• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 peak at 9300 players

Ah, I hadn't realised this - I just checked play.com too, and they also state 16th for the boxed version.

So yes, in that case - many more incoming, and since it's a Steam game, we'll see meaningful stats on there.

I think (assume!) that most sales would happen digitally, so maybe we'll see 15K or so once the boxed copies are in the wild? It'd be nice if goes to 20K though :)

lots of ppl are waiting for the reviews to show 8/10 or higher.

Upvote 0
It won't drop as quick as allot of commercial games, sure they start higher but hidden games like this have a real dedicated audience years after it's release. Like pop music and underground music, fewer people might play this game, but the ones who do cherish it so much more.:)
those games are designed to drop quick, so ppl are buying the next..

Upvote 0
world of tanks has 220K simultaneous players .. and its free so its like 22 times more than TWI has

seeing what devs have made of RO1 in RO2 i am pretty sure RO3 will be F2P with special gold ammopacks exp boosts and rented weapons and tanks
buy carbide tip ammo for 10 gold a shot .. and flackjackets so grenades wont hurt u too much ;)

Upvote 0
Black Ops had a pretty rough start as well.

It started with about 14k people simultaneously playing. The game didn't really work for many people right from the start.
After it started working for more people it rose to about 50k to 60k people. During the next days it slowely rose towards a peek of 90k or so.

Eventually it fell back to about 70k and it stayed there for a while, from there it started dropping with about 10k people every 1 or 2 months or so.
I would guess that the amount of people playing right now is around 20k to 30k. The rapid decline was a prime example of how the game wasn't really all that interesting after people went through all the unlocks.

With Red Orchestra 2 I would expect the following, around 4k people at start due to the many issues that people are having. Around 8k once people get their issues fixed. Around 20k people when all the retaildiscs arrive. Once more issues get fixed the game will go to 30k people, where it will slowely rise to a peak of about 40k. After it will stay stable for a while and then drop to about 20 to 30k people again. This will probably be the community for the first few years, perhaps a slight increase once the popular mods come out and from there a very slow decline until it reaches about the same population RO1 about 5 months before the RO2 release.

Upvote 0
Amazon Amazon Amazon. Still waiting for my order to be dispatched. I loved the comment about "kids not having a credit card" being the reason why people use Amazon.

I'm a dad and it was cheaper for me to get the boxed than the Steam version. It's pre-order value got reduced from the original price I ordered it at - 1st class postage + game is costing me

Upvote 0
Many people are waiting for a boxed release.

Many kiddies are too young to get a Mastercard and too scared of their parents to sneak it out of their wallets (to buy on Steam).

People were buying boxed RO1 even 5 years after release.

so just be patient...

This. Me, and lots of polish buyers are still waiting for their boxed versions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
lots of ppl are waiting for the reviews to show 8/10 or higher.

To be honest - and not wishing to offend those people - RO2 can do without them :) Yes, TWI would benefit from selling lots of copies - but I think it's fair to say that *most* people who go strictly on review scores without further investigation, wouldn't make good RO players anyway. If you're prepared to accept a stranger's opinion without actually digging deeper, you do not think enough for a game like RO. That might seem harsh, but it's also true :)

There are plenty of people like this out there - they're responsible for certain games being at the top of the Steam stats list. You could say it'd be nice for them to spend the money on RO2 and then hop back to their previous game, but in doing so they make a lot of negative (and potentially unfounded/misguided) noise.

I'd say GameSpy's 4.5/5 (or 9/10) is a damn good start - lots of people trust GameSpy (I don't know why...). I'm really not sure if we'll appreciate the influx that review could generate, but meh - each sale that TWI can make does make me happy, even if we have to put up with the crap it can cause. A healthy TWI is good for all of us :)

Reactions: Sensemann
Upvote 0
Many people are waiting for a boxed release.

Many kiddies are too young to get a Mastercard and too scared of their parents to sneak it out of their wallets (to buy on Steam).

People were buying boxed RO1 even 5 years after release.

so just be patient...

Seriously doubt this. These "kiddies" wouldn't have a clue what RO2 is if it didn't pop up on their STEAM screen when they went to play other games.

Upvote 0
guessing.. it will go up. Typically I play through SP before jumping into MP. This time I jumped into MP right away. Not to mention weekend warriors

if you mean that number isn't tracking SP, that's not correct. the steam ticker stats reports these numbers based on the game being launched and running on the user's system. it doesn't care what mode you play.

if i misunderstood your comment, sorry in advance.

Upvote 0
Currently there are 3,529 users playing RO2.
Today's peak was 7,366.

I'ts currently the twentieth most played game.
More people are playing RO2 than Portal 2.
More people than Torchlight. More people than Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.
Half as many people are playing HoS as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, arguably the summer blockbuster of the year.

Killing Floor is still going strong at 2,321 peak players today.

Considering there are so many awesome games on Steam, I think HoS and TW are doing rather well.

Upvote 0
Currently there are 3,529 users playing RO2.
Today's peak was 7,366.

I'ts currently the twentieth most played game.
More people are playing RO2 than Portal 2.
More people than Torchlight. More people than Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2.
Half as many people are playing HoS as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, arguably the summer blockbuster of the year.

Killing Floor is still going strong at 2,321 peak players today.

Considering there are so many awesome games on Steam, I think HoS and TW are doing rather well.

So it beat a lot of old games with no or limited multiplayer (and therefore less replayability)?

Upvote 0