• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Fallout: New Vegas

Yeah, if you are shooting at long range you can hit targets easily with enough patience. In VATS, it will give you very low percentages even if you have high gun skills. Makes you think...what's the point?

There are several Perks you can take that greatly improves your hit percentages in VATS, and that's obviously how they intended it to be used.

On the PC however, there is no good reason to use VATS at all (well with one exception, it's usefull for shooting Mirelurks that are under water), let alone waste any Perks on the bloody thing, because it's both much easier and more fun to shoot the old fashioned way.

But i have also tried playing Fo3 on a PS3, and on the Consoles it's a different matter entirely, as the game features no conventional auto-targeting systems, and wont slow the aiming when pointing at enemies or anything like that, so there, VATS basically becomes the auto-target system, and if you are as useless with a thumbstick as i am, then you will be using it constantly, and thouse VATS Perks suddenly become mighty tempting!

I'd say that's what it's for, it's the game's Auto-aim for the Console builds, where it does seem to come into it's own right, but it's a pretty useless feature on the PC, where it's best ignored (for all but submerged enemies anyway).

Upvote 0
VAT's was hugely powerful in FO3, but it was toned down massively in new vegas. With the grim reaper perk in FO3, you were pretty much a god. And I'm sure the damage resistance in VAT's has been turned down a notch also.

That said, it's still very handy in places. When you're getting hammered by multiple guys at close range, it can really give you some time to think ;)

Upvote 0
It was pretty amusing coming across the First Recon at Camp McCarran with Boone as my companion. "I wish I had a First Recon guy looking after me." They could have at least made some different responses from the rest of the NCR troops, but that seems to be a staple of all the Gamebryo games. New Vegas is still pretty enjoyable so far despite the quirky things I've seen.

Upvote 0
Yeah speaking of quirky, anyone tried that mission when Kimball visits the Hoover Dam?

That quest is just a joke.

the fact i expected some kind of commandos style mission with some kind of a clever assassination and it turned out to be just standing 4 meters away with a gun and then fast travelling away?
or did you refer to something else?

Upvote 0
Made a second char, this one specializes in sniping, using VATS when they get close. I thought my first guy was OP with heavy handed + super sledge, but the sniper rifle with its insane crit multiplier makes the most difficult enemies a joke, since I basically did everything that can be done to max my crit chance and AP.

It's a hell of a lot more fun with mods too, the 19th & 20th century weapons injection is awesome but it's just a straight port from FO3 so the ironsights don't work properly and it's not at all balanced (5.56 rifles can't penetrate radscorpion DT, 12.7mm rifles are twice as powerful as the AMR). Still, there's something to be said for roaming the wastes with a K98k on your back. Raul with Remnants power armor and Ma Deuce can basically win the game for you if you feed him enough ammo.

And of course, if you're playing as a girl, you need to get better models. Bethesda female models look like men in drag.

Upvote 0
the fact i expected some kind of commandos style mission with some kind of a clever assassination and it turned out to be just standing 4 meters away with a gun and then fast travelling away?
or did you refer to something else?

Well I haven't done the Legion version of that mission yet, just the NCR version. First time I did it, the president's head exploded, and all the people in the crowd ran away, but the rangers right next and behind the president just sat there. An NCR ranger gets snuck up on on a tower and thrown off it and nobody notices. And then someone in the crowd, a Legion plant, is able to one hit a fully armored NCR ranger with a stupid little machete. The way you experienced it is quirky as well. Did anyone come after you? You were able to kill him and immediately fast travel away?

Upvote 0
I am thinking of picking this up now.

It seems like some patches have come out, so I was wondering if the game is now playable? And what is the latest version called?

And what kind of copy protection does the DVD version use? Does it require a disc?

You might get unlucky, but frankly it seems as bug free as fallout 3. That is to say, filled with many glitches, but unlikely to ruin the experience. And the game uses steam for copy protection, you have to activate it via that. And then you don't need the disc.

Frankly I hate it when single player games require you to use steam, but there isn't much of a choice if you wish to play it :(

Upvote 0
Some things that might help (because they did in Fo3, and NV is the same engine and probably also the same basecode):

1) Set the game .exe to allow more than 2gb of RAM to be used, this will greatly reduce crashes (may not be aplicable to NV).

2) Make liberal use of the "pcb" (Purge Cell Buffer) console command durring play, apparently the game does not auto-crop all the Cell's it's storring in RAM, so you'll have to do it for it (reduces crashes and improves performance when it's gotten bad after a while).

3) Disable all Auto-Saving, and never use Quick-save either, press ESC and do all your saving the old fashioned way, and allways save to a new file (and do it often! you never know when it'll crash anyway).

4) Sleep, lots, go on 4 day (4x 24h) or even longer sleeping binges on a regular basis, this will reset the gameworld, and any glitching out ragdolls and other nastyness along with it that may cause the game to run unstable, it does wonders for crash-prevention (remember how i said my last Fo3 save was totally borked? sleeping for a week fixed it!).

5) If you like using mods (and you probably do), learn how to make a "merged patch" with apps like Fo3Edit, it'll vastly reduce the chances of conflicts (but broken mods allways will be broken, and should be disabled if found).

6) Save before every Quest no matter how big or small, for every one of them, there's about 20 ways you could potentially break the scripts, just by doing something the Dev's did not anticipate.

7) Never use the Pib-Boy Radio, it is a thing of evil and crashing.

Do the above, and you will only have the odd random crash every once and a while, fail to do the above, and the game may well become unplayable over time (sure it'll start off fine, but all thouse glitches eventually catch up to it, and then it's crash city!).

Upvote 0
Those are some pretty paranoid ideas, Grobut.

If you're having problems that warrant such behavior I'd suspect a problem outside of the game.

Nope, go check out the Fallout nexus forums, or any fallout related forum, and you will find thease are all commonly suggested workarounds, because they actually do work, and there seems to be no end to the flood of people who are having serious problems with the game.

Ever seen the troubleshooting section of the official forum? wow.. just.. wow! :eek:

Upvote 0