points. It's very exciting to have a cap race as one point will get capped and the other will get locked. However, the game punishes this type of play by making the locked point a protected area.

Myself and a few friends of mine have been caught by this where we've been trying to cap a point when the enemy caps ours and we instantly die in the newly locked point before even getting the chance to back out of it (Not to mention we would need a minimum of ~10 seconds to actually run out of that point). I'm not sure how this would be fixed, but it should be addressed somehow; discouraging players from trying to cap points because of the instant death possibility really seems like a harmful mechanic.

Has anyone else experienced these issues & what are your thoughts on fixing it?

If you play for the objectives rarely will this be a problem.There have been a few times tho where we was trying to retake and objective and the other team caps their next objective.Turning the cap we was trying to take into a spawn zone and we was pretty much toast.

This is rare tho most of the time if you play in and around the capzones its not a problem.

Upvote 0
protected area

protected area

Yes, I agree, this is annoying. I can understand that this may not happen if you concentrate on the cap areas, but, what happened to being able to out flank your opponents?? I have tried to outflank several times when this has happened.

If you outflank you are able to slow the enemy down and give your team mates a chance to bed in at the caps.

I think the protected areas should not kill you if you are already there. that would be the best solution I think. And about a 5 second warning period for when you stray in to one.

Stallen

Upvote 0
Once you learn where the protected areas are, it's easy to avoid them for the most part. What I -don't- like is that they move around. I've died several times on Spartanovka as an MGer for being "offsides" when they capped farther down the way. The refs blow the whistle and my legs fly off at the kneecaps. It's rather frustrating.

Reactions: Frostedfire
Upvote 0
Just stay close to the objective and it shouldn't be a problem. The only map it can surprise me on is station, when going under the hallway areas of the ruined building.

I don't WANT to always stay in the cap areas though, I wanna work in behind them and take out their reinforcements before they even get close to being a threat to the cap zone. For a game who's player cry about realism so much, this seems terribly unrealistic.

Oh and in before some fanboy makes up some lameass rationalization as to why it really is realistic to just drop dead from flanking.

Upvote 0
Just stay close to the objective and it shouldn't be a problem. The only map it can surprise me on is station, when going under the hallway areas of the ruined building.

Yeah, but MG'ers work better on the flanks, not on the objective. That's for the assault and rifleman guys. We need to catch the enemy at enfilade from a bush on the way to the objective given the constraining nature of our weapons of choice.

Upvote 0
Just wait till the they add APC's lol when I first started playing ro1.I was on a map and driving a full apc with like 8 guys in it.Was trying to avoid the tanks so I went wide right and strayed to far and Boom! halftrack blew up on got 8 TK's in one shot and autobooted from the server :p

As Josef said it hurts the mg'ers as well as the snipers/AT guys the most their the ones that have a good excuse not to be in/around the capzone covering the flanks.So ya I agree they should be more time for the warning.

Upvote 0
This is a pretty unforgiving and broken feature in this game right now. What is most annoying is how impossibly stealthy that warning is. You don't even see it until it's too late. I think BF and other games grayscale your screen when you leave the field of battle, so you know immediately. Or apply a heavy blur to the viewport so you know something is wrong. It was the same in RO1, just a small bunch of text in the upper left hand corner of the screen where NO ONE looked, then DEATH!

Let the players who are caught behind enemy lines live, don't do this auto-kill BS... and please make the warning bigger if you are walking into enemy lines. Either flash the screen with red, or defocus the camera, or grayscale the image. Even have the player say something like "I will be shot if I run away!"

Upvote 0
This is a pretty unforgiving and broken feature in this game right now. What is most annoying is how impossibly stealthy that warning is. You don't even see it until it's too late. I think BF and other games grayscale your screen when you leave the field of battle, so you know immediately. Or apply a heavy blur to the viewport so you know something is wrong. It was the same in RO1, just a small bunch of text in the upper left hand corner of the screen where NO ONE looked, then DEATH!

Let the players who are caught behind enemy lines live, don't do this auto-kill BS... and please make the warning bigger if you are walking into enemy lines. Either flash the screen with red, or defocus the camera, or grayscale the image. Even have the player say something like "I will be shot if I run away!"

What's worse though is that you're on the front line, no enemy between you and your teammates, then suddenly you're "behind the lines" and instantly dead. It's absolute nonsense.

Upvote 0
It prevents flanking.

Not good, I don't like it.

Big time. My fav (ha) is when the Russians get it in Grain Elevator, and you can't even approach the side of the building. Well, when they're all in the upper windows ADS'd on your spawn and smoke doesn't even mean very much since they can see over and behind it, wth are you supposed to do when you can't even flank?

Upvote 0
I was really hoping RO2 would go back to the good old days of BF1942 where if you wanted to spend the extra 5 minutes treading along the edge of the map to get a good flank on your opponent, you could do this. I feel really trapped by bottle necks in the current restricted map layout. This is why it's called flanking, so you can swing the tide back in your favor by sneaking a squad in behind enemy lines and cut off their reinforcements, or divert enemy resources to your location while your team can capture a strategic position. C'mon TW, release the maps to us soliders! :)

Reactions: knigtstemplar
Upvote 0