• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

News from the Crosshairs interview

-Planned feature: entry and exit wounds, depending on caliber of round.
-Scoreboard (not final yet) -- shows kills, team-play points, and total score.
-Grenades, holding down the fire key will throw the grenade further.

Nade Spam: Ramm's philosophy is not to touch on this too much, but seems to be greatly reduced due to the improved mechanics of the game. With much more accurate and realistic weapon handling, people don't resort as much to grenades.

The suppression system sounds incredible! Ramm had a little anecdote from their play-through that really got me excited: Armed with a G41, Ramm was able to suppress a barely visible sniper at 150m who was harrassing Ramm's minions from a window. Even though the sniper was most likely safe from Ramm's fire, the suppression worked to the effect of scaring off the sniper to move to a different window, where naturally he was more exposed to Ramm and was consequently pwned from. Feeling suppression effects from a semi-auto rifle???!!! :eek::):D.

Also the campaign sounds absolutely incredible and perfect for LANs.

Teamplay seems much more naturally encouraged in ROHOS. Some examples of this are spawning near teammates gets you into fight and with your buddies faster, suppression system: being near Hero/team leader, reduces this effect. Rank up character faster for doing team things. MG's get teamplay points for doing supporting roles and not necessarily needing to be in the cap (defending a cap from outside of it will still rack up teamplay points)

Release date: Ramm: "Nothing to announce"

Sam: Tripwire "really delivered on the cutting edge eye-candy" :):):)

Many of the sounds are still placeholder sounds, melee isn't implemented, death-animation system are all not complete yet, which points towards the first stages of closed beta in at least a few months (I have no problem with this!). However, with the consuming of many donuts, Tripwire now has enough sugar in their systems to finish, beta test, and release the game by next Tuesday.

And with that, great cast Sam!

Reactions: doomis
Upvote 0
It's not a matter of using it in a "good" game, i simply dislike it for what it is whenever i try it.

So in which mod/game you have used it and how many hours of trying it made you to come this conclusion?

What exactly did you dislike in it? No offense, but now it sounds that you haven't even tried it cos you don't provide reasoning and just plain call it useless and non-immersive.

Could some mod move this conversation perhaps to here:
[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49446[/URL]

Upvote 0
Having squad,vehicle and team based voips == more than enough.

Recording a bunch of preset audio shout-outs that people have to tactfully thumb through when they want to convey information to nearby people is also a waste of resources.

Local 3d voice should probably be default, and then the squad/vehicle/global voice options on top. On top of everything else that needs to be done, this would require a meager ammount of effort at most. If a 14/7 school devoted coder for a niche mod can program in an excellent 3d voice system on a whim, I'm sure a salary-paid full time coder for TW could do it in a very short amount of time. It's not an issue of resources.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Has the podcast been recorded and uploaded yet?
Yes.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/12482966

Do note, the sound gets corrupted midpoint, and Sam eventually cans the video of the stream to attempt a remedy. There is no audio for several minutes subsequent, and it then picks up with only audio.

It appears the media file itself might be corrupted - a couple of players I tried hang shortly after the resumption of the audio.

I have recovered all of the available audio including the remainder after the hang, and I'm trying to clean up the distorted parts. I'll leave it to Sam as to what he wants to do with it.

As to the 3D voip - I'd much rather resources were spent on somlething like it vs in-play MP music: until I see a picture of a Stalingrad soldier with an Ipod and earbuds, MP music seems a serious waste of resources for a realism centric MP game, IMHO. As the poll shows, most plan to turn it off. Some good ideas above on how it could be done whilst still having 'all squad' or 'all team' talk. The idea of hearing enemy forces yelling, or feeling the need to whisper to your sniping spotter...that's real.

I'd like to thank Lemon, Zets and Bobdogx from the community for participating, John and Alan, special nod to yoshiro and William for hanging out long after the end of the show for a most interesting discussion, and of course Sam and the Crosshairs regulars for an interesting show.

Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As far as I know, not all PPSHs had the ability to fire semi or full auto. So, if that's true, it would make sense to have it as an option that becomes unlockable.

If, however, I'm wrong and ALL PPSHs did in fact have the ability to fire both single and auto, then I disagree with it as an unlockable weapon ability. If the gun had both options it should be available right from the get go.

There where models of the PPSh that did not include the fire selector, there was also a rare model that could not accept drum mags.

However, i'm quite certain thease models only came into existance in late 1944, as a result of demand for the weapon skyrocketing, since they where arming whole regiments with the papasha at that time.

-------------------

Anyway, great cast guys, it was a joy to watch, lots of new info given :)

Upvote 0
I couldn't watch the whole interview (the interviewer was very painful to listen to) and it sounds superb. I hope it comes out before BF3 will inevitably absorb me completely :rolleyes:

Though unlocking things like "single fire" seems very ridiculous. We might as well unlock the prone position :)

u mad bro?

After around 20 minutes of listening to Sam talking about everything except the game he played, we ( around 12 of us ) gave up and went out for a meal, so you weren't the only one.

Some interesting points were obviously talked about later on but none so far have been worth listening to any more of that guy I'm afraid. The game is sounding great though, and most of us here are really looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
After around 20 minutes of listening to Sam talking about everything except the game he played, we ( around 12 of us ) gave up and went out for a meal, so you weren't the only one.

Some interesting points were obviously talked about later on but none so far have been worth listening to any more of that guy I'm afraid. The game is sounding great though, and most of us here are really looking forward to it!
Well, feel free try to do something like that, let's see how many people would trash you. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
..... <snip>
We'll have vehicle chat, team chat and public chat and it works in RO1.

It works quite well. While I can understand the desire for 3D VOIP.... it can prove to be cumbersome, if not limiting, in a full server. Kinda like CB Radio with "sounds" coming in from all sorts of directions becoming jumbled and useless.

The VOIP in RO is more than sufficient. In fact, its satisfactory.

Reactions: Placebo Cyanide
Upvote 0
I really hope that it will be easy to play 4+ people together in the same squad, and that people in generally will stay rather close to their squad making communication about local stuff valuable.

If it will be too much trouble to use in-game voice with friends in public, we WILL use mumble. So to motivate not having 3D voice, there has to be a system that enables friends to get in the same squad easily =).

Anyway, not much more to say on that topic. We who have played RnL know why we like 3D local voice, and I bet we all hope that there will be a mod for RO2 that features that.

Everything else sounds stellar, ty everyone involved for putting this together =).

--

The VOIP in RO1 is not good imho. So, so, so, so many players disable it because it is (let's be honest) most times utterly useless. The text chat is enough to pass 10% of the information that is actually valuable to some degree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you guys for the show!

There where models of the PPSh that did not include the fire selector [...]
However, i'm quite certain thease models only came into existance in late 1944, as a result of demand for the weapon skyrocketing, since they where arming whole regiments with the papasha at that time.

You are partially correct, since the PPSh-41 with the fire selector was the model of the first production runs. It also had adjustable rear sight. But these features were cut down very early to stremline the production and make it faster. This happened very fast after the production started, already somewhere in late 1941 IIRC.

So basically the ability to select single shot/full-auto just means that the soldier will be using the rare early model of the PPSh-41.

Upvote 0
You are partially correct, since the PPSh-41 with the fire selector was the model of the first production runs. It also had adjustable rear sight. But these features were cut down very early to stremline the production and make it faster. This happened very fast after the production started, already somewhere in late 1941 IIRC.

So basically the ability to select single shot/full-auto just means that the soldier will be using the rare early model of the PPSh-41.

Sorry but that's not correct, the PPSh-41 Type-1 was indeed the version with fully adjustable sight, it's easilly recognized because it's rear sight looks like the one on the Mosin Nagnat, it looks very different from later models with the flip type sight.

That sight was removed on Type-2 of the weapon, and replaced with the easier made flip type sight (along with some other minor changes to the stamping process to make it go faster), and yes, that happened very early, circa late 1941, but the fire selector was not removed on the Type-2, which was the most mass produced model of the PPSh.
It is easilly recognized by having the flip type rear sight, and the fire selector infront of the trigger.

