• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What is "Hardcore Realism"?

Deek

Grizzled Veteran
May 28, 2008
Just curious, does anyone know what constitutes "Hardcore Realism" in RO2?

The devs have mentioned that none of the hardcore tweaks are currently in place, but they will be fully functional following the release of the new build. I thought maybe some of the closed beta testers might have an idea of what to expect. It has been said that the damage model will remain unchanged (which is fine, it's already about as unforgiving as it gets when the hitboxes are functioning properly) ... but what else can we expect to see?

Less HUD?
Fewer icons and/or gamer tags?
No kill confirmations?
Tweaked/removed mini map?
Slower overall game speed (sprinting)?
More sway?
More pronounced effect from being wounded/bandaging?
Different, more realistic load outs?

What else?

Last edited:
The devs have mentioned that none of the hardcore tweaks are currently in place, but they will be fully functional following the release of the new build. I thought maybe some of the closed beta testers might have an idea of what to expect. It has been said that the damage model will remain unchanged (which is fine, it's already about as unforgiving as it gets when the hitboxes are functioning properly) ... but what else can we expect to see?

The main differences are fewer interface features...For example, no more floating names above your teammates. You have to identify friends or foes yourself.

There's other minor things...like I think recon planes update less often or less omnisciently or something under hardcore.

Also, in hardcore realism mode, only support classes will get pistols, whereas in relaxed realism everyone gets them. This is the primary reason why I will play Hardcore Realism, as I think the idea of riflemen running around with pistols is stupid.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping for more sway, longer bandaging, slower iron sights etc etc if it'll be only different hud, I'll be a bit disappointed.
Is more sway really necessary for realism, not just for added difficulty? I have only fired a modern gun but there honestly wasn't much more sway when I stood there than I see in RO2 from what I can recall. And I'm not experienced with guns at all, fired two shots all my life.

Reactions: Damo
Upvote 0
The Developers said the mechanics don't change between the modes. So it's probably going to just be interface changes. If you take away death messages and name tags you're going to see the fear/stress of combat put into a lot of people. Also, disable the scoreboard entirely. The only thing a team should see is reinforcements, round time, and who is holding what ground.

Death messages are the one thing that make me really laugh at the realism community. We (I guess I am apart of that community) beat our chest about how we want the feel of combat, and people to act like their lives matter and play tactical. Yet we give everyone pacemaker and GPS notification of when it fails. It just cripples the sense of tension, and allows things like blind fire to not be so blind.

-Paas

Upvote 0
Is more sway really necessary for realism, not just for added difficulty? I have only fired a modern gun but there honestly wasn't much more sway when I stood there than I see in RO2 from what I can recall. And I'm not experienced with guns at all, fired two shots all my life.

It's not, it's just the flavor of the month request.

-Paas

Upvote 0