• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MP-40, Pps-43 Stock

Kit

Oct 5, 2009
Something that I have found quite alarming in the most current build (that I have seen) for HOS is the lack of the extended stock on the MP-40. In the videos, which can easily be viewed on you tube, the player is running around the map performing the tasks that exemplify some of the new features in the game. Yet what is incredibly alarming to me is that the stock has been placed in the collapsed position.

I realize that since the stock was able to be collapsed as such, it was most likely used in this configuration during combat. I am also sure that there are those that might find the new configuration interesting and fresh. My concern is that when firing a gun with no stock, there is a greatly reduced amount of accuracy. I of course know that the 9mm round is not that treacherous as far as recoil is concerned, but in these videos, the player is talking about "holding your breath to achieve a more realistic effect of what a real soldier would do in combat".

I have an ak with an under folder stock. In a tactical situation, where I was concerned even at the least with some amount of accuracy, you better believe I would flip that thing out and place it against my shoudler. I know that ergonomically both weapon platforms are different, but the basic concept does not change.

This is all relatively specific. I really just like the way the mp 40 looks when its stock is unfolded. I appreciate the function of having the stock collapsed or unfolded.

Is there no way to include this into the game? Is there no interest in producing some function that allows a player to deploy the stock or not? Effects of either choice I am not interested in so much, I only wish to seek a clear answer and maybe some thought into the idea. I am not a game designer, and I have little right to make demands, none of which I am making now. I appreciate in great ferver the work that Tripwire has done. The mere fact that a single player GERMAN campaign will be made blows my mind.

Any other thoughts from the community? I am more than willing to hear everyone elses opinion.

The stocks should be left open. That is how they are intended to be used. If they are not used, then the gun would not have a stock in the first place.

You fold them when transporting and storing, or when not in combat. Since we are in combat, they should be open.

Sure, you might get ambushed in a vehicle and need to return fire, and if you have an MP-40, keeping the stock closed will make it easier to use in the vehicle. But are vehicle drivers in this game be able to shoot while driving? It doubt it, as it would be very clumsy in a game.

It would be nice if there was an option to open or close it (but when you spawn, it should be opened by default). If not, they should be left open.

Upvote 0
The stocks should be left open. That is how they are intended to be used. If they are not used, then the gun would not have a stock in the first place.

You fold them when transporting and storing, or when not in combat. Since we are in combat, they should be open.

Sure, you might get ambushed in a vehicle and need to return fire, and if you have an MP-40, keeping the stock closed will make it easier to use in the vehicle. But are vehicle drivers in this game be able to shoot while driving? It doubt it, as it would be very clumsy in a game.

It would be nice if there was an option to open or close it (but when you spawn, it should be opened by default). If not, they should be left open.

I completely agree.

Upvote 0
I don't see why the "fix bayonet, mount MG" button can't be the same button used to open and close collapsible stocks.

I completely agree. I don't understand the thought process of changing this from the original game. Evidently it was important enough to not include in the original. Now the idea is to take away the stock... And this is supposed to be a game emphasizing realism and accuracy. I would invite the developers to go fire an mp-40, a fully automatic weapon, without the stock, using there "hold your breath to be more accurate" idea. The simple fact is that it is just not realistic. I would love to see someone official come and explain the change in the weapon.

Also, I would like to know if the Pps-43 is going to have its stock folded in as well.

Upvote 0
Also, I would like to know if the Pps-43 is going to have its stock folded in as well.

There were no PPS-43:s in Stalingrad. Production of PPS-43 started, as the numbers reveal, in 1943. If there were any PPS-42:s in Stalingrad, I dont know. Most probably there were some, but the production numbers in 1942 were low.

And to the subject. I

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I completely agree. I don't understand the thought process of changing this from the original game. Evidently it was important enough to not include in the original. Now the idea is to take away the stock... And this is supposed to be a game emphasizing realism and accuracy. I would invite the developers to go fire an mp-40, a fully automatic weapon, without the stock, using there "hold your breath to be more accurate" idea. The simple fact is that it is just not realistic. I would love to see someone official come and explain the change in the weapon.

You have no proof that stocks are at all time folded, most likely if they can be folded you can unfold them. Heck its an early alpha with loads of placeholders, for the same amount of possibility they just played with the unfolded stock where the model simply wasnt unfolded.