Type-3 came much later, late 1944, and that one removed the fire selector, and can be recognized by not having the fire selector at all, only the trigger is inside the trigger-guard, some where even build without the safety (the safety is located on the cocking handle).

Type-4 was a Type-3 that could not accept drum mags, the magwell was not cut out, instead there was a cage around the magwell that prevented drums from beeing inserted, and it is easilly recognized by that feature.

Upvote 0
Speaking of rare models I own (deac) PPSh Type 2 in which the stamps read 1951, and there's no signs that it has been restamped or anything. :p

Aye, they where still building them post-war, many of them for Soviet allies, and they reverted to the Type-2 design (rapid manufacturing was not as important, so there was no reason to leave out the selector).

Upvote 0
So in which mod/game you have used it and how many hours of trying it made you to come this conclusion?

What exactly did you dislike in it? No offense, but now it sounds that you haven't even tried it cos you don't provide reasoning and just plain call it useless and non-immersive.

Could some mod move this conversation perhaps to here:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49446

Look, I don't claim to be an expert on 3d voip or have tried many different games i've mainly played with it in project reality, but you don't have to belive me if you don't want to. I simply don't think it adds anything but barriers, this is something for the mod community.
Recording a bunch of preset audio shout-outs that people have to tactfully thumb through when they want to convey information to nearby people is also a waste of resources.

Local 3d voice should probably be default, and then the squad/vehicle/global voice options on top. On top of everything else that needs to be done, this would require a meager ammount of effort at most. If a 14/7 school devoted coder for a niche mod can program in an excellent 3d voice system on a whim, I'm sure a salary-paid full time coder for TW could do it in a very short amount of time. It's not an issue of resources.

Duh, the pre-defined voip commands are excellent for folks without a microphone, i can't count how many times in fast public games i've just not had the energy to engage in talks etc with random people. Then having the ability to shout for ammo and directions is a good idea, this has been proven by the first game and even more so in Darkest Hour.

The folks using/care about 3d voip are far outnumbered by the folks using in-game predefined functions such as "Enemy tank spotted" or "I need ammo/reload" which is more relevant.. not to mention all the folks which wouldn't even realize how 3d voip works.

It works quite well. While I can understand the desire for 3D VOIP.... it can prove to be cumbersome, if not limiting, in a full server. Kinda like CB Radio with "sounds" coming in from all sorts of directions becoming jumbled and useless.

The VOIP in RO is more than sufficient. In fact, its satisfactory.

Certainly agree :)
Last but not least folks show some appreciation for the cast, Sam and TWI are just such an awesome bunch of guys, maybe some of you don't even realize how rare of a jewel within the PC industry you've actually got here.

As for the 3d voip discussion I agree move it somewhere else, I am done discussing it here.

Last edited:
Reactions: OneDuck
Upvote 0
Guys, this is simply ridiculous.

Sam, the crew and TWI invested their heart into the latest cast, they invested a LOT of work, TWI released new information, a whole boatload, they pretty much invested two days JUST FOR US! And yet I've only seen a handful of people actually say thank you or acknowledge the time they invested.

And all you guys do is ***** and whine about unimportant crap.

U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.E.A.B.L.E

Go f*ck yourselves.

You're quite right. The IRC chat was quite painful to watch, not just because it went so fast but also because some people kept demanding stuff and even thrash on Sam for "talking too much". Excuse me? He is the host of the show and we should be thankful for the great things that he does. He showed genuine enthusiasm, what's wrong with that? Why is it that every time an 'outsider' (though I wouldn't call Sam an outsider anymore) goes on camera to talk about RO and show enthusiasm about the game, some TWI forum members thrash that person? Same thing happened with Markee Dragon.

They don't HAVE to do this you know. Some of you should be a bit more thankful for these things you get for free.

Anyway, it was a gread podcast. :)

Upvote 0