• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

even ign thinks cod is ruining fps games

Call of Duty is worsening other games. In the fact that due to it's popularity other games try to copy it's gameplay.

Look at Crysis 2. The original Crysis was almost the ultimate sandbox arcade/semi-arcade tactical shooter with tons of atmosphere, a crazy storyline and it just felt really good. I really hoped on a proper sequel which might even improve on that.

Crysis 2 just destroyed that completely. It still has a bit of freedom (more than Call of Duty), but you have to go through that bottleneck/funnel anyway.
The same goes for Homefront, etc.

Upvote 0
For the same reason it was in Quake and Unreal Tournament.:rolleyes:

The problem isn't that the games in question all share the concept of deathmatch, the problem is that their mechanics are all the same. They all have the same weapons, the same iron sights, the same movement, the same regenerating health.

RO isn't just great for it's Day-of-Defeat-like gamemode, but because its game mechanics are so different. E.g. free-floating aiming, huge focus on single-shot rifles, etc.

Upvote 0
For the same reason it was in Quake and Unreal Tournament....:rolleyes:

Never played quake or the older UT games, but UT2004's maps where rather large. Typically you would last longer, and in Onslaught some team work and tactics where required to win. From what I have played in CoD 4 and MW2, neither such are present.

RO isn't just great for it's Day-of-Defeat-like gamemode, but because its game mechanics are so different. E.g. free-floating aiming, huge focus on single-shot rifles, etc.

While being different is nice, it is not the most important thing. RO is fun because it is realistic, requires skill, and makes you feel like you are there. CoD fails to convince me that I am playing a game half the time. My mind wonders off as I am button mashing. If 80% of all FPS games became realistic, and where mostly SWAT 4 or Raven Shield style tactical shooters I would not complain one bit.

Reactions: Discoisntdead
Upvote 0
Don't forget Half-Life was born of Quake and RO was born of...
Soldiers of Fortune?:p

Flogger23m said:
For the same reason it was in Quake and Unreal Tournament....

Never played quake or the older UT games, but UT2004's maps where rather large. Typically you would last longer, and in Onslaught some team work and tactics where required to win. From what I have played in CoD 4 and MW2, neither such are present.
Oh, you're one of the onslaught people. Well, whatever you think of onslaught and the inclusion of vehicles in UT in general, I think we can all agree that they don't really enhance classic UT gameplay but more or less replace it. "Guy with flak" vs. "guy with rl" vs. "guy with link" all stops being important in onslaught, because it's all "guy in vehicle" vs. "guy not in vehicle".
So whether you like the mode or not, it really has little to do with what UT used to be all about.
And what it used to be about didn't involve huge, expansive maps and elaborate teamwork but shoebox sized maps (and more players on the bigger maps, so it evens out...) killing, dying and respawning.:p

Flogger23m said:
While being different is nice, it is not the most important thing. RO is fun because it is realistic, requires skill, and makes you feel like you are there. CoD fails to convince me that I am playing a game half the time. My mind wonders off as I am button mashing. If 80% of all FPS games became realistic, and where mostly SWAT 4 or Raven Shield style tactical shooters I would not complain one bit.
Hm. Interesting, but I don't agree at all. If every game became a copy of Ravenshield I would admittedly like that more than every game becoming a copy of CoD, but it would be just as boring to me. It would be the same "oh look, another *blanc*" atmosphere that we have now, except I would have liked the game that started the craze a lot more.

If the very notion of a fast-paced deathmatch type game doesn't appeal to you to begin with though, why would it even bother you that lately every game of that genre is the same?
Your problem is that the genre of the tactical shooter isn't doing well lately. You should be complaining about series of tactical shooters that have gone down the drain or that there are so few tactical shooters scheduled for a release.
Not about the sorry state of (at the moment: CoD-like) deathmatch games you wouldn't even be interested in if they wouldn't suck (and weren't CoD-like).:)

Upvote 0
Respawn, kill, die, respawn, and so on...in a shoebox-sized map.

How is that fun?

A lot of times I want to forget about tactics and teamwork and just kill stuff. You never suffer a lack of targets in shoebox-sized maps. Also, I loved Quake 3 and Serious Sam nearly as much as Red Orchestra so really it's a matter of taste. Seems a lot of people decrying the consolization of shooters have forgotten that PC first person shooters were once more "arcadey" than those of any other platform - they just took a hell of a lot more skill than their modern counterparts like CoD.

Falkenhorst said:
They say stupid people have more fun.

We sure do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shepherd and Murphy
Upvote 0
Replies in bold.

Soldiers of Fortune?:p

Oh, you're one of the onslaught people. Well, whatever you think of onslaught and the inclusion of vehicles in UT in general, I think we can all agree that they don't really enhance classic UT gameplay but more or less replace it. "Guy with flak" vs. "guy with rl" vs. "guy with link" all stops being important in onslaught, because it's all "guy in vehicle" vs. "guy not in vehicle".
So whether you like the mode or not, it really has little to do with what UT used to be all about.

