• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reasonable weapon/class upgrades

I am generally opposed to unlocks for weapons, while its a great idea to have the hero status and allowing them to have a special weapon there shouldnt be a lot of unlocks for the general player base.

The simple answer to this is because this game is going for realism, stick to weapons and gear that was in Stalingrad, and for the love of god do not add perks - youre playing as GENERAL INFANTRY, if you die then you're playing the next miserable bastard thats about to get shot or blown up in the next 2 minutes.

Upvote 0
all I can say is that if this game has a magic quick knife button. I am crying and not buying and quitting video games for good...:D

oh and dragon2k, as to what you said earlier. RO:OST 2 years after release was getting its last content patch and was going strong. only now ( 6 years ) after release is it down to a few servers of the faithfull.

IMO i dont want to see any optics or scopes for non sniper( marksmen ) classes.

Upgrades should be simple things which do not effect the abilites of that player, or possibly actually impinge the player and make the game harder. Never easier!

IE:
If there is a difference between spike / blade bayonet ( think SMLE ) a higher level player can get the blade bayonet, however both do exactly the same end effect.

When I think about it , one thing I really like about RO:eek:st was the feeling of being completely even with your team mates and enemies. Each armed with a weapon of untold destructive capabilities requiring only the skill to use that weapon effectively and in its proper fashion to succeed in battle. No bull****, just skill and the occasional bit of lag. I'd like to see the Hero level give players no more then a 5% reduction/gain in anything. Recoil, reload speed, movement speed, anything.

Upvote 0
IMO the way to implent upgrades is TF2 style, meaning every upgrade has it's advantages and disadvantages to the standard gear that balances it out. You can't just have something that doesn't change anything at all, nobody except a few historical buffs would care for that. I'd prefer upgrades that cater my role, but might give me disadvantages in other areas. For example the small K98 scope gives me a better overview over areas that are closer(then again this wouldn't really be needed since you can go down to ironsights, with the MN at least), but I might be inferior in a fight against a sniper who is far away and has a scope suited for longer ranges. That's what I'm talking about. Upgrades really should be something different with +/- factors that balance themselves out however and not just cosmetical stuff that should be handled mostly by the game itself anyways(with Heroes getting shinier weapons / more worn uniforms etc).

Upvote 0
I seriously hope that there will be nothing that changes the sway, reload speed or whatever. The game should act the same if "unlokcs/perks" are turned on or off. Having to play the game as rifle first time you play and then to unlock the ability to play as MG an semi-auto-rifle I like. What about not letting new people have grenades? :D that is something you HAVE to unlock by going through a good tutorial =).

Upvote 0
Please. No weapon tweaking. That just opens a pandoras box for more stupid sh*t.

I think I do know one AESTHETIC change that could be factored in for a more experienced trooper.

This would be the ability to extend the stock on the MP40.

I can't think of any other.

Clearly any modifications to reload time, damage, accuracy and any stupid addons like laser sights, scopes on mkb's and silencer are just plain not wanted by the community.

Upvote 0
Because it keeps people of the 21st century playing their videogames. Of course the game itself should offer enough to keep people playing(and I still have phases like twice a year where I play RO constantly for 2 weeks), but customization offers more variety, gives more motivation to keep playing and offers room for small DLC. And of course it should've give anyone huge advantages, but except for cosmetic stuff like maybe uniforms there definitely has to be a small charm to it, like the advanced K98 scopes.
I'm a young man, but I've seen enough levelups in my day.

I yearn for the shootems of olde, ye Quake and Unreal Tournament, when what kept you coming back for more was the lust for moar frags and ye kingly pwnage, the possibility for a knighthood with e-sports.

I literally have 866 hours logged http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972265328/games?tab=recent
for Ost Front.

