• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A few thoughts on the beta, before it closes:

Private Who?

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006
Texas
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly.

1st off let me say I like the game. There's a lot about it that's better than ROOst. It has a lot of potential to have staying power.

The Good:
-sounds. the sounds are incredible. all of the ambient sounds, the weapon sounds...all of that are just off the hook awesome.
-player animations. again, superb. everything about that is well done, down to the little details of dropped grenades rolling downhill when a player dies.
-gameplay. overall again very good. I still like territory best, but firefight surprised me. I like it better than I thought I would.
-the tactical view. I really like being able to hit 'T' and get a quick idea of where I'm at. I probably won't use it so much when I get more familiar with the maps, but then again it's something I'd have loved to have in ROOst with maps I was less familiar with.

The Bad & The Ugly:
-bugs. Last night I was playing, shot my last round, reloaded..and TRIED to fire. Nothing. Reload again, try to fire. Nothing. by then they were on to me and all I could do was watch as a Russian came up on me and pistol shot me point blank. This was with a G41. My friend had the same thing happen w/ an MP40...and others I've spoken to have had the same issue.
-crashing. not as frequent now, but still happens.
-the use/bandage/cover bind. This has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in a game. And yes I know you can ini hack to separate them, but still...that's gotta be fixed.
-the cover system overall. meh. I feel like I'm always getting clipped to something...and have an awkward time getting off of it in hot moments. It's a good idea, but I think it's poorly implemented, especially with the aforementioned key-bind.
-overall performance. this is a real disappointment. i'm running OK, but just OK. i'd have thought that a system that can run RO maxed to the hilt at 85-90 fps woud do a solid 40 minimum in this game. not so. 30 average...playable for the most part, but just barely by my standards. (maybe I need lower standards?)

A note on the maps:
They're beautiful. They look really nice. A few of them are even fun to play...but that's about it. Most favorite: Station, Apartments, Red October Factory.

Least favorite by far: Spartanovka. Tiny little linear map, little room for flanking. It reminds me of a poor man's Basovka....and that's small by RO standards, but at least Basovka balanced and fun to play from either side.

Overall, I get the feeling I'm REALLY going to miss maps that are big with lots of room for maneuver. With the complexity of this game graphically, I'm not sure I see maps coming the size of some of the better RO maps.

So...again....lots of POTENTIAL. I really hope Tripwire polishes this game up in the weeks/months to come. I'm fine with it releasing tomorrow, I'm a die-hard and I'll stick with it...but it remains to be seen how new much slack new players will give Tripwire.

I stick by my rating in another thread of 8.5...but I now say 8.5 as a stand-alone game with the caveat that I know Tripwire will get it right eventually. As a strict comparison to ROOSt in terms of maps and overall gameplay...RO is the winner. But alas...out with the old and in with the new eh?

No, the cover system is pretty goofy right now I have to agree. It'll get hammered out.

And leaning is bugged, last I heard. It leans your body, but your weapon still fires as if it was in the neutral position.

As for OP, a very fair assessment, I would say. Most all of that is going to be fixed with Day 0 patches, but there are still valid concerns in there.

Upvote 0
Well i think your standards are fine , anything below 60 for me starts making me panic , guess it comes from the days of quake 1 always trying to maximize frames and then onto q2 etc just got some sort of fps perception .

Playing ps3 / xbox 360 games also drives me nuts , me "noo fps drops damn gears of wars" my friend "what ? mine is fine !"

Actually swaped 3 xbox 360 before accepting it's just how it goes .

Also uncharted drove me mad , even with the low fps it plays at i could still notice fps drops :(

Upvote 0
No, the cover system is pretty goofy right now I have to agree. It'll get hammered out.

And leaning is bugged, last I heard. It leans your body, but your weapon still fires as if it was in the neutral position.

As for OP, a very fair assessment, I would say. Most all of that is going to be fixed with Day 0 patches, but there are still valid concerns in there.

I think the cover system is great, though you still need to learn how to use it. Its quite effective as you can quickly pop up, take a shot, pop back in to bolt with a simple mouse click, not to mention the fact that your body is less exposed this way than the classical crouch-stand kinda a thing.

Upvote 0
I think the cover system is great, though you still need to learn how to use it. Its quite effective as you can quickly pop up, take a shot, pop back in to bolt with a simple mouse click, not to mention the fact that your body is less exposed this way than the classical crouch-stand kinda a thing.

Well, by goofy I mean that I run into enough bugs to discourage me from using it.

Sometimes it just decides that I don't need to peek around that corner, and it'll spaz my camera out. Other times he won't bring his rifle to bear while in cover. Other times I'll go to blindfire a grenade and it'll bounce off the wall right at my feet.

I just don't feel like I can trust it.

Upvote 0
You need to learn how to use the cover system, sometimes it has it's uses sometimes it doesn't. I pretty much like it a lot on every map besides spartanovka, the cover system on that map is bugged as hell.

But, I love the cover system.

It's just our love is a fickle one, and it often leaves me helpless and unable to engage an enemy presumably just for the lulz.

I can't trust it. :(

Upvote 0
I have to say I'm not a fan of the cover system. However, I am glad that it is not essential to game play - I can manage just fine with crouch and lean. It's a good move by Tripwire to not force it on players, as I reckon Im not the only one who find it's more of a hindrance than a help.

Overall, I think the game is great, bar the bugs and performance issues. Hopefully they will sort those ASAP.

Upvote 0
Basovka don't feel balanced in my experience. german didn't have arty from the spawn and only way to get it was to cap the first trench cap. also the russians have like 5 arty strikes total. most of the time the germans get slaughtered. russians should have had max 2 arty. atleast multiply squad leaders in ro 2 means more smoke.

those free for all capping maps were the most balanced. bocklin and baskan valley.

Upvote 0
Had an scene where i had to cover on the wall rather then bein able to bandage. That made me slowly die from a pointless wound..

^^This. Same thing has happened to me several times. Same thing if you want to pick up a dropped weapon and you are too close to cover. It's just clunky overall. Good idea, poor implementation.

BUT...I'd balance that out with mantling which was sorely missed in ROOst and not quite as well implemented in DH. Not having to walk around a 2 1/2 foot tall rock wall is very nice I must admit.

Back to the maps: I'd really love to know if there are any plans for larger maps, especially for tanking. I know Black Day July was an added map from a map competition. It'd be nice to know that maybe Tripwire had plans on that same sort of thing for ROHoS or was perhaps planning on larger maps for serious tank battles in the future.

I know that there are plans for a release of more tanks and troop carriers to be released sometime in the near-term. Since none of the maps we have now are really big enough to warrant a troop carrier, this might be a sign of larger maps to come?

-BUT- that begs the question of even poorer performance on ever larger maps, right? It looks like the maps we have now are on the scale of StalingradKessel, Krasni, maybe Lyes Krovy. Don't get me wrong, those are GREAT maps...I love them. But once you play through them a few times, you get a real appreciation for the really big combined arms maps with longer round times.

There's a lot to be answered in the coming weeks. Sort of like Texas Longhorn football...I'm a big fan but a little bit anxious about this season.

Upvote 0