• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are grenades underpowered ?

No they're not. Yet again we're confusing paper fact for reality of practice here folks. The effective range of a grenade or any HE device in the field as stated only takes into account ideal conditions. It assumes that the grenade has been properly stored, is fresh off the assembly line, lands on a flat surface, etc.

10m guaranteed kill radius? Yeah sure. Tell that to Joe Toye, that funny little event that happened in Band of Brothers where he lived through 2 point blank grenade detonations actually happened. Don't get me wrong, this isn't to say i'd pop off grenades in my living room for laughs. I'm just saying, munitions almost never work as well as their manufacturers advertise and their are no guarantees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's weak. It's weak on purpose, and the Germans used them in showers of 4-10 at a time. The Splitterring was a later war invention that significantly increased their kill/wound radius.

Edited for sppeeelllong.

This is also true. Offensive grenades are designed to be thrown in clusters by attackers who will not be very far from the weapon when it goes off.

Upvote 0
No, it's not. But only because you're supposed to be running in the direction of the throw.

I get that you're trying to throw it into an enemy position while staying as far as possible, but, it strikes me that the defenders would want the heavy fragmentation to happen farther away from them.

Frankly, I'm a little bummed stick grenades went out of style. They may not be as compact as the balls or pineapples or whatever we have nowadays, but they're still freaking cool.

Upvote 0
I get that you're trying to throw it into an enemy position while staying as far as possible, but, it strikes me that the defenders would want the heavy fragmentation to happen farther away from them.

Frankly, I'm a little bummed stick grenades went out of style. They may not be as compact as the balls or pineapples or whatever we have nowadays, but they're still freaking cool.

Oh, I gotcha. I wasn't getting your implying the bit about defensive grenades. Versteh.

Upvote 0
Defensive grenades are intended to be thrown *out* of trenches and covered positions. Primarily to deter attackers from getting too close.

Sticks are still used in a number of anti tank grenade designs because they give the grenade a sense of direction after its thrown. Very important for a shaped charge. Some also stock a tiny parachute in the handle that holds the grenade almost straight when it impacts.

Upvote 0
Ah ok, I see. That's a PzF250 warhead. I was trying to figure out how a 60/80 would work with that.
There was also a version for the 150, but I couldn't find any pics. Then there was also the Schrappnellfaust (anti-personnel weapon, reloadable, 400m range, and designed to air burst at 2 to 3 meters) and the Luftfaust (man portable anti-aircraft launcher in two versions, A model with 4 tubes, and B with 9 tubes) which were both undergoing combat trials when the war ended. There were also plans for a Gasfaust and Flammfaust (unrelated to the Einstossflammenwerfer).

But these are all late war weapons, and not very common. Only about 100 Schrappnellfaust and 80 Luftfaust saw combat use for example.

Upvote 0
Oh dear god, I remember the nade spam in RO1 and it just dominated maps as most players would not run out of grenades, people loot the people he just killed with one, then loot the dead team mates, runs back to ammo crate or if he had nothing kill a team mate just to get nades...

As for the artillery, another Oh Dear God as on Spartanvokia I can at least 60 kills with artillery without trying, I mean, what next do you want them fire star bust shells and riddle the while map with shrapnel like they did in the real war?

Upvote 0
Oh dear god, I remember the nade spam in RO1 and it just dominated maps as most players would not run out of grenades, people loot the people he just killed with one, then loot the dead team mates, runs back to ammo crate or if he had nothing kill a team mate just to get nades...

What the hell? That never happened at all. You people surely love to exaggerate ROOST's "nade spam".

A handful of inf maps did indeed have what you could call "nade spam" in ROOST, most notoriously Danzig and a few specific objectives on larger maps. Still, it didn't "dominate maps", it didn't dominate anything, nades had the usefulness you'd expect from them, as they had a more realistic kill radius than in RO2.

---

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
What the hell? That never happened at all. You people surely love to exaggerate ROOST's "nade spam".

A handful of inf maps did indeed have what you could call "nade spam" in ROOST, most notoriously Danzig and a few specific objectives on larger maps. Still, it didn't "dominate maps", it didn't dominate anything, nades had the usefulness you'd expect from them, as they had a more realistic kill radius than in RO2.

---
I remember Odessa, Leningrad and Warsaw being pains, I used to prefer the much more open maps so that there not be nade spamming over the objectives, I remember it all to well...

Upvote 0
I remember Odessa, Leningrad and Warsaw being pains, I used to prefer the much more open maps so that there not be nade spamming over the objectives, I remember it all to well...

It was never nade spamming. It was a team using their grenades to control or clear an area very well. Not a pain unless you keep running into it over and over without changing tactics. This is how grenades were used in the real deal as well.

Upvote 0
Yeah, as much as people complain about it, the grenade spam in Danzig is actually relatively sensible as a tactic, since players are bombarding the bottleneck crossing points needed to reach the primary objectives. It's certainly effective.

I would say it was considerably less likely for problematic grenade spamming in Ostfront to begin with, seeing as how you had more limits on how many of the things you could carry at a time. In RO2, players gladly stuff their pockets with every grenade they find, which leads to instances of one player desperately seeking cover as the enemy soldier turns around and wings an entire armament factory's worth at him.

Upvote 0
It was never nade spamming. It was a team using their grenades to control or clear an area very well. Not a pain unless you keep running into it over and over without changing tactics. This is how grenades were used in the real deal as well.

Germans and Russians exchanging dozens of grenades at the socket of the Siegess

Reactions: slyder73
Upvote 0
Also, most "nade spam" took place at very predictable spots. Usually when I was new to a ROOST map I'd take the obvious, unsafe route to an objective and fall prey to pre-thrown grenades. Stuff like that is not a "problem" any more than pre-firing on common camping spots or predicting where people will come from based on knowledge of their spawn points. It's "gamey", yes, but it's not a problem of "nade spam", it's a problem of "you're playing a video game". "Nade spam" takes place in RO2 too (first objective, Grain Elevator, Countdown), it's just less of a "problem" because grenades have unrealistically low lethality.

---

Upvote 0