• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realism and Custom Mode questions

Flogger23m

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2009
If you have been frequenting the forum as of late you would have noticed that many people are confused regarding what exactly the Realism and Custom mode is and is not. It would be nice to get more information on the different game modes considering the release date is less than two months away.

The point of this thread is so that TWI/devs can reply to questions regarding this topic in one thread rather steering multiple threads off topic. I realize some (or even most) of these questions might have been answered before, but it would be nice to get all of the answers in a single thread. TWI and staff - you can reply whenever it is convenient or even choose not to reply.

If any other members have other questions that they would like TWI to answer regarding the differences between Realism, Custom and Relaxed modes, post a reply and I will update the OP (or a moderator can).

The following are questions that many of us have regarding the different game modes:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed ect. for experience players) in the Realism mode?

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks/rare weapons will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums? Will servers be able to choose which specific weapons or unlocks are unavailable?

6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, no rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?

Thanks for reading.

Edit: Here is Ramms response:

Some of the other guys already mentioned this, but essentially we're still playing around with the realism/relaxed realism mode settings and they aren't finalized yet. Basically we've got a bunch of options and we're still working on nailing down which ones will be turned on/off for the different settings levels. But I'll give you some answers that you should not consider set in stone:

1) Are there weapon unlocks in the Realism mode? Are there rare weapons?
Yes and yes.

2) Are there heroes in the Realism mode?
Yes

3) Is there player progression (increased running speed ect. for experience players) in the Realism mode?
Yes

4) How in depth will the Custom mode filter be? Can we select our filter to only show Custom mode servers, and then further specify the filter to show Custom mode servers with no unlocks?
You can filter by "Standard", "Realistic", and "Custom". We may look at adding some additional filtering features should they be needed post release.

5) In Realism/Custom mode without unlocks/rare weapons will the players be issued common equipment such as bayonets and PPSH-41 drums? Will servers be able to choose which specific weapons or unlocks are unavailable?
In custom mode you have a lot of different options. You can limit which weapons, and which levels of ranking are available. So if you don't want the rare weapons, you can tell the server not to allow them. If you don't want guys to have "perks" or any ranking benefits, then you can limit that. I don't think there are any settings to force things on though. In realism mode however, it is going to be set up where only the historically correct classes are equipped with pistols.

6) Are there any plans for an "RO Classic" game mode (Realism but with no player progression, no rare weapons and no unlocks)? Or is this what the Realism mode is going to be?
No there is not a plan for this. To be perfectly honest with you, most of the RO1 players coming into the beta love the new game so much it doesn't really seem necessary. Although you can accomplish most of these things with different settings in the Custom mode.

7) Aside from the HUD and the features mentioned above, what else is different in Realism VS Relaxed modes? Are there any differences in running speed ect.?
Currently core gameplay does not change. Bullets still kill you, you run at the same speed, etc. This is subject to change though as we finish balancing the game out. The difference between the two modes is primarily about hud features, spectating modes, etc.

Thanks for taking your time to address our concerns. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this from that thread! These are very important questions that are critically important to the loyal RO1 community. Answering them would go a long way towards helping us understand RO2 and would definitely help quell much of the uncertainty and (warranted) negativity on the forums as of late.

Upvote 0
As someone who's indifferent to most of these questions, I still give my +1 for a good seeking of answers :)

Hopefully this gets answered and deters the negativity we have been seeing :)

and whether or not your server is realism, custom, or relaxed, I'll be playing with you if you have low ping!

Here's hoping for a strong community! :IS2:

Upvote 0
What happens if they choose not to answer?

The world will end and everyone dies a fiery death? :p

Seriously, if they don't answer, then they don't and everyone will continue to post questions and worry right up until the game is released I guess.

Good basic questions Flogger, and done respectfully. You hit all the major points without getting nitpicky on every little thing. It will make it easier for TWI to reply when they get a chance and definitely have things confirmed on their end.

Reactions: [TW]schneidzekk
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I guess what will happen is that you will be glad that the people who you were arguing against didn't get the answers they wanted.

Now stop trying to flamebait in this thread.

Mmm so what your saying is that i am not allowed to ask questions or is it only those "certain members" who are deemed worthy enough to post about (self important) community issues than can ask questions?

You see it is ever so easy to change the focus of a topic which is what has been happening over and over again in thread after thread in these forums.
And whilst those who feel they are in some way justified in derailing thread after thread and claim "the community" must be told..
When what they really means is "my mates and me must be told" the truth is we are none of us entitled to anything from TWI.
And as it seems now there was no "consipracy" just simple design decisions to be made before some things could be put into place.
Perhaps the merchants of doom will be silenced by the answers they have sought..But I doubt it some how.

TWI are making a product and it is your choice and right to decide if you will purchase it or not.
It does not give people the right to insult, slander, harass and belittle their product, their staff or any other person in these forums.

This thread obviously means alot to those who are now posting on it so think on when you decide to derail that of someone else..

Now finally and despite your obvious misconceptions about me I will be only to happy to see you get the answers to these (so called) "critical" questions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0