Comparatively, the last competitive FPS I played with levelups in it, Call of Duty 4, I played for about 40 hours. They released WaW, Modern Rehash 2, and Black Ops, which I have yet to purchase or play. Consider that for a minute. I found a game I liked, and I logged over 800 hours into it. Then there are other games with cheap, gimmicky levelup mechanics that I've ignored wholesale.

I can only levelup to level 55 so many times before I puke. Then I simply avoid buying the new game. What's the point of buying a game just to unlock stuff all over again? I have COD4 and all of the guns are unlocked already.

But, I will grant you that modern audiences are easily amused and easily addicted, and levelups are apparently like catnip to fratboys and videogame reviewers, who have been lavishing praise and hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue in any shootemup franchise daring enough to copy-paste COD4's multi formula and reskin it for another period in history.

It's my contention that what really makes a game compelling is compelling gameplay. It's the real reason why people still play Starcraft and Warcraft 3, why people play RO:O and Quake and UT99 after all these years. The gameplay is still good. Why can't that be enough?

Upvote 0
Because it keeps people of the 21st century playing their videogames. Of course the game itself should offer enough to keep people playing(and I still have phases like twice a year where I play RO constantly for 2 weeks), but customization offers more variety, gives more motivation to keep playing and offers room for small DLC. And of course it should've give anyone huge advantages, but except for cosmetic stuff like maybe uniforms there definitely has to be a small charm to it, like the advanced K98 scopes.

I happen to be feeling really sick then I ust read this....

You sound like the President talking about giving incentives for small businesses or welfare or something like that, this is game and it is supposed to be fun, I shouldn't have to be "motivated" to play, it should already be fun.

Leveling systems are the worst thing to happen to shooters because it makes you feel like a badass when your not, I feel like a badass in Red Orchestra when I nail a guy with a Mauser from 500 yards away, clear out a trench with a PPsh, or take out a T34 with a Panzerfoust, not because I boosted for 8 hours....

The perks in CoD are gimmicks, it gives you extra power or faster reloads for no reason, and the majority of the guns are pretty much the same thing, I mean does it REALLY matter if I'm using an American M4 or a German equavlant G36?

No, Red Orchestra is supposed to be about historical realism, not to the point where your dying of typhus but to the point where the battles themselves are realistic.

Say for example the grain elevator, I know that most of the Russians who defended it were Marines, their commander was young, and they had 2 Maxim machine guns. I want to see that, I want to see their uniforms and appropriate level of "grizzledness", I want to see the platoon commander as a young officer, and I want to see two Maxim machine guns.

Red Orchestra is supposed to portray the Ostfront as realistically as possible while still keeping it a fun and challenging game, CoD and its ripoffs are about living out materialistic, macho fantasies.

Upvote 0
people people calm down a bit. As from anothe thread the original RO ost team was about 3-5 people on site, then KF was about 10, now ROHOS is over 30. I think its easy to see that TWI is growing, and during that growth so far has remained true to their roots.

So far everything I have heard on the level up system has seemed to indicate its basically there to keep new players from grabbing important things like commander/machinegunner/tanks etc. Not a whole hell of a lot more then that, and can I also remind you who asked for newbies not to be taking those spots? it was us...

Upvote 0
If you could stop misquoting me and acting like I was suggesting a CoD-esque leveling & upgrade system that would be nice, thank you.
For gods sake, how often do i have to repeat myself? I don't want CoD killstreaks, different weapon camo etc. and I never said so, so stop coming to wrong conclusions out of nowhere.

The examples you gave when you feel like a badass are exactly the things that should be rewarded. If I manage to snipe 5 squad leaders or 20 enemies with headshots without dying, then why not reward that and offer me an alternative scope for example? The RO:Ost achievements already went into that direction.

If you're a badass tank hunter and took down 5 T34s all by yourself, why not for example get a Panzerfaust 60 instead of a Panzerfaust 30(just an example, of course it must remain historically accurate in terms of availability at the time) or some other alternative(which should be equally balanced but offer pro/contra).

