• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Movie] The Movie Thread #2

Have you seen the CGI trailers for "The Old Republic"?

They're pretty damn gritty and brutal. Imagine if the original series was made like that, aiming for 18 rather than "U." It'd be the best damn sci-fi movie ever.

I'm a Star Wars fan, but I think Star Wars should be Star Wars and not have graphic violence or raunchy sex, its supposed to be for kids as well as adults.

Upvote 0
The Descent is great if you like horror movies.

[URL]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/[/URL]

The plot is 6 adventure seeking chicks from the UK come to America to explore some caves. One of them decides to lead them into some unmapped caves so they can name it themselves, but she doesn't tell the rest of the bunch. Well it turns out they aren't alone in those caves, something else is amongst them. All they have to defend themselves with is their climbing gear, good thing it can stab through skulls nicely. It has psychological horror to it as well. Just make sure you watch the version with the UK ending not the American ending.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Descent is great if you like horror movies.

[URL="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/"][url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435625/[/URL][/URL]

The plot is 6 adventure seeking chicks from the UK come to America to explore some caves. One of them decides to lead them into some unmapped caves so they can name it themselves, but she doesn't tell the rest of the bunch. Well it turns out they aren't alone in those caves, something else is amongst them. All they have to defend themselves with is their climbing gear, good thing it can stab through skulls nicely. It has psychological horror to it as well. Just make sure you watch the version with the UK ending not the American ending.
Yep, great movie. The sequel is pretty solid too.

Upvote 0
I agree with Nicholas

Star Wars is not Sci-Fi (in the traditional meaning) and we all know that Gibby only watched Star Wars because of Chewbacca :rolleyes:

O rly?

Spoiler!

I'm kinda partial to the Ewoks myself.

Anyway, back to movies, whoever likes psychological horror should watch Room 1408. It's a damn good movie and it reminds me heavily of silent hill in a way. Just watch it. ;o

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sunshine is good if you like Sci-Fi, selfless sacrifices, and a great musical score.

[url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0448134/[/URL]

50 years into the future, the Sun begins to die, and Earth is dying as a result. A team of astronauts are sent to revive the Sun - but the mission fails. Seven years later, a new team is sent to finish the mission as they are Earth's last hope.

Upvote 0
Just saw the new "True Grit" movie, and I liked it better than the old John Wayne version (which is saying something). The setting was grittier and more realistic in this one, I liked the atmosphere and characters, and the new ending feels a bit more in sync with the newfound grit. The main character also felt a bit more realistic and just overall tougher than the very clean and a tad i dunno...prissy?....version of her in the original.

Of course, competing with John Wayne is near impossible, but the movie is probably the best one to try. Altogether I liked it; what did y'all think of it?

Upvote 0
Saw the new Tron movie the other day, it was pretty decent, audiovisually a feast but the story was pretty stock standard. It had Dr. Hotpants from House in it though so I can't complain
faceg.gif

I definitely want to see True Grit, it isn't out here until the day after Australia day so I'll see it coming off a hangover. I was never a big fan of John Wayne, the guy could not deliver a line without making it sound hammy. Maybe I'm just from a generation too far detatched to appreciate him :confused:

Also want to see The Fighter, looks interesting.

Upvote 0
Saw Avatar: The last Airbender yesterday.

30 minutes in, when they magically teleported to Ba Seng Sei, I stood up and turned it off, exclaiming to my family how I couldn't bare to watch it anymore.
They thanked me saying "At least someone did it."

It's awful, they rushed it, the choice of actors (Specifically, their race) was awful, they didn't stick to their character age/race/personalities, they didn't stick to the storyline at all. Heck, not even Aang's tattoo's were correct, they had to go ahead and try make them look like he had vine's growing on his head.
It was awful, they left out a lot, they magically teleport from one place to another, they make the Fire Nation a bunch of panzies.

I wouldn't recommend anyone watch this, even if they havn't seen the cartoon.

Upvote 0
@Nimsky I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope the
Spoiler!
didn't ruin the final act of the movie for you. Could you link philhellenes video so I can see what you are talking about?

@RC Did you really expect an M. Night Shymalan movie to be anything but horrible? The man churns out crap movie after crap movie. Whenever he has a new movie coming out and it shows the preview, as soon as it shows his name the entire theater just groans. It's hilarious.

Upvote 0
@RC Did you really expect an M. Night Shymalan movie to be anything but horrible? The man churns out crap movie after crap movie. Whenever he has a new movie coming out and it shows the preview, as soon as it shows his name the entire theater just groans. It's hilarious.
Unfortunately I had no clue who directed it, until I saw a poster of it today at the supermarket.

South Park's Imagination Land episodes sure got him accurate, that's for sure...

Upvote 0
@Nimsky I am glad you enjoyed it. I hope the
Spoiler!
didn't ruin the final act of the movie for you. Could you link philhellenes video so I can see what you are talking about?

Actually, did you know
Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Netflix is awesome, hopped on about a month ago. I've never really had the opportunity to watch too many movies, so I've missed out on a lot.

What I've seen in the past month:
Dr. No (1962)
From Russia With Love (1963)
Thunderball (1965)
You Only Live Twice (1967)
The Final Countdown (1980)
MacArthur (1977)
The Right Stuff (1983)
Tora! Tora! Tora! (1970)
The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (1965)
The Man Who Never Was (1956)

And tonight:
North by Northwest (1959)

Upvote 0