• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pyramid Head: A new Monster

Valimer

Jan 7, 2012
Hello everyone! First post on the forums, thought I would share something my friend and I thought up that would add another interesting element to the game. A new monster.

Not Pyramid Head per se, but an equivalent monster. Extra terrifying and horrific. But for now, I'll refer to the new monster as Pyramid Head.

Here's how it would work. Pyramid Head would be very slow, slower than bloats. He would also be near invincible. It would be easy to get away from him, but if you got too close, he would one hit K.O. you no matter how much health or kevlar you have.

Here's the kicker, he can show up on any wave. Wave 1 or Wave 10. BUT there is only a small% chance he will show up at all. If he does, and he is not killed, he will vanish at the end of the wave if he is the only creature left.

So in summary: A new entity that you have to avoid but nearly impossible to kill throughout the duration of the wave. Appears randomly, if it appears at all, and disappears if its the last creature left.

Personally I think it would add an exciting new element to the game. You could even make it so that the creature was so rare and so hard to kill that you got an achievement for killing it!

--EDIT:
To clear things up:
Of course it's not supposed to be Pyramid Head (see original post)
He should be slower than Bloat.
He has basically a ~10% of spawning.

Instead of having massive amounts of HP, he has a ridiculous amount of damage reduction. That way, players can't exploit him for XP.

Last edited:
First thing, I think copyright owners of the Silent Hill franchise would have something against the fact he'd be called / looked like pyramid head.

BUT the idea of introducing a totally invincible juggernaut that slowly marches towards the team is great. Why? Because that would make holding one location throughout the entire wave impossible and would force the team to switch positions.

For example, a party lurks in tunnel on westlondon and the juggernaut approaches. The team needs to form a plan where to move, (for example the church) clear the way ahead and hold the new position until the monster lumbers there too. Rinse and repeat until every other zed is dead. Alternatively, a brave medic or zerk could try to draw the juggernaut's attention away from the team, and kite it around the map to buy his mates some time.

So, I'm big fan of that idea, but I think this should be a mutator / new gamemode altogether.

Reactions: Valimer and Aze
Upvote 0
First thing, I think copyright owners of the Silent Hill franchise would have something against the fact he'd be called / looked like pyramid head.

BUT the idea of introducing a totally invincible juggernaut that slowly marches towards the team is great. Why? Because that would make holding one location throughout the entire wave impossible and would force the team to switch positions.

For example, a party lurks in tunnel on westlondon and the juggernaut approaches. The team needs to form a plan where to move, (for example the church) clear the way ahead and hold the new position until the monster lumbers there too. Rinse and repeat until every other zed is dead. Alternatively, a brave medic or zerk could try to draw the juggernaut's attention away from the team, and kite it around the map to buy his mates some time.

So, I'm big fan of that idea, but I think this should be a mutator / new gamemode altogether.

I agreed about all this ^

Just think about it: It would add a whole lot more suspense to the game. You might feel safe (maybe you will be, it might not spawn!), but all of a sudden it could scare the living crap out of the team, since you have to move out.

I like the idea a lot, but like others have said, i'd prefer it mostly as a mutator (at least tested as one first)

Reactions: Valimer
Upvote 0
I love this idea, but I'd feel bad for players who favor camping. Even if he just had a ton of HP rather than invulnerability, this specimen would be hard to balance due to the amount of ammo they'd have to spend on him.

The point is not to kill him, it is to stay away from him. Also remember, he might show up maybe 1 time in 10 waves

Upvote 0
I agreed about all this ^

Just think about it: It would add a whole lot more suspense to the game. You might feel safe (maybe you will be, it might not spawn!), but all of a sudden it could scare the living crap out of the team, since you have to move out.

I like the idea a lot, but like others have said, i'd prefer it mostly as a mutator (at least tested as one first)

Yes! This is what I was going for! I also think it be best if it was a mutator, I did not consider that. I wish it was not, because then players could still gain xp, but I see now that would be impossible. It would be easy to rack up damage on the near invincible creature who would be easy to avoid.

But that's also why he would be so rare, I also think that if he does show up, players should take advantage of that if they can.

Also, he would show up more often if it was a mutator. maybe 50/50

Upvote 0
Thanks for the enthusiasm! This idea has been better received than I had anticipated.
To clear things up:
Of course it's not supposed to be Pyramid Head (see original post)
He should be slower than Bloat.
He has basically a ~10% of spawning.
----
If we made him invincible, then you would not get XP for shooting at him.
OR
Instead of having massive amounts of HP, he has a ridiculous amount of damage reduction. That way, players can't exploit him for XP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Idea is interesting, but as it is defined now, it makes impossible to camp but in the same time has no effect against zerker team due to slow speed of this specimen. As I see it, in result we will get even more zerker+medic kitting teams on public servers, and I don't want this to happen.

Also I don't like uncertainty: I think it is ridiculous that one team can get Pyramid Head in early wave while another team can successfully fight though 9 waves and get this specimen in wave 10 along with 3 FPs. Imo Pyramid Head should appear only in certain waves (but then appear always or at least in 90% cases), e.g. wave 4 and wave 8 - cause they are boring, and this could make them interesting.

As I see it, it is not necessarily to kite - team can keep Pyramid Head behind welded door as well.
Maybe as an option, there should be randomly-chosen location on the map, where Pyramid Head dies by himself when walks into it. So team could not supposed to kite though an entire wave, but just lure Pyramid Head to that spot and then get back to camping.

Reactions: Aze
Upvote 0
Love the idea, but the concept is flawed though.

This is just my opinion on the matter, nothing else, don't take it as otherwise, but...

What i think that "pyramid head" should be is a boss. Much like the patriarch, but instead of spawning on wave 11, it could spawn on the end of wave 10, before the patriarch (or something like it) in conjuntion with a low to moderate ammount of regular zeds.

IMO, the specimen should not be invincible though, that would be too much. It should have a high ammount of resistances (preventing exploits, like you suggested, loved the idea), and a moderate attack damage and slow move speed.

HOWEVER, he had a rage bar. If players kept too far away from him, the bar would rise. If it reaches maximum, pyramid head would then charge at the players (faster than a fleshpound), dealing near fatal damage (fatal in higher dificulties) to one player, and the rage bar would then reset (prevents abusive kiting).

Pyramid head would be able to reflect part of the melee damage dealth to him as armor ignoring damage (In order to bring some damned balance to berserkers)

The boss would have a weak point in it's back in which he would recieve increased damage, and melee attacks to that area would not trigger damage reflection.

He should be added as an official mut, whitelisted of course, to be easily added or removed from a server.

just my view on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0