I'm not saying RO is or should be a "niche" game, but more popularity = more stupid people.
And stop it with the clich

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The examples you gave when you feel like a badass are exactly the things that should be rewarded. If I manage to snipe 5 squad leaders or 20 enemies with headshots without dying, then why not reward that and offer me an alternative scope for example? The RO:Ost achievements already went into that direction.

No, they should not be "rewarded." If you reward someone for killing half the enemy team in a spawn cycle, you give him, what? A better gun, better stats, an attachment? I mean, granted, we're talking about muted upgrades here, but upgrades all the same. It doesn't change the principle that you're giving the advantage, the advantage at least of selection, to the guy that just facerolled half your team. If anything, from a gameplay perspective, the "Heros" should get a handicap.

Achievements are cosmetic.
If you're a badass tank hunter and took down 5 T34s all by yourself, why not for example get a Panzerfaust 60 instead of a Panzerfaust 30(just an example, of course it must remain historically accurate in terms of availability at the time) or some other alternative(which should be equally balanced but offer pro/contra).
Unfortunately, P60 versus P30 is not a good example, because the P60 simply had better range due to having improved velocity. Incidentally, there will be no Panzerfausts in Stalingrad, and particularly not Panzerfaust 60s.

If you want to talk about game mechanics that make sense, there is only one that makes sense. The only distinguishing feature is your player skill. If you're some badass that took down 5 T34s all by yourself, simply do it again. You don't need a special weapon to do it, obv.

I guarantee you a player from a top ranked ladder team or a dude who put 500 hours into Ost Front doesn't need some special magic stick to beat some nub who used to play COD (LOLS COD).

And stop it with the clich

Upvote 0
The thing you seem to be forgetting is that this is not History Channel WW2: The Simulation and that we're not living in 1998. Yes, those who spend a lot of time on the game should be rewarded with the advantage of choice. This has been a game mechanic for years and I'm happy that TWI adapts it in a realistic and not-overthetop way.

All of what you write is based on a false "OMG ITS GONNA BE LIKE COD" attitude. As long as you don't get over it and realize that it's completely different there's no point of arguing if all you do is spray hatred against any modern gaming trend.

Upvote 0
The thing you seem to be forgetting is that this is not History Channel WW2: The Simulation and that we're not living in 1998. Yes, those who spend a lot of time on the game should be rewarded with the advantage of choice. This has been a game mechanic for years and I'm happy that TWI adapts it in a realistic and not-overthetop way.

People who pay you money in order to play your game should be rewarded with the advantage of choice.

You are not entitled to any rewards for playing the game for a long time. I played Ost because I liked it. I would not trade that experience for anything.

If there had been levelups in Ost I probably would have played it for 60 hours and uninstalled.

If you don't enjoy the gameplay, stop playing.

BTW, regarding realism...

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/str...vert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;read-review

That's a game from the "History Channel." Note the subtext...."history buffs need not apply." Not a realistic game on par with Red Orchestra. Red Orchestra is one of the most realistic games on the market. The people who play Red Orchestra cherish that realism. The people who develop Red Orchestra spend meticulous hours implementing realistic ballistic properties for all the projectiles and implementing realistic mechanics like bipod deployment, bullet penetration, bleedouts, bandages, internal ballistics models for players AND tanks, including component damage and individual crew deaths within tanks, component tank control, et cetera. Don't sit here and tell me that RO is not realistic. It's practically the subtitle.

Take that gamey **** over to the Modern Warfare forums.

All of what you write is based on a false "OMG ITS GONNA BE LIKE COD" attitude. As long as you don't get over it and realize that it's completely different there's no point of arguing if all you do is spray hatred against any modern gaming trend.
No it's not.

I made a significant number of points on the topic that you have not addressed. Instead, you gave me a sweeping strawman and tried to marginalize me. Address my arguments. If you don't want to argue, dont post.

In particular those on the effects on gameplay.

Last edited:
Upvote 0