• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For the love of God remove the melee scream

Sheps

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2011
Countless times I've caught an enemy off guard and rather than trying to awkwardly shoot them with my rifle at close quarters I've gone for the bayonet.

Problem is as I charge toward my would be victim, for some reason unbeknownst to me, my soldier decides to scream his heart out as if to alert his victim and every other enemy within a 10 mile radius. Needless to say the victim turns around and shoots me 5-10 times in the stomach.

Melee is supposed to be for quiet kills, if I wanted everyone to know I was there I would have ran up on them with a cooked grenade.

Melee is supposed to be for quiet kills, if I wanted everyone to know I was there I would have ran up on them with a cooked grenade.

If you're special forces, sure.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be for a regular "I don't want to die" soldier to silently sneak around a close combat zone and stab people in such a way that neither of you make a sound?

Pretty hard. That's how hard.

Upvote 0
Sprint + meleebutton is for a charge attack - you'll make a lot of noise by just running and they'll hear you anyway. Unless they're deaf.

If you want to stealthkill just walk to them or crouch-walk to them. Or sprint and press melee button just right before you're upon them. Don't press it when you're 15 meters away, press it when you're 2 meters away. They won't have time to turn generally.

Reactions: Makino and I. Kant
Upvote 0
Countless times I've caught an enemy off guard and rather than trying to awkwardly shoot them with my rifle at close quarters I've gone for the bayonet.

Problem is as I charge toward my would be victim, for some reason unbeknownst to me, my soldier decides to scream his heart out as if to alert his victim and every other enemy within a 10 mile radius. Needless to say the victim turns around and shoots me 5-10 times in the stomach.

I like the scream from melee charge, is most intimidating than a single hit. Thes charge is not a stealth maneuver, is a desperate act. If you dont want make noise, sneak quietly and stab him in the back. Probably without the warcry this bescome overpowered.

But its rea

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah I think it's fine. This isn't Metal Gear: Ostfront.

From everything I've studied, an ordinary person having to kill someone up close and personal is a far more harrowing affair than shooting them from a distance (especially in the extreme of pilots deluding themselves into not thinking any crew were aboard the enemy bomber they shot down, etc).

Upvote 0
I've personally have heard the scream just by holding my melee down and not sprinting. Must have been a bug.

I think it hilarious to hear that scream as they charge. Hearing it has saved me multiple times. Although it is kinda dumb. I could understand the screaming if you charged up with multiple people, or after you jab a guy, but alone and during doesn't make much sense. However, the fact that we can't knock away thrusts doesn't make sense either.

Eh.

Upvote 0
If you're special forces, sure.

Do you have any idea how hard it would be for a regular "I don't want to die" soldier to silently sneak around a close combat zone and stab people in such a way that neither of you make a sound?

Pretty hard. That's how hard.

So its totally plausible if he uses a gun but not if he uses a bayonette ?

Cool

Upvote 0
The most amazing final kill I ever saw was a German rifleman running with a fully charged bayonet and plunging it into the back of the last Soviet survivor, all the while going 'WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!'. He hit him so hard the ragdoll Russian almost flew out the window.

The game can not understand our intentions all the time so the safe bet is that when we're raising the bayonet it is for a mad charge more often than not. "Silent kills" are pure fiction, melee action in RO2 is the closest thing to simulating a desperate brawl for survival, nevermind it being a very clumsy looking simulation confined within a first person shooter framework.

Upvote 0
All of the canned voices should be removed. Not only do they give you away, but theya re also highly repetitive. For me, they were memorized, boring, and annoying after only about 20 hours play.

Also, if my avatar is a battle-hardened veteran, why is he screaming and crying like a recruit? Juvenile feature is the thought that comes to mind when it happens in game.

More resources should have been put into allowing players to create their own battlefield chatter. Allowing players to speak instead of automated voices would do a few things:

1. No battle would ever be the same re: the chat you hear.
2. Better teams would communicate better. This is a huge wargame balance issue.
3. Instead of juvenile hollering, the battlefield would present a much more mature setting.

There are more, but the point isn't worth elaborating on, as it will most likely fall on deaf ears. Ironic.

Upvote 0
A lot of replies from people that clearly haven't done a lot of melee.

When you're armed with just a rifle and a dude with a PPSH walks into the room, you want to take him out ASAP, the last thing you want is to be forced to do a slow walk up to him and hope he :

1) Stays still
2) Doesn't turn around

Fact is that soldiers know how to compose themselves. Some may scream, some may not. I want the option to not scream like a damn banshee.

Reactions: DasFist
Upvote 0