• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

G41 Scoped

The G41 with the ZF-1 is probably one of the earliest examples of a scout rifle, it's meant, as the name sugest, to scouting purposes, the scope is mounted above the rearsight or in front of it so the operators has a better spatial awareness. The modern scout rifles normally has a low power (less than 3x) scope with wide lens.
Modern russian snipers have a normal scope but it's mounted slightly offset so they can use the ironsights at less than 300 meters range. The best example is the Dragunov SVD with the 1P21 3x-12x scope.

As for the AVT, it shares the same problems that the FG-42 had, they are too light for a machinegun/automatic battle rifle role, although the FG-42 has a bipod as a standard so it could be used in prone position.
Also, the barrel of the Tokarev rifles are too light and heated up easily, whereas the FG-42 had tungsten in the composition on its steel.

I wonder if soviet soldiers in real life attached homemade bipods in their AVTs, or adapted a DP-28 bipod to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a question -- I have no idea about this historically, but wouldn't it make a ton more sense just to mount that sight much farther back similar to any other scope? Why is it so far forward? What is the point?

Read the post just above yours.

I have to say after having used it exclusively for a while it has grown on me. I still think there is an alignment issue regarding the scope picture not being physically aligned with the world behind it, but it's a good weapon for picking off enemies in windows, under rail cars, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a question -- I have no idea about this historically, but wouldn't it make a ton more sense just to mount that sight much farther back similar to any other scope? Why is it so far forward? What is the point?

It was mounted like that in real life for, most likely, the reasons I pointed out in my previous post in this thread, that's above yours BTW.
Also, because the G41 can only be loaded with stripper clips or individual rounds since the magazine is fixed.
Also, the G41 was pretty much a prototype rifle, and the germans realized all its flaws and experienced first hand how the soviet SVT-40 was more effective, this lead to redesign of the rifle that resulted in the G43 that incorporates a less complicated gas system, a detechable magazine and a effective, more normal scope mount, that's also detachable.

Probably the best feature of the G43 is the scope mount attached on a dovetail rail, this system, that requires no screws or bolts, was copied by the soviets after the war ended and implemented it on sniper rifles, assault rifles, machineguns, RPGs, you name it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THIS is what ive been looking for. I DETEST the sniper scopes taking up almost the entire screen, insomuch that I prefer to spawn as a Rifleman because I get to see all the movement in the periphery. I may have to get used to using the sniper rifle and level my Marksman class a bit, shame that I have to use class and gun I dislike for a role I am better suited at in a 'lesser' class with a 'lesser' weapon to unlock a weapon that I prefer.

Incidentally, is it just Hero levels that can spawn with enemy weapons? So, if soviet, I would need to be a Hero class AND manage to pick Marksman to be able to use the Scoped G41? Would an Elite riflemen ever be able to unlock the 1.5x sight at Hero levels perhaps, or as a higher level upgrade? (level 75/100 rifle?)

Upvote 0
After trying it out personally, I can say it is a complete POS. Situational awareness is better than the large scoped rifles, but the ability to actually spot enemies (at a distance - the whole idea) and align them in the scope is maybe 5% of that of the big scopes. I can't imagine the scope being in the slightest useful (now it just harms, blocking vision) except in a peaceful situation at 200 meters at least. But at that distance, the regular marksman rifles are infinitely better due to the much larger sight picture.

I would take the regular G41 or the K98 with scope any day. This weapon is a hybrid that doesn't do anything well.

Upvote 0
This gun's scope has a major problem - the sight picture is that of the center of the screen while the sight itself is resting well above it.

Basically this is impossible since it insinuates that the picture is somehow being mirrored from another location.

If the sight was resting properly in the center of the screen, or showed picture directly ahead of it, then it would atleast work properly.

Currently at the moment I always have to zoom in, and then move my scope up a considerable degree before I can even see my target, which is extremely disorienting. No other sight needs this to be done, since when you aim down them they are all proplerly centered in the middle of the screen.

100% Agreed

Upvote 0
Tripwire please fix how the scope/sight picture is misaligned. When you aim, the scope shows an area of the screen that is much lower down than it should be. This can be fixed by moving the entire weapon when aiming down, or just changing the sight picture to be at it's proper elevation.

This, I'd like to use it, but it's obviously misaligned atm.

Upvote 0