• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Show off your WIP *other* Unreal/Source engine maps

Doesn't UE3 have speedtree with its huge library of trees that can be auto generated? UE3 got support for the latest version in the udk.

It has speedtree integration, but I don't think that means it's free. UDK just happens to have it because Epic is awesome. And the tree library definitely isn't free, for example the UDK speedtree just has four or five (can't remember) sample trees.

Upvote 0
@ Lt_Kettch At this moment I really have no idea what to do. Its clear that maps rely on meshes. So chances are people will made maps from stock meshes which will make a lot of maps look the same. Correct me if i'm wrong here.

So an original custom ROHOS map will take more work then a map made for the previous game. Custom architecture needs custom meshes and textures.
I'm still learning my way around in 3D Max. Its fun for sure and have plans for at least one map. A German wiki provided tons of material. I love the German gr

Upvote 0
Yes at the moment mapping for Iron Europe means making content especially custom meshes which set the mood for that time period.

I understand that you have your own ideas (everybody has). I really liked your maps in RO and I am looking forward to your new projects.

But if you have meshes which you want to donate send them our way :cool:

(I am sure the other mods think the same and I am not talking about Drecks alone, if you (anyone) made content that also should or could be used in a mod, give it to the mappers so they can use it)

And what is the name of the book you were talking off :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm just a newbie with the UDK but it is a lot of fun. Now I'm not going to lie about how I designed this level myself. I watched a tutorial from Eat3D that was made my Hourences. Great tutorial and the result is fantastic, even though I just copied him, I have learned a lot.

udk_test_-_Unreal_Development_Kit_(64-bit)-2010-08-01_21.00.36.jpg

Hm, the post processing became a pit sharp, I'll have to lower that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you use a skylight or environmental light? If you're using skylight, try turning shadow casting on ;)

Yes I did, I'll check that. I also used a dominant directional light.

I just tried it, didn't seem to change anything. But I might have been doing it wrong.

Edit:

Oh wait it did! I rebuilt it and now it's a lot more.. dark.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's because it doesn't cast any shadows by default. You could try using environment lighting instead.
Go into world properties -> lightmass and then use the environmental colour, which by default is black. Set it to the ambient colour you want, like light blue for clear days etc.

Here are some comparisons:

Skylight:
skylight.jpg

Environmental:
noskylight.jpg

Also, here is skylight with shadows on:
skylightshadowson.jpg

Upvote 0
That's because it doesn't cast any shadows by default. You could try using environment lighting instead.
Go into world properties -> lightmass and then use the environmental colour, which by default is black. Set it to the ambient colour you want, like light blue for clear days etc.

Here are some comparisons:

Skylight:
*Pic*

Environmental:
*Pic*

Also, here is skylight with shadows on:
*Pic*

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying that. I'll try enviromental lightning.
I have one slight problem with another thing though, I have this post process volume, it changes the colors and whatnot to the default settings but I can't change them myself, I add DOF and whatnot but it doesn't accept the changes. Works with the main post processing that affects the whole level but not the volumes. Trying to make a post process effect for when you enter a water volume.

Edit:

Hmm. reloaded my map and now it works. Strange.

Update:

I finished the tutorial and the level. Did a little fly through so that I could tinker with kismet and matinee.

YouTube - UDK Level flythrough

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Man that is one LONG Hourences tutorial. I've done a few of the text ones on his site, but I looked that up and it says it's 4 hours long. I can imagine actual completion of the tutorial would be quite a bit longer.

I wish I had any modeling skills whatsoever. Unfortunately I don't, and I'm stuck with stock meshes. I can't even import someone else's model and successfully texture it. I always get an untextured model that I can apply one texture to, but I am not capable of making a UV wrap and all that jazz.

I was toying around in the UDK earlier today and started making a mausoleum like structure (not that surprising given the stock meshes), and it ended up becoming a total rip-off of the Taj Mahal. I didn't put much work into it but I don't really plan on making anything out of it in the long run. Just made it to kill some time, I guess. Oh and I am also noob status, but pictures speak louder than words, haha.

udktestmap.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0