• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

let's not get carried away

Wait a second, I thought you are the guy who has 9/10 people here against him? ;)
Nope, ArmA2 fanboys hating everyone with an open-mind and anyone whos life consists of more than posting 3xA4 page long virtual battle plans doesn't make up more than 3/10, roughly. Thanks for further derailing this thread though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Points well made and noted but I would suggest that most of what you are describing amount to a list of refinements and improvements to the existing Ro genre. I was hoping they might be a little more ambitious and produce something that goes beyond ROOST by redefining how the game is actually played.

If the gameplay is completely different then it wouldn't be Red Orchestra, would it? If you want something made by tripwire that isn't RO, play Killing Floor, it's not like RO is tripwire's only game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
True Mr Hypnotoad, I guess I'm just wishing for a more expansive game instead of a series of individual maps but that's not going to happen probably with RO series and probably most people here dont want it too, though some might (judging by the wistful posts about WW2 online).

For those dismissive posters who would rather tell me not to buy it (nice pr drive guys) I still intend to buy, play and am trying to drum up suppport inside my clan (stubbornly loyal to COD...yawn):(

Upvote 0
True Mr Hypnotoad, I guess I'm just wishing for a more expansive game instead of a series of individual maps but that's not going to happen probably with RO series and probably most people here dont want it too, though some might (judging by the wistful posts about WW2 online).

For those dismissive posters who would rather tell me not to buy it (nice pr drive guys) I still intend to buy, play and am trying to drum up suppport inside my clan (stubbornly loyal to COD...yawn):(

Have you heard of our online campaign?

Upvote 0
RO 2 is what RO was always ment to be. Just TWI didn't always have the money and manpower (not to mention a good game engine) to make a game that melts the face of COD. Actually, COD wasn't the synonym for rehashed game back. Anyone remembers what was the way too mainstream, hipster kitty inducing game back in '04?

what was the "mainstream" game before CoD? I forget. :p

Upvote 0
games didn't really become "mainstream" until recently. the first call of duty was relatively unknown. but as the industry grew, so did the need for a higher bottom line. so call of duty went from enjoyable medal of honor clone to a pastiche of every game cliche known to man(to appeal to you know who). and medal of honor went a similar route after pacific assault.

few franchises that took the road less traveled:
arma
red orchestra

even the venerable ghost recon, rainbow six, silent hunter and il2 series turned to trash in recent years. although oleg maddox's pulling il2 out of a nose dive with cliffs of dover.

sorry to say, but popularity/success isn't such a good thing when it comes to gaming, even when developers try to frame it as such to gain support.

games that receive near universal praise all have one thing in common, they never sold well during their release. niche titles do well enough, more than well enough, and we've got a problem.

Reactions: DraKon2k
Upvote 0
thing is, people want a game that they can pick up and play and learn quick and become good or half decent. Thats where the call of duty type action games come in, basically learn the spots on the map learn the weapons and then sprey and prey. Anyone can become good at a game such as call of duty within 2 weeks of playing and constantly dying over and over.

What worries me is that RO's realism might turn off the common FPS fan, because of the long distances and hard to see enemys, its not the same type of game where you run around a corner and 5 enemys are shooting at you making easy targets, in RO alot of people are prone and in real life combat situations hiding in cover etc. So say the average joe buys the game then keeps dying without landing a single kill over and over again not being able to spot the enemy, there is a reason those type's of action games are popular because the enemy comes right at you. RO is something to learn and once you do learn about team play a little it becomes a way better experience then those other action games. Problem is stated as above people might get turned off early unless there is a tutorial or tips and hints or advice somehow on how the game is played.

Otherwise this game will just again remain a small community game, which is fine by me but I do wish this game becomes popular and people pick it up and we could have big epic clan battles and not what we currently have.........DANZIG 24/7 servers. Like F's sake I want to play all the maps not custom 24/7 tank maps and not just danzig I want to play em all, so more people = more variety

Upvote 0
medal of honor 1 and 2 on the playstation were great

the original COD on PC was as well
Playstation and Xbox weren't around for the time period in question.

To me the mainstream FPS prior to CoD was MoH:AlliedAssault followed by the expansion MoH:Spearhead. SH was really pushing the limits of afforable PC's with some of its maps. MoH:Breakthrough died at release. I can't recall its release date, but CoD and iron sights hit the shelves around then. MoH was full of hacks and cheats and it just got too hard to implement the available tools.

Upvote 0

To me the mainstream FPS prior to CoD was MoH:AlliedAssault followed by the expansion MoH:Spearhead. SH was really pushing the limits of afforable PC's with some of its maps. MoH:Breakthrough died at release. I can't recall its release date, but CoD and iron sights hit the shelves around then. MoH was full of hacks and cheats and it just got too hard to implement the available tools.

? MoH debuted on the PS1.

I remember aiding the french resistance and feeding dogs frags.

Upvote 0

You forgot MOH Specific Assault..... I ment Pacific Assault. That even died before its release. Hardly played for sure.
At least I got it for free including two t-shirts from After-Hourz.
The shirts where of better quality then the game. I still have them real good quality. The plastic gamebox did use as icecrabber for my car windows during the winter.

Upvote 0
You forgot MOH Specific Assault..... I ment Pacific Assault. That even died before its release. Hardly played for sure.
At least I got it for free including two t-shirts from After-Hourz.
The shirts where of better quality then the game. I still have them real good quality. The plastic gamebox did use as icecrabber for my car windows during the winter.
Yeah, but Pacific Assault came out in 2004 iirc. CoD was out in 2003? I recall playing Pacific Assault (for about 3 minutes), but I don't recall buying it. Odd, 'cause being the pack rat that I am, I still have all the copies (boxes, CD's, manuals) of all the FPS's I've bought over the years.

How in the heck did you get AHz t-shirts? If they're from 2004, I'd put one away! Bound to be a collectable in the not too distant future (Rising Storm release);)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0