• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dirt, Shrapenel, Foliage e.t.c splattered across players screen?

Considering that your eyes are not camera lenses, it doesn't really work in the way most games portray it.

I'd be in favor of it from really close explosions or bullet impacts, but I think there'd need to be a lot of blurring and blinking, as having dirt in your eyes tends to make them water a lot.

As far as I've been told, and in just about every fps game ever. You're POV is supposed to be as close to the eyes as possible.

I don't mind the sort of cheesy effects, as long as they are very minimal.

Upvote 0
Assuming there is seperate effect for suppresion by debris, I think it could look something like this:

RO_eyesdirt.gif

Upvote 0
Actually blinking is very promising idea, if you think about it. Implementing it in sort of the way Walter there did it would be an unique feature. I doubt that in any game there has been blinking feature before. It would add immersion and realism, allthough ofcourse there would be a risk of it turning to be very irritating in the end. But worth considering, I think.

Upvote 0
Well ofcourse it dosent but I honestly cant see the developers implementing a hand animation to wipe away the dirt/ adding a blinking animation just for this purpose.

They woulden't have to, from your own 1'st person perspective, you won't see what your 3'rd person model is doing, so all they have to do for blinking is apply some basic filters to the screen to create the effect, no need for animation work there.

And people around you who can see your 3'rd person model, won't know that you got something in your eye, because they can't see your 1'st person view, so it doesen't really matter if they see a blink anim or not.

Sure it would be a nice feature if they did animate it, but hardly worth the time to make, time that could be used to make so much else, a 1'st person view filter would be plenty.

EDIT:
Blinking? Really?

Ohh don't be like that, this isen't rivet counting, just a little touch that could add some immersion, i think it would be neat if getting a face full of dust/dirt/whatever actually had some kind of effect on you, like blinking, it would make you feel more connected with the world, and it would be easy enough to do, no harder than making thouse silly "blood on the lens" effects every other game has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Great effect there Walter, you should make a sepeate thread with your idea.

Maybe with the blinking, looking at direct sunlight for instance you would be in a state of a half-blink getting less and less as you move you FoV away from the blinding light.

I think the blinking would be great for artillery impacts as well as surpression, id like to see some stare right at an mg42 in full swing and not squint/close ones eyes - this way youll never get people just stand there and with pin-point accuracy rifle-bolt an mggunner who is supressing you.

BEST IDEA

BLINKING
HELMET RAIN AMBIENCE
BETTER PERSCEPTION OF THE DIRECTION OF SOUND

Added idea - better simulation of 3D/Stereo sound - i.e someone shouts a command on your left out in the open the left speaker is dominant, someone shouts 10 foot in front of you - the sound is more channeled to the centre - sound comes from behind sound is muted but channeled with the front speakers. Personally maybe a stereo 2 channel speaker set could act more like 2 ears rather than 2 generally placed microphones on the left and right.

Sturm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope. Makes 0 sense. If you get something in your eye, you blink. It's no longer there.

EDIT: Although, actually, you could have the guy blink real quick or something when an explosion happens and he's just outside its blast radius, or when bullets are kicking up dirt around him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another vote for no screen splatters and no blinking.

Screen splatters just don't look real and while blinking is realistic, it's not completely out of your control as it would be in this game. If you are lining up a shot and a piece of dirt flies in your eye you are not going to automatically blink. You will take the shot, perhaps teary eyed but then blink. I think the concussion blur effect is good enough.

Now if when something go in your eye the screen slowly starts to get more and more blurry and then you push "b" to blink that'd be more realistic, but no fun.

Upvote 0
Game implementation aside, I dare anyone to shoot while having dirt thrown in their eyes. I'm pretty sure blinking is automatic reaction to something touching your eye.

seconded. Having an explosion go off nearby and having dirt thrown in your eyes will trigger an involuntary reaction as your body tries getting rid of the dirt in your eyes. Maybe it could be theoretically possible to not blink with dirt in your eyes if you really tried, but after an explosion, your not going to just shake it off instantly like its nothing (like in action movies)

Also, if you somehow managed, by some huge amount of discipline and focus, not to blink, your eyes would be teary and blurred, which would still mess up your vision (perhaps worse than blinking).

So blinking would be realistic. As for it's necessity and usefullness, I will leave that to rest of y'all:D

Upvote 0
Humans are blinking like 10000 times a day.

How often do you "SEE" that happening?

There's a difference between normal blinking, which you do constantly throughout the day and probably never notice, and getting something in your eye.. now that you definately will notice, because it hurts, can distort your vision, and usually takes a couple of blinks to go away.

Apples and Oranges there, same bodily function, not quite the same situation though.

I seriously doub't anyone wants to see normal blinking added to the game, atleast in the first person view, that would just be really annoying, it's the "getting stuffs in your face" blinking that might add something to the immersion.

Upvote 0