• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Booleen or walls for buildings in 3DS Max

I used simple shapes for walls added a custom brick texture and then as Tripwire did in their stock meshes spreaded these loose brick parts to create the damaged look. You could creat another material to get the desired color for the stock brick parts. So it suits your own texture. Its easier to use the stock texture off course

This works for brick walls. For concrete walls you need a different approach. It looks ok for me. As the brick parts
hides the simple shape nice. If you want i will post a close up screen later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catalavos
Upvote 0
In this example I use a stock texture on a simple wall part

wall_3a.jpg

Here the same part selected in the editor

wall_3.jpg

Here another simple ruined wall.

wall_4.jpg

In the next two sreens I used the stock ruined floor mesh. Gave it a brick texture and
rotated to use it as a wall and added the brickparts.

You will find the mesh here:
StaticMesh'Props_RedOctoberFactory.Dest_Floors.Mesh.ROF_Dest_Floor_1'

In game....

wall_1.jpg

And selected in the editor

wall_1b.jpg

Here you can see that with my own texture.

To get a good result play with the size of the added brick mesh. Have to correct
that in my own map later....

wall_2.jpg

It might be a simple trick but but what could one expect from a simple man. :p:p:p:p

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm definately on the grid but the Boolean function creates extra vertices that run from at least one (and sometimes all 4) corner of each window to each corner of the "wall". I'm sure there's a way to have only the bare number of vertices.

I've had success with the "extrude" function but I keep forgetting how I got it to work.

I've done something like this-
Create a plane, rotate it to vertical, make a box, intersect it with the plane, (now this is where the wheels come off) change one of the shapes into an editable poly (?), extrude the "box" shape, then select and delete the surfaces that were extruded. Sometimes I end up with a window, other times I end up with a box that won't extrude from the plane.

Upvote 0
First off I'm a 3D Max NooB. I used several tutorials. And I preferred the 3D motive workflow. Which goes something like this.

Step one make a 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 texture. Make it tileable or not that depends on what you need. Now use the grid function in photoshop and setting a grid line for every 128 pixels. And enable snap to grid. Then create your texture. You can use a plain tileable wall or make other parts like beams but always fit them into these grid lines.

Then in 3D Max make a plane 2048x2048 with 16 length and width segments. And assign your texture. Then turn the plane into an editable poly.

From there you can use parts of your plane and with shift/rmb clone parts.
You can remove edges by select them and do an CTRL/backspace.
You can add edges by the connect function. And you can use the extrude function by selecting the polygons and extrude them.

From there you can give a plain wall and walls with doors back side by the cap function. Select the empty backsides border and then pick cap.
This doesn't work when your wall part has a window. Then I just copy the front side mirror it and turn it around then attach it to the backside.

Hope this NooB do it yourself 3D Max approach helps. Otherwise check
the 3D Motive tutorial.

Upvote 0