Upvote 0
You're not always extending your stock in combat. The stock gets the MP40 a plus length of 20cm, this is in house-to-house fighting a quite annoying thing.
Also you can't melee attack with the extended stock, it's simply to weak.
I yet showed this video in another thread but here once more.
Hopefully TWI will take this animation into the game. :)

And concerning the PPS 43, as the same yet states there is no 43 in Stalingrad but a PPS 42 might be there. The PPS 42 was designed during early 1942 and was tested successfully in spring 1942. This makes it possible to be in Stalingrad. (At least this is what I read for myself from the wikipedia article PPS 42/43)
And about the melee attacking with the PPS, as the charging handle is on the other side than the MP40 it might not be such a good idea to use this side to change the appearance of the enemy's face. Here you might really have to use the very rear side of the smg to punch into the enemy.

Upvote 0
First of all I had never claimed that they were always unfolded. If you read my first post, you would have seen me admit to this, please, before you run off and start posting , take the time to know what the discussion is about.

You were talking about a possible issue with the stock being folded, and asking if there is no way to have the option to maybe unfold it. What i say the stock might as well be folded and just show up as an unfolded stock.

All i said was that the game is in alpha stage, so you cant say anything about the weapon having or not having an unfolded stock. Its the same as the comments on the looks of a lot of things or animations. If anything pretty much what is said is the only thing you can be sure of, the rest can be prone to change.

The video is filled with things that can be called placeholders like the roost hud.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You're not always extending your stock in combat. The stock gets the MP40 a plus length of 20cm, this is in house-to-house fighting a quite annoying thing.
Also you can't melee attack with the extended stock, it's simply to weak.
I yet showed this video in another thread but here once more.
Hopefully TWI will take this animation into the game. :)

And concerning the PPS 43, as the same yet states there is no 43 in Stalingrad but a PPS 42 might be there. The PPS 42 was designed during early 1942 and was tested successfully in spring 1942. This makes it possible to be in Stalingrad. (At least this is what I read for myself from the wikipedia article PPS 42/43)
And about the melee attacking with the PPS, as the charging handle is on the other side than the MP40 it might not be such a good idea to use this side to change the appearance of the enemy's face. Here you might really have to use the very rear side of the smg to punch into the enemy.
I understand that this is house to house fighting, But lets be clear. Assumptions I am not interested in. The stock being folded out does make the gun longer, but for crying out loud, they had k 98's in stalin grad. They had all manner of weapon that was longer than the mp40 uncollapsed. I recently served in the military and I can say from a little bit of experience, that having your weapon as short as possible is not as important as all the armchair strategist believe. As I said before I am sure that both instances opccured. Both Folded and unfolded. I am here to argue my point of view, which is that I would like to see them unfolded, or even better, have the option of allowing them to be folded or not.
You were talking about a possible issue with the stock being folded, and asking if there is no way to have the option to maybe unfold it. What i say the stock might as well be folded and just show up as an unfolded stock.

All i said was that the game is in alpha stage, so you cant say anything about the weapon having or not having an unfolded stock. Its the same as the comments on the looks of a lot of things or animations. If anything pretty much what is said is the only thing you can be sure of, the rest can be prone to change.

The video is filled with things that can be called placeholders like the roost hud.
I understand the game is in the alpha stage, but this is an ideas and suggestion sub-forum, If everyone waited till the beta we would have more to complain about than can be fixed. it is mucht better to voice your opinion earlier than wait till some arbirtray date. It is possible that maybe if enough support is given early enough in development, than a change will occur.

But who knows, I have not played the game, sadly. It is completely possible that Tripwire already has a solution in game, like the ability to unflod it or fold it in game. If this is the case, than I aplogize.

Upvote 0
Also, as brought up, people should note that when you fold the stock, it still sticks out just as far. Aside from video games and movies, properly trained soldiers do not run around with the stocks folded, or hold SMGs with one hand, or blind fire over cover (well, they do this very rarely).

That is unless you press it against your shoulder, in which case you might as well be using the stock.

As mentioned, it already is far shorter than a K98K.

The option to have it folded and open would be great. But, if they can only do it one way or the other, keep it open for realism and authenticity.

Upvote 0