• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The two difficulties

Baron Rusu

Jan 11, 2011
Australia
As far as i know there are the two diffuclties relaxed reailsm and reailsm but there is somthing i cant understand from twi take on it. do they intend to make them both equal games and to split the community into two halfs or is relaxed realism more of a baby step into the real game.

because if that is the case they would do better to call them
-beginner & normal
to encourage new players to shake off the yoke of an easy difficulty and to move on to how the game is to be played.
i say this also because i find that as an australian it would be good to have a wider choice of servers of the normal game i want to play with low ping,i know that there will be enough servers for me to play on but it just would be harder to find one with perfect rules and admins if half of the servers i find are running cod player sympthetic rules and BS.

Reactions: bobsynergy and Susi
There is no umm, actual difference between relaxed and realism. One contains your HUD and various other elements and realism doesn't.

The facts thread helps alot buddy.

Anyone who wants to grasp the feel of the game can go into singleplayer and murder bots (afaik they are pretty dynamic and hard even on regular modes) You don't need a entire gametype for the new people, gotta hit the floor running.

As for finding a server, it just takes time to find the right one with constant people on it, I'm sure they'll be plenty of options and filters from you to choose from.

Upvote 0
because if that is the case they would do better to call them
-beginner & normal
to encourage new players to shake off the yoke of an easy difficulty and to move on to how the game is to be played.

I think that is good point, if you name them beginner and normal people will move to normal difficulty in some point. Because it isnt cool to play on beginner level.

If you name them Relaxed realism and realism. You
can just play relaxed realism whole time, because
realism is just for HC geeks.

But major question is that, do we want to keep COD
boys separate from us or not?

Upvote 0
I'm sure some of the COD players will turn into genuine RO ones. I came from CODUO myself and now can't stand that franchise.

But, in some cases you are probably right. There will be more than a few of the more base COD players that will annoy the hell out of most of the rest of us with their cries of "camper" and their childish spamming of insults in VOIP and the text chat. With a little luck, hopefully I will avoid those servers.

Upvote 0
I think a difference in naming would perhaps be a good change. To encourage people to eventually make the jump.

But even something like hardcore that is used in the cod and battlefield series would be good for realistic realism. Personally i think 2 good names would be Realism with training wheels and Realism without training wheels :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I wonder how many servers will run on default "relaxed realism" or "realism", and not a mix of more or less both. Because it will be a number of server settings, not just a switch on/off right?

Correct, TWI tends to open up for a lot of server settings, essentially as we know today there are gonna be two pre-determined settings which is Relaxed Realism and Realism. The third option is to have your server run a Custom set of settings, which is assume most of us will do, to cater to our own needs and preferences.

@OP

Things like this isn't gonna divide the community, its great to have choice especially on the server side of things, locking everything down to enforce one particular play-style would be the wrong way to go.

Upvote 0
Everybody prefers realistic realism they just (including yourself) don't know it yet :p.

ps. As I said normal and hardcore are probably the most logical names, as they are somewhat in line with the more popular franchises. Without really stigmatizing any setting.

Calling relaxed realism "normal" would make it immediately the "main mode" of the game.

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0