I didn't like UT3 as much as 2004 due to Onslaught being dumbed down with small maps and less freedom. Without Onslaught, UT is worthless to me.

And what it used to be about didn't involve huge, expansive maps and elaborate teamwork but shoebox sized maps (and more players on the bigger maps, so it evens out...) killing, dying and respawning.:p

Hm. Interesting, but I don't agree at all. If every game became a copy of Ravenshield I would admittedly like that more than every game becoming a copy of CoD, but it would be just as boring to me. It would be the same "oh look, another *blanc*" atmosphere that we have now, except I would have liked the game that started the craze a lot more.

I don't care if a game is similar to another. I prefer good gameplay over being unique but boring. I'd gladly pay again for a Raven Shield like game that was modernized with a new engine, iron sights, and some other realism or tactical based features.

Not about the sorry state of (at the moment: CoD-like) deathmatch games you wouldn't even be interested in if they wouldn't suck (and weren't CoD-like).:)

CoD effects a lot of games. It ruined Crysis 2 and the new Ace Combat. The Ace Combat developers are being honest and admit that they are copying CoD's style of gameplay and feeling. Everyone is copying CoD's style of gameplay... this means making the game suit the lowest common denominator (people who are not gamers). As a result, just about every game gets dumbed down. No one cares to make a decent story and open SP experience because CoD sold well... no one cares to make a realism based game because CoD sells so well... ect.

Upvote 0
I didn't like UT3 as much as 2004 due to Onslaught being dumbed down with small maps and less freedom. Without Onslaught, UT is worthless to me.
I sure hope you're part of a minority.:p I wish UT would get back to it's vehicleless roots one day. I liked the inclusion of melee and special abilities in UC2 a lot better than the inclusion of vehicles in UT2004. Because they worked well and meshed into UT's gameplay and didn't make it take a back seat to something else entirely.
Anyway, enough about UT. Your UT is very different from my UT anyway.:(

I'd gladly pay again for a Raven Shield like game that was modernized with a new engine, iron sights, and some other realism or tactical based features.
I would gladly pay for a game like that too! But not for fifty of them that are all the same.:(

CoD effects a lot of games. [...] Everyone is copying CoD's style of gameplay...
That's true, unfortunately.:(

Reactions: Major Liability
Upvote 0
I would gladly pay for a game like that too! But not for fifty of them that are all the same.:(

This. 100%. I personally think that the death of gaming is not being too arcadey or whatever; thats just some peoples personal tastes. No, the death of gaming is originality. It is in making your game not for profits, not to stick within the companies safe zone, but to make art. To go outside the box, and focus on what you can do. On making the best game you can, a masterpeice unlike any other. Because, even with a low budget, a little creativity can do better than a massive multi-million game focused on being the same as another.

Now its okay to have a few games like one thing or another, and its okay to have similarities. But thats not what is happening...what is happening is a massive surge not to be different, unique, but to try and be the best of another game. Its like re-runs, over and over, where they think that its a contest to see who can make the best re-run....instead of taking the risk, making the leap, and starting their own show.

Don't blame CoD. Don't blame consoles. There are only two people to blame: Those who make games to parasitically feed off of anothers franchise and work only to make money and run before you realize you've been duped. And the other party is the consumers, who are themselves too afraid to try something new, and so they feed the monster, force companys to producers who think that this is what the public wants...and the sad thing is. They are right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with CoD in itself - it's a fun arcade deathmatch game. The problem is Activision making sure there are no mod tools and releasing community splitting DLC that is such a horrible value it's downright offensive on a personal level. :mad:

I'll play MW2. I will never buy their god-awful DLC.

Cod is not a fun deathmatch arcade, that would be something like i dunno UT or serious sam.
What happened to that kind of shotters? Everything is modern warfare. EVERYTHING.

give me a proper unreal 3, or something random.

Reactions: Shepherd and Murphy
Upvote 0
Tribes 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. That's all I'll say.

Unrealistic =/= not fun or "requiring less l33t skillz"

Tribes was actually a ridiculously challenging game online... getting direct hits with your disc launcher while flying across the map and trying to hit other dudes flying across the map ain't easy.

Seriously seriously fun game.

We need a new totally unrealistic GOOD shooter.

Upvote 0
Tribes 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. That's all I'll say.

Unrealistic =/= not fun or "requiring less l33t skillz"

Tribes was actually a ridiculously challenging game online... getting direct hits with your disc launcher while flying across the map and trying to hit other dudes flying across the map ain't easy.

Seriously seriously fun game.

We need a new totally unrealistic GOOD shooter.
Agreed. But of course the argument that CoD is killing FPS games has very little if nothing to do with the game's gameplay itself. Rather, IGN is arguing that because CoD is so widely imitated these days, it's stifling creativity. This would be true of any kind of game. If EVERY FPS out there was trying to copy Unreal Tournament in the same way, we'd be having the same discussion.

Upvote 0